Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Empathy: Strength or Weakness?
Strength 123 83.67%
Weakness 24 16.33%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 05:27 PM

932 posts, read 1,178,001 times

Advertisements

I have come to the conclusion that as a society, not only are we becoming less empathetic towards others and almost robot-like, but empathy itself is becoming increasingly seen as a weakness, rather than a strength.

You need look no further than City-Data to see how empathy towards others (e.g. the poor) is frowned upon or considered left-wing, liberal or "bleeding heart" (which is a ridiculous term, IMO).

I have seen many people attacked, both online and in real-life for defending the less fortunate. I see this country leaning more towards social Darwinism / "only the strong wil survive". I personally believe that empathy towards others is a vital human trait and one we must pass on to future generations. Social Darwinism is a huge step backwards. In our society, often those who succeed financially seem to lack empathy for others, leading me to believe that financial success and lack of empathy are somehow connected to one another (I'm not saying all rich people are *******s, before anyone replies to that effect).

So as a society, are we becoming less empathetic? Also, please feel free to vote in the (anonymous) poll, along with sharing your own thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 06:46 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,204,544 times
Could the attitude you see be because the ~sniffle~ poor, downtrodden, weak and less fortunate have been taking advantage of people's generosity?

Yathink?

Old 12-29-2011, 06:50 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Funny how the people that talk about "generosity" as if it's some kind of disease probably aren't in any position to be generous anyway.

That said, empathy is strength. I practice it as much as i can.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:54 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,596,615 times
I think it's fine to have empathy where empathy is warranted. Plus, there is a difference between "sympathy" and "empathy". George Bush can't empathize with a poor person. I don't have sympathy for the guy who is homeless because he drank his life away. But I don't think that sympathy or empathy is a sign of weakness. If people perceive it as a sign of weakness then that's a mistake on their part. If Iran thought the US was weak be the government wanted to talk sense instead of exchange insult, then it still wouldn't change the fact that we would kick the ever-loving crap of them militarily.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:20 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,104 times
Your typical white liberal's empathy is not constrained by reality, so it is weakness, because it is stupid and naive.

We are becoming less compassionate as a society. Maybe it has something to do with the trillions of dollars we've spent on the problem of poverty over the last 50 years with less than stellar results.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:23 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Your typical white liberal's empathy is not constrained by reality, so it is weakness, because it is stupid and naive.

We are becoming less compassionate as a society. Maybe it has something to do with the trillions of dollars we've spent on the problem of poverty over the last 50 years with less than stellar results.
We've spent trillions on wars too with less than stellar results. Why is there no lack of compassion for that stuff?

Old 12-29-2011, 07:30 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,316,377 times
Empathy was a major strength of Jesus. Why would anyone NOT see it as a quality we should all emulate in our daily lives?

Old 12-29-2011, 07:31 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
We've spent trillions on wars too with less than stellar results. Why is there no lack of compassion for that stuff?
Well the two are fundamentally different so you can't really compare them like that (the word compassion doesn't even work there). But actually, yes, there has been a loss of enthusiasm and just concern for the ME in general if you ask me.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:33 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,204,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Empathy was a major strength of Jesus. Why would anyone NOT see it as a quality we should all emulate in our daily lives?
Nature has no "empathy" for the weak, it's called survival of the fittest.

How did Jesus wind up?

Nailed to some wood, dead...

Old 12-29-2011, 07:35 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,530,444 times
Neither! It is simply a label for when we are personally familiar with what someone else is experiencing. We identify with some conditions or experiences more than we do others because we, too have "walked in their shoes."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies