Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 05:08 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,902,028 times

Advertisements

Remember, raising taxes is good for the economy and it creates jobs. Or....is it just raising them on the rich that's good for the economy and creates jobs?

Remember, the Bush tax cuts were a disaster, likewise, I expect liberals to admit that the payroll tax cuts were a disaster, praise the Republicans and allow them to rise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 05:13 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,624,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Remember, raising taxes is good for the economy and it creates jobs. Or....is it just raising them on the rich that's good for the economy and creates jobs?
Well, we need to raise capital gains taxes and eliminate the vast majority of tax deductions.

The purpose of that is to reduce distortion in the tax code. The government shouldn't be picking winners like that.

When you distort the tax code, people start making bad investments that they wouldn't have otherwise made.

Quote:
Remember, the Bush tax cuts were a disaster, likewise, I expect liberals to admit that the payroll tax cuts were a disaster, praise the Republicans and allow them to rise.
I don't specifically blame the "Bush tax cuts" for our screwed up system -- It took decades of Neoconservative, supply side thinking to get into the mess we are today.

But the payroll tax cut goes toward earned income and wages, which is overtaxed. The Bush tax cuts went toward many things, but mainly investment income, which is undertaxed.

So that Republican perspective is coming from a backwards philosophy, that says rich people are "job creators" and everyone else is not.

Last edited by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus; 12-21-2011 at 05:22 AM..

Old 12-21-2011, 05:17 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
Well, we need to raise capital gains taxes and eliminate tax deductions.

The purpose of that is to reduce distortion in the tax code. The government shouldn't be picking winners like that.

I don't specifically blame the "Bush tax cuts" for our screwed up system --

It took decades of Neoconservative, supply side thinking to get into the mess we are today.

what we really need to do, is to fire 100's of thousands of federal employees, including all of the IRS, DEA, BATFE, EPA, HoSec., DOE, DOEn and many others, and cut the tax from so many ailing americans to zero.

if you want to tax anyone, start taxing the goods coming from other countries including china and others.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:18 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Well, we need to raise capital gains taxes and eliminate tax deductions.
The richest peoeple in the world lived lived during periods where we had 90% capital gains taxes.. Why do you think that is?
Quote:
It took decades of Neoconservative, supply side thinking to get into the mess we are today.
the GOP took over Congress for the first time in decades in the late 1990's Care to explain the GOP programs which helped cause the collapse of the housing market? I'll be sure to wait while you compile a list

Old 12-21-2011, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Care to explain the GOP programs which helped cause the collapse of the housing market? I'll be sure to wait while you compile a list
2004 SEC Net Capital rule was a major factor.

We're over here talking about taxes, though, if you want to join us.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:28 AM

Quote:

want to talk about taxes? sure no problem, lets talk about how to get rid of them all including the 16th Amendment.

still not sure how a tax can be a right, when taxes have always been penalties.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
if you want to tax anyone, start taxing the goods coming from other countries including china and others.
i don't like tariffs because i don't want to be held captive by american corporations.

free trade is really a basic liberty as far as i am concerned. foreign competition gives me choices.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
want to talk about taxes? sure no problem, lets talk about how to get rid of them all
ok. i can tell you how to do that. eliminate taxes and run the entire government on a deficit. Not an "infinite deficit", which is what people usually respond with -- not "printing to the moon" -- just printing the government's obligations. i'm not saying it will work, just saying, that's the only way i can think of to eliminate taxes.

that is, unless you want to eliminate Medicare, SS, and a good chunk of the military.

Quote:
i don't like tariffs because i don't want to be held captive by american corporations.

free trade is really a basic liberty as far as i am concerned. foreign competition gives me choices.
I look at it this way about tariffs. if the company does not want to be taxed, then they put a factory or something else on american soil and hire americans to work it.

no tax needed for goods produced in the USA.

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
No it wasnt, and you blamed DECADES of GOP policies. 2004 - now isnt even ONE decade. You cant just sit here and babble nonsense and expect people to not call you out on it
Quote:
Then why did you blame the GOP for the economic collapse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies