Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 02:26 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,218,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
It doesn't matter what the other parents say.
In the US, unlike Iran, there is a separation of church and state.
It's her choice to drop it or not; not your choice, unless you brought the suit.
Where is that in the Constitution, the law of the Land?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 02:26 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
Perhaps this will help those crying out for legal teams to intervene.

"If another group wishes to do the same, I plan on handling that the same way I have handled this."

Bibles made available at Asheville-area school | The Asheville Citizen-Times | citizen-times.com

Old 12-20-2011, 02:27 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
What do you have against the Bible being handed out in schools? No one is forcing anyone to become a Christian, as you can't force anyone to become a child of God. They have to be led by God.
Religion doesn't belong in the schools because it's a personal belief system. Handing out bibles at school is an unnecessary function of school. I think the better question is why would you hand out bibles in school? If you have no logical answer then it shouldn't be done. Arguing after the fact that people will get over it or that it isn't really hurting anyone is just mental gymnastics people do when they want to justify something they know is questionable, but do anyway.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I'd call the media and the ACLU too if my kid's public school was providing and coercing my son (or any kid) into taking Bibles or other kinds of religious materials.
So the Bible, which speaks of redemption and salvation, is bad, in your opinion? Why, because you don't like Christians, and are anti-Christian in your philosophy?

You hate Christians.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:28 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Meh. I don't see this as a violation, since the kids had the option to pick it up, etc. Though it would be interesting to see how the Christian parents would react to non-Christian literature being made available in the same way.
Maybe the concern is that the children who did not want to pick up a bible would get bullied by the other students who did.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:29 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Meh. I don't see this as a violation, since the kids had the option to pick it up, etc. Though it would be interesting to see how the Christian parents would react to non-Christian literature being made available in the same way.
Hate mail, death and bomb threats.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:31 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
The Gideons do it here in my town too. It isn't done on school property and they certainly do not force it on anyone. They just offer it. Maybe the child really wanted to read it and that is why he took it. People would be having a fit if the child wanted to read Darwin and the mother prevented it.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:32 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,138,284 times
The poor kid that picked it up is probably searching for something more than his mother can provide.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:32 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
Quote:
It doesn't matter what the other parents say.
In the US, unlike Iran, there is a separation of church and state.
It's her choice to drop it or not; not your choice, unless you brought the suit.
Yes, it does matter what other parents say. They too pay taxes to educate their children. If 99.9% of those other parents say it's okay to put out the literature for their children to take, then I say to this woman.. too bad. Now, these parents best be careful what they wish for, and be prepared to handle it.. and they also best not become habitual whiners either.. but.. it does matter.

If this school district talks to the other parents and wants to keep the status quo, then mom has two options. Either shut up and deal with it or change schools. If you don't like the TV show being shown... don't watch it, change the channel. Don't try to dictate to the rest of us how we should feel, what we should watch, and how we should or shouldn't worship. (I'm not really religious, but I am sooo tired of people telling me what I should or shouldn't do.) If you don't like to see my Christmas tree.. don't look at it.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Unless the religious texts from all other religions were made available for a kid to "pick up" - it's a violation.
It's a violation of your left wing fruit loop views put into your head by other left wingers with fruit loop views who wanted a way to accost the religious nature of our country and to display their hatred for Christianity. Lies, all lies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies