Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 07:06 AM

157 posts, read 564,548 times

Advertisements

I was curious about all the confederate flags I see flying in the south. What is the general consensus on them? I also see quite a few flying in northern states too.
Don't mean to offend anyone, just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 07:31 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey View Post
I was curious about all the confederate flags I see flying in the south. What is the general consensus on them? I also see quite a few flying in northern states too.
Don't mean to offend anyone, just curious.
Depends on who's flying them and where. Sometimes it's purely historic, sometimes it's just a way of saying "I'm proud of being southern and of my own heritage", and sometimes it's mean as a racial (racist) statement.

Of course, most blacks hate seeing it for whatever reasons it's being flown.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:37 AM

3 posts, read 12,742 times
I think most of it is just a true Southeners way of remembering their heritage, as so many other races and heritages do here in the US. The South was once a proud breed of people. And contrary to what most believe, the civil war did not start over slavery.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:49 AM

64 posts, read 303,962 times
I am from Tenn but live in SC now. I had the flag flying one weekend when my daughter who lives in Nashville came down for a visit. It made her so upset I had to take it down. I couldn't understand her reaction because to me, it just meant I am proud to be a Southerner. I never considered it to be a black or white thing. My neighbors are from Vermont and they didn't care. In fact I never thought about it offending anyone. Since that day I put it away in case it does bother someone. Any how to me it is just a flag saying I am from the South. I am totally against slavery or anyone mistreating anyone or animals. I cant speak for anyone else but I dont fly the flag any more just in case it does offend someone.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:07 AM

1,323 posts, read 4,701,217 times
Default Proud to fly the American Flag

There are many places in the United States where you would be shunned and severely criticized if you flew a confederate flag. California, where I currently live (unfortunately ), is one of those places. I totally understand that most people who fly the confederate flag are just showing that they are proud to be from the south and of their heritage. I am also from the south (Cajun Country) and I am proud of my heritage as well, but I also understand how most African-Americans could be offended by the confederate flag. In our country, everyone has the right to fly any flag that they want to fly and I respect that right. As for me, I proudly fly the American Flag every day.

Last edited by jguillot; 05-04-2007 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: Found a typographical error

Old 05-04-2007, 09:54 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
I agree that it is our right to fly any flag we want to, but is anyone going to put out a flag with a swastika on it? There really are some limits on decency here. I'm proud of my Southern heritage while still acknowledging that some of the things practiced here were horrible.

I just think we can find ways to celebrate our heritage better than flying a symbol that was used as the symbol of a nation (CSA) who supported the systematic devastation of a race of people.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:26 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I just think we can find ways to celebrate our heritage better than flying a symbol that was used as the symbol of a nation (CSA) who supported the systematic devastation of a race of people.
The American flag was also used as the symbol of a nation (the USA) who supported the systematic devastation of a race of people. So was the British flag. And the French flag. And the Spanish flag. And the Tennessee flag. And the Virginia flag. And the Texas flag. And the Florida flag. And the Louisiana flag...

As for someone flying the swastika, well, that's their right. I wouldn't like it, but I would never dream of forcing someone to take it down. On a side note: the Nazis did not invent the swastika, and in fact the swastika is still quite common throughout the Far East in Buddhist and Hindu temples. It's been around for a few thousand years.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:16 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,655,964 times
Default Swastika

Funny you guys bring up the swastika. On another forum there was a young man with a swastika tattoo on a very visible part of his body. He defended it as an ancient symbol meaning "well-being" and was very sincere about it. Of course that symbol was NOT originally Hitler's but it is MORE associated w/that evil man than anything alse. For me the confederate flag is the same kind of symbol. And just like the swastika, the confederate flag causes an immediate knee-jerk reaction. And not a positive on, in my book any way. I was born and raised in the south and I can say I will never have a confederate flag flying in my yard just for those reasons. I have black neighbors and friends and their place in my heart and life mean more to me than a flag.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:37 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Volkswagen was also an invention of Hitler's. Mitsubishi made planes that bombed Pearl Harbor. I know of quite a few WW2 veterans who are quite offended by the site of a VW Bug or anything made by Mitsubishi.

The point is, if we're going to start limiting what we can wear, what we can drive, what we can display, what we can say, just because we're scared to death of offending people, it won't be long before the Thought Police will have won. George Orwell's 1984 should be required reading in every American high school.

I think it's fine if someone wants to impose restrictions on him/herself for fear of offending neighbors, and in fact I think that's a sign of a good neighbor. But it's entirely different when the state dares to legislate what we can or cannot wear, say, or THINK. And even though I will never have a Confederate flag, either, I am not about to tell someone else that they can't have one or be proud of it.

Last edited by JMT; 12-16-2011 at 07:15 AM..

Old 05-04-2007, 12:04 PM

3 posts, read 12,742 times
Not all Southerners were for slavery, and the war did not originate over it. Six months prior to the war, Abraham Lincoln endorsed slavery, and only later made that an issue because they were losing the battle. To all of you that are offended by the Confederate flag, you need to do a little research yourself and stop believing the B.S that has been taught by the racist educational system. And if my flag offends you, then tell everyone wearing the Turbins, African garments, or displaying any other item representative of their ancestry that they are in the wron and offensive also. All of us Americans are sitting back being forced to honor other countries heritage, and you're offended by a Confederate flag. Give..me..a..break!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies