Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 10:29 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times

Advertisements

Not bad for costing taxpayers 250K a car.

GM (GM) was originally so excited about the Volt that the company had announced in January it was speeding up its roll-out by six months. But by November the excitement had fizzled out. Larry Nitz, GM’s executive director for vehicle electrification told Reuters, “It’s naive to think that the world is going to switch tomorrow to EVs [electric vehicles].” Indeed, sales for the vehicle have been consistently low. Only 125 models were sold in July 2011. This was after GM spokeswoman Michelle Bunker was quoted as saying that the Volt was “virtually sold out” due to its popularity — a statement later shown to be misguided. Adding insult to injury, Chevy Volts are under investigation for fires involving the cars’ lithium-ion batteries. For concerned Volt owners, GM has offered free loaner cars.

The Worst Product Flops of 2011 - Yahoo! Finance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 10:40 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Putting it in perspective, numbers 1 and 2...

Quote:
1. Ashley Push-Up Triangle
Company: Abercrombie & Fitch

While no stranger to controversy, Abercrombie & Fitch (ANF) seemed to have crossed a line this time. In March, 2011, the retailer unveiled its spring line for Abercrombie Kids, a division targeting children ages 8 to 14. Included in the line was the “Ashley” Push-Up Triangle, a bikini top with padding. The launch prompted a violent response from parent groups. Several child development experts also criticized the top because it sexualized young girls. At first, Abercrombie tried to address the concerns by reclassifying the top as padded and saying it was not intended for very young girls. It stated on Facebook: “We’ve re-categorized the Ashley swimsuit as padded. We agree with those who say it is best ‘suited’ for girls age 12 and older.” But while the bottoms are still available, the bikini top is no longer featured on the company’s website.

2. Qwikster
Company: Netflix

In September 2011, Netflix (NFLX) announced that it would be separating its online streaming service and its DVD mail service. Streaming was going to continue under the Netflix brand, while DVD-by-mail was going to operate under a new website called Qwikster. The change and the accompanying increase in prices outraged customers, leading the company to kill off Qwikster before it was even launched. CEO Reed Hastings announced this decision in a blog post on the company’s website in which he began, “I messed up. I owe everyone an explanation.” The blog post was mobbed with more than 27,000 comments from angry customers. The ordeal cost the company approximately 800,000 customers.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:41 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,204,544 times
Wouldn't product flops be more at home in the Science and Technology forum?

If you want to discuss the Volt's sales figures then shouldn't it be in the Automotive forum?

Old 01-04-2012, 11:10 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Wouldn't product flops be more at home in the Science and Technology forum?

If you want to discuss the Volt's sales figures then shouldn't it be in the Automotive forum?
Possible, but I think government funding of the Volt (directly via tax credits of some $7500 ea), it's development and the bail-out of the manufacturer makes it both political and controversial. GM has a habit of pizzing away $billions on PC, government supported ventures like this (remember EV-1 and fuel cell activities?) rather than on focusing on making good, quality cars that the consumer wants. And taking decades to develop marginal technology.

They certainly did some things right, especially back in '55. And the new LS engines are pretty great too.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:13 PM

442 posts, read 540,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Possible, but I think government funding of the Volt (directly via tax credits of some $7500 ea), it's development and the bail-out of the manufacturer makes it both political and controversial. GM has a habit of pizzing away $billions on PC, government supported ventures like this (remember EV-1 and fuel cell activities?) rather than on focusing on making good, quality cars that the consumer wants. And taking decades to develop marginal technology.

They certainly did some things right, especially back in '55. And the new LS engines are pretty great too.
yup because good, quality cars and the market are great no matter how much they release harmful chemicals my future children will breathe yep yep the market is the answer!

Old 01-04-2012, 11:34 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,954,385 times
Why would you want a Volt when you can get the Leaf for a few grand less?
People in the market for a hybrid or electric are value buyers anyways and the Volt is overpriced.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homiej View Post
yup because good, quality cars and the market are great no matter how much they release harmful chemicals my future children will breathe yep yep the market is the answer!
Future children? You would be irresponsible to bring children into a world where cars are driven around and oil is sloshed around and global warming will doom us all. What are you thinking?

Old 01-05-2012, 12:33 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Not bad for costing taxpayers 250K a car.
Please cite a source on that figure. I think you're probably just making it up.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Please cite a source on that figure. I think you're probably just making it up.
Chevy Volt Costing Taxpayers Up to $250K Per Vehicle [Michigan Capitol Confidential]

Old 01-05-2012, 02:38 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,293,968 times
So your link is a right wing think tank that praises teabaggers, Yeah I'm going to believe that, just like I believe that half of Americans are freeloading deadbeats.

Even if it was true, which I doubt, how much of that was spent on research and development? Didn't think I'd come up with that diddy did you?

Quote:
More recently, the Center has spoken approvingly about the Tea Party movement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies