Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2012, 08:06 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Physical AND mental after 72 hours clean.

I have smoked for years and have now tried (hard) in the last two years to quit.

I consider myself extremely strong willed and I have a pain tolerance out of this world,BUT,smoking has just about kicked my ass as far as being able to quit is concerned.

I had an epiphany one day while talking about meth heads and how all they had to do was quit doing it and blah blah blah and as I was mouthing about them I looked down at the cig burning in my hand and thought"you low life hypocrit"

I decided right then and there I was finished smoking...threw a new pack of cigs out the window along with a good lighter...4 hours later I was back in town buying cigs and ANOTHER lighter

I made it 2 weeks the next time,8 weeks the next and then 10 weeks this year...I was JUST getting to where I could smell the pine trees and fresh cut hay again when I let some issues at my shop give me an excuse to start again like an idiot.

I'm "getting my mind right" for another try as I type this,but it is not easy...going to go and try hypnosis this time and see if that will help.
Keep trying, my friend. It's worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 11:32 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
I made it 2 weeks the next time,8 weeks the next and then 10 weeks this year...I was JUST getting to where I could smell the pine trees and fresh cut hay again when I let some issues at my shop give me an excuse to start again like an idiot.
I've made it a year, then stupidly started again. Staying quit is soooo much harder than quitting (and quitting is hard enough).

Quote:
I'm "getting my mind right" for another try as I type this,but it is not easy...going to go and try hypnosis this time and see if that will help.
Me too. I am doing hypnosis as well.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:45 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I've made it a year, then stupidly started again. Staying quit is soooo much harder than quitting (and quitting is hard enough).

Me too. I am doing hypnosis as well.
Well,I would have said "My gosh,if you can quit a year you can make it" before,but I now know better.

I stopped again at daylight this morning and going to call about the hypnosis thing Tuesday....I have an uncle who quit after 40 years with hypnosis....he is kinda like me and jokes around non stop,said he didn't even want to quit but they offered a money back deal...he went just to see what it was like and that's been about 4 years ago...he hasn't smoked since.

Let's keep in touch on this.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:55 PM

32,075 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Physical AND mental after 72 hours clean.

I have smoked for years and have now tried (hard) in the last two years to quit.

I consider myself extremely strong willed and I have a pain tolerance out of this world,BUT,smoking has just about kicked my ass as far as being able to quit is concerned.

I had an epiphany one day while talking about meth heads and how all they had to do was quit doing it and blah blah blah and as I was mouthing about them I looked down at the cig burning in my hand and thought"you low life hypocrit"

I decided right then and there I was finished smoking...threw a new pack of cigs out the window along with a good lighter...4 hours later I was back in town buying cigs and ANOTHER lighter

Do you have a support group. I quit 6 years ago with the help of an online smoking cessation forum. I don't think I could have done it without their help and support. I was so tired of being a slave to it. It is hard to quit but you just have to say no whenever you want one. Not having a cigarette is not going to kill you so just don't give in and find something to distract yourself. It really is a mental thing. You have to retrain your mind as you know. You can do it

Old 01-16-2012, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 692 times
Personal freedoms are certainly important, but shouldn't they be balanced against public good/safety? Recent research has shown that cigarette butts are highly toxic. So toxic, they meet the scientific definition of toxic waste. Big Tobacco spends a lot of money trying to convince people that cig butts are litter, but if you make a toxic product, with no way to safely dispose of it, then it's your responsibility. There's a lot more info at [url=http://www.toxicbutts.com]Home | Toxic Butts[/url]

It doesn't seem to be a liberal vs. conservative issue. It seems more like a cut and dry, know the facts and act accordingly one.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:56 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Do you have a support group. I quit 6 years ago with the help of an online smoking cessation forum. I don't think I could have done it without their help and support. I was so tired of being a slave to it. It is hard to quit but you just have to say no whenever you want one. Not having a cigarette is not going to kill you so just don't give in and find something to distract yourself. It really is a mental thing. You have to retrain your mind as you know. You can do it
Thanks

The last time I quit I stayed busy in a major way...That was the only way I could get past the first couple of weeks...I also stayed working in the back of my shop away from everyone else and stayed out of the office area where customers were likely to be.... I was a moody rascal the first week

I couldn't really ask the others to quit smoking in the shop either(wouldn't have been fair) and my marine mechanic even blew smoke at me half the time when he walked past me thinking it was a joke to do it....he has now had heart surgery this past fall and they found a tumor on his lung this last week when he went in for the second battle with pneumonia in the last 6 weeks...he is now calling/texting me daily and telling me to quit smoking or die.

He didn't just work for me,we are good friends and we also were tournament fishing partners plus we tried to fish at least 3-4 nights per week during the summer to fill our freezers...I kinda like the old S.O.B. and him going through this is really scaring me and making me want to quit even that much more.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:39 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
It does have something to do with "Liberals". In Michigan, where I live, the majority of votes in favor of the smoking ban came from Democrats. The majority of votes opposing the smoking ban came from Republicans.

Yes it does. From the legislation in MI: "An act to protect and promote the public health; to codify, revise, consolidate, classify, and add to the laws relating to public health; to provide for the prevention and control of diseases and disabilities."

Because they choose to. Like before the intrusion by the state.

Well, I would have came along. But, now they've lost my business.

Hmmm, smokers who won't go anywhere near a smoking hotel room because they can't stand the smell of smoke? You're doing just fine EDnurse, keep it up.

I read the legislation. Enrolled House Bill #4377. You can read it yourself. The law does not state anywhere that it's purpose is to eliminate bad smells, reeking or stench.

Have you ever used a no flush toilet at a state sponsored roadside park? It's basically an outhouse ( with a hole in the ground ).

They are public rest rooms.

Should the state ban all crapping in them, because it makes them stink?
Are you comparing a restroom to a hotel room?

Well, I am unfamiliar with the state of your bowel, but most people do not have to spend 8 hours in a restroom to have a bowel movement.

Sleeping for 8 hours in a hotel room that reeks of cigarette smoke is an entirely different matter.

I know (and work) with quite a few smokers who will not smoke inside their homes. Period. They'll smoke outdoors where the smell isn't concentrated.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:48 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Things that smoke:

Ban bee keepers, they're killing us!

Ban BBQ's they're killing us!

They're dangerous if you blow them out, so don't light them in the first place!
Ban candles (use led's), they're killing our children!

Look at all that smoke!!! OMG!!! Does anyone care about 4th of July anymore?

Anything that smokes should be banned!!! Ban it all, make laws, arrest anyone that does anything to screw with my air!!!

no more pies! Jerry "Moonbeam" Brown banned bakeries in California that didn't have $10k oven filters because the smell of baking bread was polluting the air!!!

Seriously, though... my home is smoke-free and any smoking is done on the porch outside. My nanny state (CA) wants to make this act illegal, forcing smokers back inside so that anyone who enters will have to breathe their garbage air. It's bureaucracy fixing things by breaking them.

Last edited by steven_h; 01-17-2012 at 04:06 PM..

Old 01-17-2012, 04:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
things that smoke:

Ban bee keepers, they're killing us!

Ban bbq's they're killing us!

They're dangerous if you blow them out, so don't light them in the first place!
Ban candles (use led's), they're killing our children!

Look at all that smoke!!! Omg!!! Does anyone care about 4th of july anymore?

Anything that smokes should be banned!!! Ban it all, make laws, arrest anyone that does anything to screw with my air!!!

No more pies! Jerry "moonbeam" brown banned bakeries in california that didn't have $10k oven filters because the smell of baking bread was polluting the air!!!

Seriously, though... My home is smoke-free and any smoking is done on the porch outside. My nanny state (ca) wants to make this act illegal, forcing smokers back inside so that anyone who enters will have to breathe their garbage air. It's bureaucracy fixing things by breaking them.
Deflection!

Old 01-17-2012, 08:31 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Deflection!
Famous last word to a post that made sense. I suppose if I mindlessly agreed with you I'd get a hug and a cookie... baked in a $20K filtered oven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies