Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 02:22 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,252,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Seems in my history, we had heavy sanctions on Japan because we didn't like what they were doing. They attacked Pearl Harbor.

Tell me???
Why did we hit the shores of Normandy, to fight someone that only threatened us and never attacked us, over someone that did attack us.

Germany did attack us. They attacked our Merchant ships and 6000 Merchant Seamen died before the war was declared.

My dad was there before the War and then later was on the 2nd Murmansk Run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 04:51 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,878,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinLegs View Post
Yea your right the ME262 was 100% fully devolved 3 years before D-Day, the reason their where so few is because Hitler did not think that they where good.
the reason ME262 production was low is not because hitler thought theywere a bad plane, it was because hitler wanted them built as a fast bomber, not as a fighter. he wanted a fast mover to attack the british isles and leave before the fighters could show up and knock the german planes from the sky. he should have let arado properly develop the 234 as a bomber, instead of a fast recon plane.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:47 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,795,581 times
You don't know why? Um, time for a refresher course in basic history.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:41 AM

30,082 posts, read 18,694,395 times
Quote:
Seems in my history, we had heavy sanctions on Japan because we didn't like what they were doing. They attacked Pearl Harbor.

Tell me???
Why did we hit the shores of Normandy, to fight someone that only threatened us and never attacked us, over someone that did attack us.

Wow-

I guess history revealed that we were correct, in that the Japanese plans for invasion of The Phillipines and other US protectorates was in place far before Pearl Harbor. Sanctions only accelerated the action, as the Japanese needed to find other sources of oil- fast. Given the failures of the Japanese in Mongolia against Russian forces in the late 1930s, the military in Japan favored an expansion to the Pacific, rather than initiating land action against the Russians.

We attacked "germany first" (as agreed by Churchill, Stalin and Roosevelt) as it was agreed (correctly) that Germany posed the greatest risk to subjugation of the allies and development of advanced weapons systems.

The political calls in WW2 had nothing to do with "racism" (are libs really that dense?) and everything to do with winning the war.

Let's say we DID NOT enter WW2 and DID NOT supply the Russians with massive amounts of food and material. The Russians (without US help) would have been defeated and the Germans would have held ENORMOUS resources to employ against the remaining allies. The myth that the Russians were simply a "sleeping giant" that could have defeated the Germans without US aid is simply a myth. It is true that the Russians sacrificed 20 million people (fewer than Stalin killed himself), yet lacked soley the materials and resources to defeat the Germans.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:48 AM

30,082 posts, read 18,694,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinLegs View Post
The ME 262 was developed 3 YEARS, 3 Years before D-Day the reason their where so few is because Hitler did not think they where good.

Not true. Hitler saw jet aircraft as a means to expand offensive bombing missions, rather than for fighter/air defense. It was only through the lobbying of Rudel and Galland that Hitler (and Goering) finally (too late in the war) allowed the priniciple use of jet aircraft for attacking bomber formations that the marked advantage of jet aircraft was revealed. Galland was the chief proponant of jet aircraft, yet recieved "sympathetic" support from Rudel, a Stuka pilot, to advance the use of jet aircraft in fighter formations.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:43 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,400,905 times
Why is this zombie topic here in Politics and other controversies?
It should have always been in the History forum.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:46 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,294,903 times
Quote:

Tell me???
Defeat the weak first. Then go after the strong.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:00 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,244,182 times
Quote:

Tell me???
Because after Pearl Harbor was attacked, Hitler declared war on the US.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:03 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,918,474 times
We had those sanctions because of the Japanese war crimes in their invasion of china. Well justified as even the Japanese now recognize.Why would we contribute resources to them when doing that? Search the Rape of Nang King which the Chinese will never forget to this day.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:07 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,244,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I might add to the very informative posts that others have put before you that U.S. forces were in a state of continuous battle with the forces of Imperial Japan beginning on 8 December 1941, three years before the Normandy invasion.
And the war in the Pacific was primarily a Naval war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies