Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 06:25 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitySide View Post
You should be thanking "Liberals" for wanting to help eradicate child obesity in this country which is through the roof. But hey it's your children, let them grow up to be fat, get a disease that their insurance policy won't cover and die. The party of "individual liberty/responsibility" should not complain when their children die from a preventable disease.
So in your mind every child who eats a burger for lunch at school instead of some tofu chicken will grow up fat and get a disease?? LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 06:28 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
There's not a word in that story about Michelle Obama. To blame this on her is, well - loony.

L.A. schools' healthful school lunches panned by LAUSD students - latimes.com

This must be past your pay grade. Maybe keep up on what's being forced upon us and get back.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:37 PM

158 posts, read 256,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
So in your mind every child who eats a burger for lunch at school instead of some tofu chicken will grow up fat and get a disease?? LOL.
I understand you don't have a problem with feeding your children at a fast food establishment, after all this the preferred dining of choice for most Americans. Poor eating habits start at home at an early age. Please save the theatrics for you crazy conservative friends. It doesn't work on us sensible people. Of course eating one burger won't kill you but statistics are quite clear. American children are eating one too many burgers...thank God I had a mother who cooked health three course meals in the midst of the tv dinner phenomenon. I see more people in the frozen food section than whole foods.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:14 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
The nerve of Michelle Obama wanting our kids to eat healthy, just like the previous first lady wanting our kids to read.

I for one am all for it as so many kids are way overweight.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:12 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Only these loons in office could screw stuff up so bad. Not to mention most of the food bought and tossed away is probably from folks on free lunch programs so that is just our tax dollars being dumped into the pooper yet again. The rest scour the halls looking for some thugs in the corner selling bags of frito's out of the camera's eye.

"Among other complaints, Vanderbok said salads dated Oct. 7 were served Oct. 17. (Binkle said the dates indicate when the food is at its highest quality, not when it goes bad. They have been removed to avoid misinterpretation.) On campus, even adults — including a Junior ROTC officer and an art teacher — have been found selling black market candy, chips and instant noodles to hungry students, she said.

"I compare it to Prohibition," Vanderbok said."

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-food-lausd-20111218,0,2593733.storyhttp://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-food-lausd-20111218,0,2593733.story (broken link)

Surely, you don't REALLY think this all started with Michelle Obama, do you?

I'd suggest you study the history of the school lunch program, which is administered by the Agriculture Department, before assigning blame.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:33 AM

250 posts, read 413,119 times
Pretty sad that Michelle Obama seems to get more done than her Husband... maybe she should have ran instead.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:15 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Default School lunch nannyism creates new black market: junk food and candy.

When are liberals ever going to get a clue about the law of unintended consequences?

L.A. schools' healthful school lunches panned by LAUSD students - Los Angeles Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Times
students stream into the cafeteria to check out the day's fare: black bean burgers, tostada salad, fresh pears and other items on a new healthful menu introduced this year by the Los Angeles Unified School District.
But Iraides Renteria and Mayra Gutierrez don't even bother to line up. Iraides said the school food previously made her throw up, and Mayra calls it "nasty, rotty stuff." So what do they eat? The juniors pull three bags of Flamin' Hot Cheetos and soda from their backpacks.

"This is our daily lunch," Iraides says. "We're eating more junk food now than last year."
I'd like to blame Michelle Obama but the fact is this has been going on for some time now. Here's an article from 2006 from the Seattle Times about a high school student called 'the Candy Man' who violated school rules by selling candy after the school removed all candy from vending machines. He got busted once but was cut slack because the principal had a craving for Almond Joys.
Local News | Crafty "Candyman" a sweet sight at school where treats are banned | Seattle Times Newspaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle Times
The Candyman saw an opportunity.
"Just like prohibition in the '20s, when demand is high and supply is cut off, there are going to emerge black, parallel markets," he said. "High-schoolers need candy, especially in the morning."
At least these kids are learning black-market sales skills. They're going to need that if we have another 4 years of Obamanomics.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:16 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
You lost me by your third word.

Besides, this was already a thread.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:22 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
When are liberals ever going to get a clue about the law of unintended consequences?
Never. The lessons we learned from Prohibition is ancient history to people. Worse still, most people probably don't know what Prohibition was and why it would be relevant to today.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:39 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times
This is nothing new. this was going on in the 80's when I was in grade school...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies