Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2011, 08:47 PM

535 posts, read 585,959 times

Advertisements

I've actually heard Newt speak in person and he's definitely a great speaker. It amazed me that he could just talk/talk, talk, talk and talk, and did it so masterfully and can keep an audience interested into what he has to say next. Do I remember one word of what he said back then? Don't think so. Do I remember what his speech was about? Not really. Did it help me in any way? No.

Do colleges waste too much money on speech givers, whether it is Newt, Palin, Gore, Bill, etc giving speeches at colleges or someone prominent from the private sector?

It seems in today's age that you can just turn to youtube to find a speech from someone or watch one on cspan, etc. Why waste so much valuable money on a 1-3 hour speech in the internet world?

If someone is being paid 50 grand to speak for 2 hours, that is ridiculous don't you think? What if the schools are being subsidized by TAX PAYER money? Don't you think they could lower the tuition costs for everyone, or give out more scholarships instead of inviting big egos to talk? Maybe lower the cost of the text books instead????

And then there's the blatant ethical measures. If a public school invites a republican to talk, shouldn't they invite a democrat before inviting another republican? But what about an independent? I guess that's probably why Newt's so popular, is because he can go both ways.

Thoughts?

Newt Gingrich: Selling Access - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies