Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2012, 09:27 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Noise...

Your entire position is based on noise.
Yes, noise. And your objection to that is what? If there was no noise and a warming trend, each year would be warmer than the next. That seems hard to imagine in the real world.

Quote:
You keep saying you are not talking about "predicting into the future", yet your entire evaluation is that of concluding that the trend will keep increasing.
I didn't say anywhere the trend will continue increasing. At least not in the post in the last few days. If I did another time, it wasn't based on just previous years alone. Nowhere am I saying that the last 35 years showed an increased, so the next 35 should show the same increase. Could we keep the discussion on the past years instead of shifting it to prediction to the future, which I've said nothing about.

Quote:
So yes, you are predicting such as your entire argument is about picking out past "noise" occurrences (extremely short spans to which you can not scientifically validate to your mention) and attempting to suggest it is a pattern, more specifically one of consistent occurrence to which suggests this flat line is re-occurring and simply a continuation of warming. You have absolutely NO proper support to make such a declaration. Your method is hokum through correlative evaluation.
I'm not picking out past noise occurrences, you are picking specific years unscientifically and then claiming that the data shows a stall. There isn't one such thing as a noise occurrence; every year is from a noise pattern and the ones with high deviations are just as normal as the ones with low deviations. I'm averaging to filter out all noise, both below and above average I gave two examples of data that shows an increase yet shows a "stall" if you draw lines from a high point.

Look at the wood for trees link I posted. You have said you believe from the mid 70s to the late 90s there was warming. Yet even during that increase after every short term peak one can draw a line find a phony "decline" afterwards. What about the data I posted?

Even if we have stalled, using the 1998 data point as a starting point is a poor way to show it. If you based your claim off something, I'd be less likely to argue with you. My examples might not give proper support to there is a warming trend; they do give proper support that a real warming trend will exhibit the spike then a long period that doesn't pass the spike.

I have shown two ways that a warming trend with noise (such what I believe is happening today) will show stretches where the previous warmest year will not be reached is not reached for a period of years.

You still have not given a reason why a warming trend must beat out the previous warmest year in a few years when showed two counterexamples of warming trends that don't. You are not using a good method of evaluation to see if there is a warming trend. Please try something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 09:32 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
Global Warming Deniers - Are they STUPID?
YES! YES THEY ARE!

The stupid part includes my point which is we shouldn't be sheeting on the place we eat, sleep and breath. Regardless of being afraid of the end, it is just the healthiest option no matter what.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:04 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
That report does not contest my claim.

As I said, since 2000, no increased warming in the trend.
Looks more like 2004 than 2000. 2000 is quite a bit lower than the last 5 years or so, which do look constant.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:09 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Yes, noise. And your objection to that is what? If there was no noise and a warming trend, each year would be warmer than the next. That seems hard to imagine in the real world.

I didn't say anywhere the trend will continue increasing. At least not in the post in the last few days. If I did another time, it wasn't based on just previous years alone. Nowhere am I saying that the last 35 years showed an increased, so the next 35 should show the same increase. Could we keep the discussion on the past years instead of shifting it to prediction to the future, which I've said nothing about.

I'm not picking out past noise occurrences, you are picking specific years unscientifically and then claiming that the data shows a stall. There isn't one such thing as a noise occurrence; every year is from a noise pattern and the ones with high deviations are just as normal as the ones with low deviations. I'm averaging to filter out all noise, both below and above average I gave two examples of data that shows an increase yet shows a "stall" if you draw lines from a high point.

Look at the wood for trees link I posted. You have said you believe from the mid 70s to the late 90s there was warming. Yet even during that increase after every short term peak one can draw a line find a phony "decline" afterwards. What about the data I posted?

Even if we have stalled, using the 1998 data point as a starting point is a poor way to show it. If you based your claim off something, I'd be less likely to argue with you. My examples might not give proper support to there is a warming trend; they do give proper support that a real warming trend will exhibit the spike then a long period that doesn't pass the spike.

I have shown two ways that a warming trend with noise (such what I believe is happening today) will show stretches where the previous warmest year will not be reached is not reached for a period of years.

You still have not given a reason why a warming trend must beat out the previous warmest year in a few years when showed two counterexamples of warming trends that don't. You are not using a good method of evaluation to see if there is a warming trend. Please try something else.
Sorry Nei, I am not going to waste my time with your bias. See you in 10 more years when you eat your words, though as we all know, then it will be some other claim as to why your claims aren't occurring in reality.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:14 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
It's to late for humans to do much of anything about GW now. It's because it became a political football that no research that would have made any difference was done.
Exactly, do you think the developing world is going to slow down development when they still have problems with child malnutrition? Do you think we gonna give up our air conditioning and automobiles? There is no political solution. Build dikes if ya live near the shore.

There are times when it makes political sense to lie. I see the ultimate result of what Western politicians want to do to combat global warming; shipping more jobs overseas and further decimating our economy all for nothing. So I say man-made global warming is BS, when the truth is nobody knows for certain.

There is a solution that does not require international cooperation; we nuke North Korea and Iran (and possibly France) and let nuclear winter offset global warming. Of course the liberal pansies don't like that idea.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:22 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Quote:
That report does not contest my claim.

As I said, since 2000, no increased warming in the trend.
Really? Now if you would have arbitrarily picked 2003 then yes there would have been a "stall" but perhaps you need to put you glasses on.

However, you response begs the question, why did you pick 2000? Both Nei and I are wondering why you did that?

Nei
Quote:
I'm not picking out past noise occurrences, you are picking specific years unscientifically and then claiming that the data shows a stall.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:23 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Global Warming Deniers - Are they STUPID?
YES! YES THEY ARE!

The stupid part includes my point which is we shouldn't be sheeting on the place we eat, sleep and breath. Regardless of being afraid of the end, it is just the healthiest option no matter what.

Hard to be healthy when ya starving.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:24 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Looks more like 2004 than 2000. 2000 is quite a bit lower than the last 5 years or so, which do look constant.
Man, I was too slow in my response! Lol

Old 01-13-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Sorry Nei, I am not going to waste my time with your bias. See you in 10 more years when you eat your words, though as we all know, then it will be some other claim as to why your claims aren't occurring in reality.
Why should what happens in 10 years matter? We're talking about the past data not the future. I'm arguing against your methodology. If the temperatures stop increasing in the next 10 years, that doesn't make your technique correct. t think your technique for deciding whether is a plateau in the last decade is incorrect. I gave several reasons; there might be a plateau, but you have not shown it. It seems you like you think you disregard that natural systems are noisy. You have not acknowledged or have any response to the graphs I've shown, instead you're avoiding.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:12 AM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times
If liberals, government didn't have the ability of taxing, confiscating money from people in the name of 'fixing' the hoax known as 'global warming', would it even be a topic of conversation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies