Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 08:51 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,899,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm sorry, but calling a life threatening pregnancy a "tag line" just reeked of ignorance, in the true sense of the word, lack of knowledge. Here's a google search for you:

Google
Ok let's look for an easier statistic. Of all of the abortions that happen per year, what % of them are considered for saving the mother's life.

I can't seem to find that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 08:52 AM

16,912 posts, read 10,610,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I'll point out the REPUBLICAN stance on this.

If you don't like your job or can't or won't do it...GET ANOTHER JOB.

It IS a concern that a nurse is allowed to pick and choose who she'll help.

Will that carry over to whether or not she feels the elderly should be kept alive or even comfortable?

Can a nurse choose to not help a severely impaired newborn who only has a life of agony ahead of it?

Will a female nurse decide not to help male patients because she was raped or abused by one??

Maybe nurses should just be glad they HAVE a job ...

Old 12-23-2011, 08:54 AM

18,414 posts, read 19,051,059 times
as most others have said, don't apply for a job doing something that might include something you don't want to do.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:56 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,899,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
It's pretty rare that a mother's life is significantly put in jeopardy due to pregnancy, but you could always argue that any pregnancy puts the mother's life in jeopardy. It's really a cop-out in most cases. Rare is the situation where a mother will die if the baby is not aborted and the baby will die outside of the womb.

That's why I call it a tag line. I know it happens. But the true tag line should be "Because they don't want the baby", which is pretty ridiculous IMO. Yet, that sounds bad so we aren't allowed to use that as the reason for abortion. We have to reach for the extreme once in a blue moon situation, just because it thrives on emotion.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:57 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
Quote:
It's pretty rare that a mother's life is significantly put in jeopardy due to pregnancy, but you could always argue that any pregnancy puts the mother's life in jeopardy. It's really a cop-out in most cases. Rare is the situation where a mother will die if the baby is not aborted and the baby will die outside of the womb.
A cop-out, lol! That google search I did lists conditions/diseases separately. I don't know if the particular statistic hOtmess is looking for is even available. Many people are familiar with the story of Tim Tebow's mother, who had dysentery and was advised (supposedly) to get an abortion to save her life. She chose not to take the medical advice, and it worked out fine. That is not always the case.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:58 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,480,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
That's why I call it a tag line. I know it happens. But the true tag line should be "Because they don't want the baby", which is pretty ridiculous IMO. Yet, that sounds bad so we aren't allowed to use that as the reason for abortion. We have to reach for the extreme once in a blue moon situation, just because it thrives on emotion.
This thread isn't about reasons for abortion, it's about whether someone's employer has the right to force them to participate in something they find morally wrong.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:59 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,173,528 times
I can understand that not ALL abortions are elective, and that some are done as a lifesaving procedure, and in that case, I can fully understand and agree that it is a part of the nurse's job.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:00 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,516,617 times
Quote:
The charge nurse should be prepared to do a the job that their staff is doing. Plus, people have been saying that but everything I know about the case says these are post-op nurses, not case managers.
The original article I read, when this story first broke a few months ago, said some of them were case managers. That may have been incorrect but not out of the realm of possibilty. I'm currently doing pediatric case management/nursing.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:00 AM

18,414 posts, read 19,051,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
women don't need to explain to anyone why they are getting an abortion. in the first trimester there really is no questions asked. the 1% of abortions that are late term are to save the life of the mother. no reason to "reach" for anything as it is no ones business.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:02 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,480,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
I can understand that not ALL abortions are elective, and that some are done as a lifesaving procedure, and in that case, I can fully understand and agree that it is a part of the nurse's job.
I agree that, unless a nurse works at an abortion clinic or other place where abortions are a primary part of what they do, she (or he) shouldn't be forced to participate in abortions except in life-threatening circumstances.

It seems that abortion is very common at this hospital. It's hard to know where to draw the line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies