Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 09:58 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,950,670 times

Advertisements

Never believe bankers, corporate CEOs or politicians who claim they never saw it coming. That's just an excuse to absolve themselves of responsibility. This goes for both sides of the aisle.

As a liberal myself, I'm not afraid to admit that Barney Frank, Tim Geithner, Ben Bernanke and Larry Summers are just as responsible as Alan Greenspan, Newt Gingrich and Hank Paulson. They (and countless others) are ALL provably guilty.

Barry Ritholtz & The Washington Blog have yet another insightful post about the further corruption that screwed all of us. Kinda makes you want to join the 99%...

The Financial Crisis Was Entirely Foreseeable | The Big Picture

Essentially it boils down to the fact that those who plead ignorance are always the most culpable. That goes for almost every man-made crisis.

If you want to know who actually predicted this mess, here's a partial list:

Paul Volcker, Nouriel Roubini, John Paulson, Bill Ackman, Mark Faber, Jim Chanos, Peter Schiff, Nassim Taleb, Robert Shiller, Steve Roach, Niall Ferguson, Meredith Whitney
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 10:41 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,938,737 times
Somebody shoot me... I agree with a liberal....

Old 12-10-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Somebody shoot me... I agree with a liberal....
See? We're not all dreadlocked hippies who smell bad.

Facts are facts. We can all agree on this which gives me hope that if enough of us hold those accountable, we can get something done.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:42 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,099 times
This recession had the same in common with all recent recessions.
High energy costs
An overinflated housing market
the irresponsable spending habits of 35% of Americans.
The economy runs in 10 yr cycles with the low point ( recession) coming at the turn of the decade.
Anyone over the age of 35 who didnt see this coming wasnt paying attn.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:47 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,624,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
Never believe bankers, corporate CEOs or politicians who claim they never saw it coming. That's just an excuse to absolve themselves of responsibility. This goes for both sides of the aisle.

As a liberal myself, I'm not afraid to admit that Barney Frank, Tim Geithner, Ben Bernanke and Larry Summers are just as responsible as Alan Greenspan, Newt Gingrich and Hank Paulson. They (and countless others) are ALL provably guilty.

Barry Ritholtz & The Washington Blog have yet another insightful post about the further corruption that screwed all of us. Kinda makes you want to join the 99%...

Essentially it boils down to the fact that those who plead ignorance are always the most culpable. That goes for almost every man-made crisis.

Paul Volcker, Nouriel Roubini, John Paulson, Bill Ackman, Mark Faber, Jim Chanos, Peter Schiff, Nassim Taleb, Robert Shiller, Steve Roach, Niall Ferguson, Meredith Whitney

great post.

The line that "Nobody could've seen this coming," is obviously wrong. Many people saw this coming. You really didn't have to be some sort of visionary to see something was seriously wrong, starting in the late 90's with the tech bubble, and culminating in 2007 with the peak in malinvested housing.

what really makes my blood boil is when someone pulls out this line, that: "We are ALL at fault!"

Old 12-11-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
This recession had the same in common with all recent recessions.
High energy costs
An overinflated housing market
the irresponsable spending habits of 35% of Americans.
The economy runs in 10 yr cycles with the low point ( recession) coming at the turn of the decade.
Anyone over the age of 35 who didnt see this coming wasnt paying attn.
Actually, your theory is incorrect. This recession (2008 to current since I consider this one long recession that never truly ended no matter what the NBER says) is actually quite different from other recent recessions in that it's a debt-driven recession caught in a liquidity trap. Printing money no longer has any effect. The Fed is stuck at 0% with NEGATIVE real interest rates. It also happens to be global. here are other important differences:

1) High energy costs were not a problem in the 2001 recession. Only the 2008-to-current recession has high energy prices. Here's proof: Crude oil, avg, spot price chart, 2000-2011

2) Unemployment was in the 4% range in 2001. We're more than double that now.

3) There was no housing bubble in 2001's recession. Interest rates were higher then and a 30-year mortgage was 6.5%. It's now below 4%.

4) Recessions do NOT come in 10-year cycles with the low point coming at the end of each decade. How do you explain 2008 or 1983 or 1975?

Old 12-11-2011, 02:14 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post

i fully agree with your post. this recession could have been avoided many times since the mid 90s. for instance congress should have not gutted the glass-steagal act. bush tried twice to get congress to reign in fannie and freddie. even as late as 2007 or early 2008 the crash could have been avoided, and it could have been blunted in 2009, but the government continued to make all the wrong moves. for instance rather than spend the huge amounts of money to prop up the housing market, the government should have let it crash. had they done that, we would be in a recovery now rather than in our current situation.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:08 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,170,292 times
Actually the fed is responsible with all the money printed in thin air and all those who bought homes they could not afford added to the problem.

The builders tacked on another $50,000 to the price of the same house when the interest rate went down. Media hype added to it plus everyone was jumping in to buy a home they could not afford. Some bought two or three homes with no job thinking they could flip it and make money.

And now the banks are in big trouble with huge numbers of foreclosures that are not worth near the mortgage money they lent out on each home.. the losses are huge!!

This happened in Europe also.. we are in the same boat and we act as if we can help Europe.. the banks are all tied together and the only safety net here is the FDIC when banks go belly up and guess who has to fund FDIC... the taxpayer.. we are in deep deep deep crisis.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:57 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,096,532 times
Of course they saw it coming. They were just finished dealing with the LTCM meltdown from exactly almost 10 years earlier that was just finished being wound down. They were exposed to it with Enron. They were exposed to it w/ the dot.com bubble implosion.

For anyone to say they couldn't see it coming, should NEVER, EVER be allowed to have any position within a corporation that deals with money.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:03 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,330,501 times
Oh I am sure someone is in the know... There is noway in a land of know it all's know one knew anything. My concern is how do we get beyond it as a nation and not a political party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies