Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 07:22 AM

511 posts, read 2,456,255 times

Advertisements

Brazil is much like Mexico where the white people who link their background to Europe are the leaders and look down at the dark skinned people. Your status in Brazil is based on how light your skin is. Southern Brazil is full of white people and better off and Northern Brazil is mostly black and poor. I have spent lots of time in Brazil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What about Brazil? A racial melting pot but everyone seems to have the same culture and of course language.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:28 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,981,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I grew up as a "minority" in California. (I'm white.) Most of the Mexicans were cool, but the blacks were really ghetto. I would not like to be a minority white in a black neighborhood in my hometown. I now live in the Atlanta metro area. I would have no problem being the only white guy in many of the black neighborhoods around here. They are great, middle class hoods with great middle class people. There are also a number of solidly black wealthy neighborhoods here too, which I bet even the most racist white would like to live in.

If the "minorities" live well, work hard and continue to make America great, I would prefer that to an all white trailer park America. It's not "white" that I care about -- it's being a good person of good character. I think I'm like most Americans in that regard.
Good post! I too grew up a white "minority" (in a majority black neighborhood) and would not have a problem being a national "minority". People are people.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:30 AM

629 posts, read 774,160 times
White men will still control most factors of production, scarace resources and capital.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:47 AM

511 posts, read 2,456,255 times
Unlike most of the world (where lighter skins brings benefits), being white is quickly becoming out of style in America. Multicultural and multi ethnic is in and hip. The media is turning away from white actors, and news people and replacing them with multi ethnic celebrities. There is an incredible amount of anti white talk on message boards, blogs and news comment sites. If you are anti white, no one complains, but if you are anti Black or Hispanic you are called racist.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:00 AM

12,952 posts, read 13,742,564 times
Afrikaners had a pretty good run being in the minority, about 400 years

Old 12-23-2011, 08:06 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,156,312 times
Quote:
By minority I don't mean simply less than 50%, I'm talking more like 20%. This may not happen for say 200 years, but would you be mortified if ever this were to happen? I mean let's say culturally all those Mexicans or Asians or whatever were still as American as apple pie, they just didn't have the stereotypical blonde hair blue eyes. American culture has always changed, really. If you woke up in say, Minneapolis in the year 2150 to find there were as many people of Hmong ancestry as there were Swedish ancestry what would you think?

I don't want to brand anyone as racist or anything, just honest opinions.

I guess for many it's already a reality lol.

No. I don't care. doesn't affect me in the least.

Those that do care...you WILL be assimilated.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:22 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,725,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
Unlike most of the world (where lighter skins brings benefits), being white is quickly becoming out of style in America. Multicultural and multi ethnic is in and hip. The media is turning away from white actors, and news people and replacing them with multi ethnic celebrities. There is an incredible amount of anti white talk on message boards, blogs and news comment sites. If you are anti white, no one complains, but if you are anti Black or Hispanic you are called racist.
i think you're a little paranoid dude. i live in a majority black county and i've yet to ever experience any "anti-white" behavior.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:24 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,989,088 times
Quote:
By minority I don't mean simply less than 50%, I'm talking more like 20%. This may not happen for say 200 years, but would you be mortified if ever this were to happen? I mean let's say culturally all those Mexicans or Asians or whatever were still as American as apple pie, they just didn't have the stereotypical blonde hair blue eyes. American culture has always changed, really. If you woke up in say, Minneapolis in the year 2150 to find there were as many people of Hmong ancestry as there were Swedish ancestry what would you think?

I don't want to brand anyone as racist or anything, just honest opinions.

I guess for many it's already a reality lol.
I have ZERO problem with it, in some areas they already are. People are people, they come in all colors and it is no determination of whether someone is good ar bad or if they are Good Americans that love this Nation.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:25 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,139,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Afrikaners had a pretty good run being in the minority, about 400 years
The Afrikaners had an unwritten social contract with the Anglo South Africans in which the Anglos controlled the private sector while the Afrikaners controlled the public sector. Afrikaners were underrepresented in the private sector and lagged in pretty much every statistical indicator relative to Anglos. They were the main supporters of the Apartheid system since the Apartheid system let them have a welfare system that they mostly benefited from.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:28 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,355,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
No.

And we have this same thread every two weeks.
^^This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies