Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 11:36 AM

629 posts, read 771,820 times

Advertisements

A long time friend of the family is gay and a conservative republican. He thinks the flambouyant adversarial attitude of gays is actually hurting the movement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 12:04 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicane View Post
A long time friend of the family is gay and a conservative republican. He thinks the flambouyant adversarial attitude of gays is actually hurting the movement.
It absolutely is. Absolutely,

Old 12-23-2011, 12:34 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
Right, to the extreme. Just striving for that evil, timeworn, dastardly 1% ideal, i.e. the American Dream. Such a conservative fuddy duddy. Keeping busy striving would certainly leave little time for an entitlement mentality, so prevalent today among the large and ever growing percentage of "takers".

Old 12-23-2011, 02:18 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Yes - as a kid I liked the idea of the UN - and I liked liberalism - and I liked to smoke a lot of pot - and I liked to sleep with as many woman as humanly possible - I like not having any rules - and most of all I liked me and had no empathy for anyone..NOW - I am conservative and try to conserve the things that are good and tried and true by time...I like family - privacy - truth - honour -loyality and the rule of law - I am more of a nationalist -and less of an internationalist...now as I mature even further - I find that there are no conservatives and liberalism has run amuck..so I guess I am a libertarian that seeks liberty..real freedom where I will not be persecuted by the common and mindless collective no matter what flag they fly - I like personal freedom and atonomy....FINALLY...I have discovered freedom and it does not reside within the confines of politics.

Wow! Powerful!

Old 12-23-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I was a long time republican and now I'm Independent with social leanings. I guess I've changed realizing how messed up (in my eyes) capitalism is by traveling to social countries.

What social countries would that be?

Old 12-23-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I then saw that big business interests owned both the Republicans and Democrats. I looked into the Libertarians. Libertarians, though, want only the government service specified in the Constitution. That is, tax dollars to only be used for supporting the military. No public schools, libraries, fire departments, police, trash removal, unemployment, Medicare, Medicaid, social security, EPA, etc. .

Part of your list is not true. Libertarians support government police and other law enforcement.

Why would you want the government to run trash removal?

Old 12-23-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I

It's funny you mention Gates. He did retire and stop working in the 90s. He said he was going to spend the rest of his life giving away the wealth he accumulated to causes he believes in. His focus is on how best to benefit humanity. He specifically has spoken out against given a vast fortune to anyone, even one's children.
Lots of wealthy people do what Gates is doing.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:33 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,963 times
And they have every right to, its there money. Funny thing is, ya see very few donating large chunks to the gvmt. Hummm , maybe they think they know what to do with it better then the gvmt?

Old 12-23-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post

The point remains, he is not going to be giving away all of his money before he dies. He's giving away a large chunk of it AFTER he and Melinda die. If he goes first, she gets all the money, and when she goes, the world gets most of it (as determined by them), with a couple of billion to their kids.

If the government had been saying that when he died, they were just goin to take it and do whatever they want with it...he'd have stopped ages ago.

I agree. The owner of the money should determine who gets it. Not the government.

It would be interesting to see how many of the uber rich give huge amounts of their wealth to charity as opposed to giving it all to their children. We might be surprised at how many charities they fund.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:37 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
And they have every right to, its there money. Funny thing is, ya see very few donating large chunks to the gvmt. Hummm , maybe they think they know what to do with it better then the gvmt?
So freaking what? What does any of this prove? It's human nature: when people have the chance to keep more of their money, they will. That explains why waiters often choose to keep silent about those cash tips. Doesn't matter. Citizenship isn't a choice; it's a duty. If we need to force people to pay more taxes, then so be it.

We're talking about which tax policies are going to be best for everyone. The economic data have proven this over and over again, regardless of what conservative revisionists like to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies