Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 11:40 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,868,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I wonder how often these people collect a paycheck. You know like weekly, bi-weekly or monthly. One says his cable bill is $49 so maybe he gets paid weekly. Here are some of the thousands of stories that have come in to the White House at Obama's request. I wonder what happens after the first 60 days of next year if this law isn't passed again for another 60 days. And then 60 days at a time till at least November.

'Waa, No Pizza Night': Sad Stories Roll In at Request of Obama White House | CNSnews.com
If the guys "CABLE" bill is 49 a month, then he cuts out cable service. Cable is not a necessity. OR in this "F'd" up Obama administration has cable become a "right".....like the lady that wants Obama to pay for her car and her gas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 11:58 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,455,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I guess you'll need to sell your PC and internet connection next thankfully.
Thankfully I have roommates who split the costs of internet with me. Thankfully my job requires me to have computer access at home.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:00 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
They will end up ripping off the hard working people, confiscate much more of their incomes and will likely keep paying the lazy types to lay around another year.

It's getting so it's better to just never work.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:09 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,818,404 times
Quote:
I am low to middle class so I don't see the reason for all the Obama class war talk. Do you consider people who are so poor that they can't afford $49 per month cable bills without my Social Security money as middle class? If so no wonder Obama has you snowed.
You live of that "government handout" that the GOP wants to destroy. Would you have no income without it? I don't see why you would have such stanch support for a party that essentially hates you.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:22 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,734,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
What ever happened to old Baghdad Bob? He was hilarious.
He got a sex change and came back as Debbie Blabbermouth Shultz the mouthpiece of the DNC.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:40 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
Quote:
I wonder how often these people collect a paycheck. You know like weekly, bi-weekly or monthly. One says his cable bill is $49 so maybe he gets paid weekly. Here are some of the thousands of stories that have come in to the White House at Obama's request. I wonder what happens after the first 60 days of next year if this law isn't passed again for another 60 days. And then 60 days at a time till at least November.

'Waa, No Pizza Night': Sad Stories Roll In at Request of Obama White House | CNSnews.com

Lets see...we're talking about a 2% difference in tax collection with the bill. I keep hearing $20 a week tossed about. For someone to see an extra $20 a week, that means their gross pay is $1000 per week, or $25 per hour assuming a 40 hour work week. Is $20 a week really that much of a difference to someone making $52k per year? In practice the difference is even less...that $20 a week that went to SS and Medicare is now subject to federal and state income tax, at lets say a combined marginal tax rate of 40%. Which means this magical extra $20 is really only $12. Heck, that's barely a 12 pack of cheap beer...

Old 12-22-2011, 01:18 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Lets see...we're talking about a 2% difference in tax collection with the bill. I keep hearing $20 a week tossed about. For someone to see an extra $20 a week, that means their gross pay is $1000 per week, or $25 per hour assuming a 40 hour work week. Is $20 a week really that much of a difference to someone making $52k per year? In practice the difference is even less...that $20 a week that went to SS and Medicare is now subject to federal and state income tax, at lets say a combined marginal tax rate of 40%. Which means this magical extra $20 is really only $12. Heck, that's barely a 12 pack of cheap beer...
$20 is a lot a week for a working person trying to support a family on $52K.

Don't forget that property taxes in some areas are soaring as well as food costs.

$20 a week here, $20 a week there, another $20 a week and pretty soon you're talking some real money.

Remember the working people are the only ones holding up this country, it's best not to destroy them.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:36 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times
Quote:

They need to save it for their retirement, since it's coming out of SS.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:38 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times
Quote:
Chief, there are many here who want to stop SS and Medicare for all those of us over 70 or so and many of them are far enough from that that they won't care when that age is lowered to 60 or even 55. Stupidity runs rampant at a time like this.
What a bunch of bull. Show me ONE person that wants to stop it for those over 70. Bet you can't find one.

Stupidity is believing that if we do nothing about SS and Medicare, it will still be there when folks reach 60.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:08 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
I don't consider myself poor and I don't have any of those things. I would imagine if I were poor I'd have even less. When I was a struggling college student I didn't have AC, I didn't have cable, I didn't have a cell phone, I didn't have video games or fancy gadgets, and I had a 10 year old car.
I didn't have a car.

I shared an apartment with 1 or more people until my last 2 years of grad school (I needed the peace and quiet for sanity reasons).

I didn't have a cell-phone, didn't have an iPod or MP3 Player, didn't have a DVD/VCR player, didn't have any games or Game-Boys, didn't have cable, and although we had AC, we opened the windows and used the ceiling fans.

And no student loans either.

These people are pampered on the Extravagant American Life-Style™.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Social Security is perfectly solvent

Say it with me three times...

Nothing is wrong...

It will still be there...

Brought to you by Baghdad Bob...
I love it.

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-24-2011 at 03:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies