Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 12:24 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times

Advertisements

They are important, but not on this forum. This place is only for entertainment value and periodic boredom mitigation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 12:54 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,981,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Not a rheotrical question... It's a very literal one.

I always looked at politics as a platform to learn and to tie in to the pulse of the country.

But I noticed that so many people treat it as it's a football contest.

They build arguments around things like polls which are nothing more than a clever ruse.

Stuff like astroturfing and social engineering. I mean...stuff tjat has been duping people for decades. And yet the same old tricks still conquer most.

It's like the old Tom & Jerry cartoon where theres a garden rake on either side of Tom and he keeps walking to either side only to get smacked in the face.

Do you think since your time posting on CD that you've influenced anybody to adopt any of your personal convictions?
If I can change 1 or 2 votes that's ok or maybe a person out there will see a different point of view from the members here, there are a ton of people here, not all viewers post.

There are more people paying attention to politics now, I'm glad of that.

I really don't count on polls and yes it's become a dog and pony show.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:29 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times
Local politics are far more important to me than national politics. Local stuff affects my life more and I can affect it more.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:33 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,480,513 times
Since we are on the subject, do you debate politics with family and friends? Myself , I prefer strangers, like here.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:01 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:

I always looked at politics as a platform to learn and to tie in to the pulse of the country.

They build arguments around things like polls which are nothing more than a clever ruse.

Stuff like astroturfing and social engineering. I mean...stuff tjat has been duping people for decades. And yet the same old tricks still conquer most.

It's like the old Tom & Jerry cartoon where theres a garden rake on either side of Tom and he keeps walking to either side only to get smacked in the face.

Do you think since your time posting on CD that you've influenced anybody to adopt any of your personal convictions?
Nope, don't know if I influenced anyone and don't care.

That's not what I'm here for...I'm here to have fun and poke fun at Repugs!

Politics is just one big fairly interesting soap opera...as is the rest of the world.

The world is run/controlled by the Wealthiest...period. Not politicians.

And NONE are in CD despite there silly claims...

Old 12-13-2011, 07:33 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Perhaps going a little off-topic here, but I think it was either Trotsky or Lenin who said (paraphrase) ''You might not be interested in politics, but politics is interested in you."

I think that's why people tend to get more interested in politics as they get older. They learn the hard way that 'politics is interested in them.'

Here's a great piece that I ran across recently about Americans' level of interest in politics:
Archived-Articles: Who's Your Daddy? The Psychology of Most People's Voting

Quote:
Originally Posted by american thinker
Only about half of Americans can name the Vice President. When asked a direct question only 37% of people know who their state governor is. That number increases to 65% when the correct name is given in a multiple choice question. Even fewer can name their U.S senator or congressman. When it comes to State Representatives the figure falls to about 20%. And name recognition is the American public's strong suit. Even if they could name their representative, when asked to identify two issues the politician stands for, the percentage drops to only 15%.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:54 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,912,262 times
Good read......and that's another thing that is lost on many. The problem is that the bipartisan model has become so efficient that people will go to the polls and just vote democrat or republican straight down the ticket.

So they pump up whoever they choose and it will reflect at the booth. They have total control over the electoral college.

And then you have blue dogs and progressives which just muck things up even more.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:09 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:

This question has been asked before in this forum. The answer is "no."

I happen to enjoy strategy (I see it right away in issue decisions) and I'm a numbers junkie so I do look at the polls but I also look at the methodology and dismiss many of them. I also look at the influence of the media especially in what they elect not to tell you in addition to what they glom onto.

I wish I could get people to pay the most attention to relevant experience when they vote over campaign promises and a slick delivery. If it was up to me the two candidates in 2008 would have never been two Senators with no executive experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies