Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 09:01 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,791,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
You think its bad here, check out Moslem countries!
I'm well aware of Muslim countries being worse, but I don't live in a country with many Muslims. There are certainly Christian nations that are just as evil as Muslim nations too (Uganda, Southern Nigeria).

Christianity has the fortunate advantage of already getting over its world destroying temper tantrum and has dominated in the Western, secular world where the type of behavior found in the Muslim dominated 3rd world is not tolerated.

It's not like Christianity at one time wasn't as awful as Islam is now. And if it were up to the Fundamentalist Theocrats, we'd probably still be at that point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 06:50 PM

10,035 posts, read 9,522,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Gee, this doesn't seem to be your approach in other threads.

To be fair, there are a lot of uneducated white people, too; many of them don't know about homophones.
what does a gay telephone look like?

Old 12-29-2011, 10:36 AM

46 posts, read 62,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
what does a gay telephone look like?
You don't want to know:P

My long story about 'tolerance of leftist, gay lovers and other scumba... er tolerant people:
I used to think that I am gay. I realize, that was a kind of delusion (or other symptom characteristic for borderline/schizotypal disorders).
First they hate me when I wrote it on forum for schizophrenics - call me crazy, homophobic and wrote "mental don't deserve for tolerance, because all mental are homophobic because I wrote that there is something like homosexual delusion[1]. It is interesting question - what on forum for schizophrenic do gay, who don't have connection with mental disorders (being ill, have mental friend or interests in that question) and no idea about this subject.
Anyway - the second time they hate me, because I wrote story of my homosexual thoughts in thread founded by young men, who had some homosexual dreams, but have loving and loved girlfriend. They wrote, that he is homosexual, it is nothing bad, he must break with his girlfriend. 'Ok - I wrote, but if you have depression and anxiety, you can be in the same situation I was. Or - if you have desire to man and to your girlfriend - you might be bisexual, so you can still be in relationship with her'. They went crazy, I can't write what exactly they write in public forum (and - to be honest - I don't want to look for that thread), but if someone write something like this about gay, it would be called 'hate crime'.

[1] Great Polish psychiatrist, Antonii Kępiński wrote in "Schizophrenia" - book, which revolutionized approach to patient - that mental patients often think that they're gays, because everybody in early stages of their lives thinking that, but mental rarely have opportunity to confirm their orientation.

Anyway I know two other people, who are supposed to be borderline/schizotypal (in Poland they don't diagnose specific personality disorders) who used to think that they were gay - one young man want to commit suicide because of this, one young woman has lived eight year in relationship with girl (who today has husband), but she started to think that she is lesbian,when she was sixteen[2] and she is ACoA. Both meet with hate from gay activists and 'tolerant people'.

[2]my ex- and maybe future therapist- said, that anybody, who say, that sixteen years old is gay, is simply stupid, because orientation of teenagers is not completely formed in view of scientific research (my therapist is qualified psychologist and therapist, not leftist politician, so she has not an interest in lie).

All over world gay and their lovers speak about tolerance... and hate mental/mood/personality/anxious disordered or retarded. Gay member of Polish parliament call his opponent that he is not only homophobic, but also has Tourette syndrome (he obviously has not this syndrome) and he constantly send their opponents to psychiatrist (and gives them referrals to psychiatrist, nomen omen in Poland void).
But there is a hope - few days ago i saw a little poster "Say stop to discrimination people because of they are different"...
- on the bottom of message board...
- inside mental hospital...
But who say, that mental need parades of tolerance?
---------------
edit: Maybe Polish approached with caution to people, who speak about gays rights, because people who started to speak about gay rights one year earlier were major force in breach of gay rights (I suppose that between time when their was communist - PZPR - and become social-democrats (SDRP) expired one year).

Last edited by schizotypalAureliusz; 12-29-2011 at 11:07 AM..

Old 12-30-2011, 07:45 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,184,173 times
Are gays different or same as everyone else? For decades we were "told" gays are just like everyone else. But now, we have to have special laws "protecting" them? Why?

Old 12-30-2011, 07:53 AM

4,301 posts, read 4,415,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
America is full of homophobes, those who openly declare their hatred for gays and those who keep it subtle, like in the closet.
Homophobes can smear gays with any epithets they desire, they will be defended. If homophobes are criticized they bristle with anger and indignation, such as 'how dare you criticize our righteousness!'
So why is this? Is homophobia a cherished American Family Value? Is hatred a cherished American Family Value? Maybe it is. Is a homophobe the ideal American citizen? The role model for others?
Why is that that homophobes regard gays as people with mental problems, but homophobia is not considered a mental problem?
I am not gay, but I'm not a homophobe either.
I think you have answered your own question. I am for equal rights as what others do is no business of mine - until they get into my business, at least. The majority of Americans simply don't accept homosexuality. Even those of us who are "live and let live" don't want to hear, nor see, any of the gory details. It simply freaks us out. That may not be what you want to hear, but I'm just being honest. Homosexuality is just going to have to learn to live like punk rockers, OWS movement, Tea Partiers, or other groups that are socially tolerated (and maybe even encouraged a bit) but the majority don't want to get that intimate with them.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Are gays different or same as everyone else? For decades we were "told" gays are just like everyone else. But now, we have to have special laws "protecting" them? Why?
For the same reason we have special laws protecting women, non-whites, married couples, etc. Someone shouldn't be discriminated against for being who they are.

Do you know anyone that was fired merely for being straight?

Old 12-30-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
I think you have answered your own question. I am for equal rights as what others do is no business of mine - until they get into my business, at least. The majority of Americans simply don't accept homosexuality. Even those of us who are "live and let live" don't want to hear, nor see, any of the gory details. It simply freaks us out. That may not be what you want to hear, but I'm just being honest. Homosexuality is just going to have to learn to live like punk rockers, OWS movement, Tea Partiers, or other groups that are socially tolerated (and maybe even encouraged a bit) but the majority don't want to get that intimate with them.
Actually, the majority of Americans do support gays and same-sex marriage.

And what gory details would those be? Locker room talk amongst straight guys is ridiculously common. That's not exactly any less gross than gays. And most straight guys love hot lesbians, so it's not even a consistent dislike.

It's a pure, 100% patriarchal, male dominated social construct. Society has historically viewed men as superior, stronger, the bread winner, etc. therefore better than women. Gay men challenge that archaic view, so society views 2 men being together as weak, feminine, submissive, etc. and thus looked down on.

It's also due to it being uncommon. We don't see 2 men or 2 women kissing, holding hands, etc. that often in our culture, so nobody can really get used to or adjust to it. Such behavior is more common in places like Europe, so it doesn't phase them as much.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:35 AM

4,301 posts, read 4,415,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Actually, the majority of Americans do support gays and same-sex marriage.

And what gory details would those be? Locker room talk amongst straight guys is ridiculously common. That's not exactly any less gross than gays. And most straight guys love hot lesbians, so it's not even a consistent dislike.

It's a pure, 100% patriarchal, male dominated social construct. Society has historically viewed men as superior, stronger, the bread winner, etc. therefore better than women. Gay men challenge that archaic view, so society views 2 men being together as weak, feminine, submissive, etc. and thus looked down on.

It's also due to it being uncommon. We don't see 2 men or 2 women kissing, holding hands, etc. that often in our culture, so nobody can really get used to or adjust to it. Such behavior is more common in places like Europe, so it doesn't phase them as much.
And I support same-sex marriage as well, but it is what it is. That is the reality that the homosexual community must live in. Locker room talk between straights (although tacky) isn't considered freaky because the majority of men are straight. Men on men sex just grosses us out. All the brow beating isn't going to change that. As a matter of fact, the more we are talked down for it, the more we will resist. That too, is human nature. The majority of people will not want to hear or see the gory details. Be content to have the majority exercise a "live-and-let-live" philosophy. Perhaps, in time, even that will change to a larger sense of acceptance.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:37 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,475,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schizotypalAureliusz View Post
You don't want to know:P

My long story about 'tolerance of leftist, gay lovers and other scumba... er tolerant people:
I used to think that I am gay. I realize, that was a kind of delusion (or other symptom characteristic for borderline/schizotypal disorders).
First they hate me when I wrote it on forum for schizophrenics - call me crazy, homophobic and wrote "mental don't deserve for tolerance, because all mental are homophobic because I wrote that there is something like homosexual delusion[1]. It is interesting question - what on forum for schizophrenic do gay, who don't have connection with mental disorders (being ill, have mental friend or interests in that question) and no idea about this subject.
Anyway - the second time they hate me, because I wrote story of my homosexual thoughts in thread founded by young men, who had some homosexual dreams, but have loving and loved girlfriend. They wrote, that he is homosexual, it is nothing bad, he must break with his girlfriend. 'Ok - I wrote, but if you have depression and anxiety, you can be in the same situation I was. Or - if you have desire to man and to your girlfriend - you might be bisexual, so you can still be in relationship with her'. They went crazy, I can't write what exactly they write in public forum (and - to be honest - I don't want to look for that thread), but if someone write something like this about gay, it would be called 'hate crime'.

[1] Great Polish psychiatrist, Antonii Kępiński wrote in "Schizophrenia" - book, which revolutionized approach to patient - that mental patients often think that they're gays, because everybody in early stages of their lives thinking that, but mental rarely have opportunity to confirm their orientation.

Anyway I know two other people, who are supposed to be borderline/schizotypal (in Poland they don't diagnose specific personality disorders) who used to think that they were gay - one young man want to commit suicide because of this, one young woman has lived eight year in relationship with girl (who today has husband), but she started to think that she is lesbian,when she was sixteen[2] and she is ACoA. Both meet with hate from gay activists and 'tolerant people'.

[2]my ex- and maybe future therapist- said, that anybody, who say, that sixteen years old is gay, is simply stupid, because orientation of teenagers is not completely formed in view of scientific research (my therapist is qualified psychologist and therapist, not leftist politician, so she has not an interest in lie).

All over world gay and their lovers speak about tolerance... and hate mental/mood/personality/anxious disordered or retarded. Gay member of Polish parliament call his opponent that he is not only homophobic, but also has Tourette syndrome (he obviously has not this syndrome) and he constantly send their opponents to psychiatrist (and gives them referrals to psychiatrist, nomen omen in Poland void).
But there is a hope - few days ago i saw a little poster "Say stop to discrimination people because of they are different"...
- on the bottom of message board...
- inside mental hospital...
But who say, that mental need parades of tolerance?
---------------
edit: Maybe Polish approached with caution to people, who speak about gays rights, because people who started to speak about gay rights one year earlier were major force in breach of gay rights (I suppose that between time when their was communist - PZPR - and become social-democrats (SDRP) expired one year).
1) Just because you thought you were gay and turned out not to be doesn't mean this is true of all gay people.

2) You don't have to be mentally ill to think you are gay and then realize you are not.

3) Many schizophrenic people and people with other mental illnesses are never confused about their sexual orientation and sexuality, or at least go through the same process of self-discovery as the general population, but nothing more.

4) I'm sorry you had a bad experience on one forum for schizophrenics, but that doesn't mean all schizophrenics are like that.

You are linking two phenomena that, maybe in your case, had to do with each other, but otherwise don't have anything to do with each other. This is evidenced by the fact that there are many sane gay people and many delusional straight people walking around.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:13 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,924,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Because homophobes have their own political party(GOP). Still cannot understand why some Gays support the GOP.

It is mostly because the fiscal conservatism and tax policies personally benefit them. It has parallels to the Jews that worked hand in hand with the Nazi party and reaped the financial rewards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies