Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 05:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times

Advertisements

How is more taxes going to help anyone. Once the government gets its hands on it they will spend it on pork projects.

Heck..they thought the money paid back from TARP was for more spending and even started talking about what they would spend it on.

Get real here. Until you get Congress under control higher taxes won't benefit anyone but those that receive the pork contracts and it ain't the lower 99% of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 08:28 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,413,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post

....I just resent the notion that people in my social station are not as valuable to society as rich people, somehow not as good and virtuous as those at the top--something clearly stated or implied by many conservatives on this board.
Oh, you are no doubt plenty good and virtuous, and your dog is just as affectionate towards you as anyone's.

But Bill Gates at Microsoft, Gordon Moore at Intel, and Michael Dell helped launch a productivity revolution that pulled millions up from poverty around the globe and revolutionized business productivity. They made it possible for me to launch a business and save tens of thousands of dollars in overhead expense.

Good and virtuous is one thing. "Valuable to society" is another thing. It is measurable, and you and me are both are way, way down the list of who has been most valuable to society. I doubt if I have been of any value to you, or you to me, but the mega-wealthy as a group have lined my pockets and made my life better. They OUGHT to have gotten rich in the process. I'm just sayin'.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:51 AM

30,077 posts, read 18,682,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Why do Republicans have this love affair with rich people. So much, they can't stand the thought of having them pay their fair of taxes on their riches. Is it because the think they are "job creators". Want to avoid "class warfare". Or just admire people who "work hard". You would think they were the ones enjoying the lifestyle instead of the actual rich folks. Just curious to see their reasoning.

Here is the problem-

1. Liberals perceive someone else's income and wealth as it is PRIMARILY THE PROPERTY OF THE GOVERNMENT and that the government ALLOWS AN INDIVIDUAL to keep some of thier wealth and income.

2. Conservatives believe that someone's wealth and income is PRIMARILY THE PROPERTY FO THE INDIVIDUAL and that the individual ALLOWS THE GOVERNMENT to keep a portion of that through taxation.

LIBERALS FEEL AS THOUGH THE RIGHTS OF THE STATE SUPERCEDE THOSE OF THE INDIVIDUAL. CONSERVATIVES FEEL AS THOUGH THE RIGHTS OF THE INDIVIDUAL ARE GREATER THAN THOSE OF THE STATE. Which is "correct"? It depends on whether one values liberty or "security" in exchange for freedom.

Logically, if one earns their money, the government should not have the right to take it, at their leisure, in a free society. Confiscation of one's income and assets through the federal government is creeping closer and closer to a totalitarian state, in which the rights of the individual are sacrificed for the good of the state.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:42 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,398,237 times
Quote:
Don't the rich just use the tax code creatively (via their very expensive accounts) to get as many deductions as possible, segmentize their money, re-invest their money, park their money, and even move it away from the shores of the United States and "hide" their money?
Yes they do! I don't know why the Republicans have a love affair with the rich. I just know not to vote for them. I don't agree with some of the Democrats positions, but at least they are for the middle class working people

Old 12-31-2011, 09:44 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,409,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
Like so others on this thread, I just ask that the loopholes that exist be eliminated. I agree that an enforceable flat tax is the best option----to level the playing field for everybody.
I agree that we need to reduce or eliminate deductions/loopholes for individuals and corporations, though I don't think flat tax is the answer. The inequities aren't due to rates, that's the easy part of taxation. It's all the convoluted deductions, exemptions, etc. that cause the inequalities.

But to those who suggest 'the rich' pay little to nothing in taxes...just not true. The rich are avoiding some taxes, but not a lot. And it's probably because long term capital gains make up a larger portion of their total, which suggests deductions aren't helping them disproportionately at all.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:19 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
But to those who suggest 'the rich' pay little to nothing in taxes...just not true. The rich are avoiding some taxes, but not a lot. And it's probably because long term capital gains make up a larger portion of their total, which suggests deductions aren't helping them disproportionately at all.

That chart shows tax data for all federal, state and local taxes combined.
Source: Just How Progressive Is the Tax System? - NYTimes.com

State and local tax systems vary widely, and to a certain extent, one can choose to avoid living in highly taxing localities.

A better indicator to look at in determining who bears the greatest federal tax burden would be the blue bars indicating percentage of income paid in federal taxes, in the following chart:

Looking at that, it's quite easy to see that the rich, in fact, do bear the heaviest federal tax burden, by far.

All of this info is publicly published and readily available, so I'd like to know exactly why so many just blindly accept the purposely deceptive and manipulative leftist propaganda that claims the rich don't pay any taxes or don't pay their "fair share."

Why do so many people just mindlessly let themselves be duped and manipulated like that?

Old 12-31-2011, 10:54 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,947,298 times
I guess I would ask you OP if Democrats like these people would pay their taxes, we just might not have to go after one particular group of people. Some rich people have made their fortune by working hard.

Say Anything » Hannity: Why Don’t Democrats Pay Their Taxes? » Say Anything. While reading, you might notice all of these people have one thing in common (D)................

You might say that question is a bit unfair, and paints the left with an unfair broad brush, but when you consider Daschle and Geithner and Rangel and Franken and Caroline Kennedy and on and on, well…it starts to become more of a legitimate request for information.
The most egregious tax evader is former Ways and Means Committee Chairman Charley Rangel. Congressman Rangel has severe charges leveled against him, which could cost him his seat in the House.

Massachusetts Senator John Kerry picked up a $7 million yacht. Doesn’t every senator have a $7,000,000 yacht? The yacht was docked in Rhode Island, not in his home state where the sales tax is $437,500 and the excise tax is $70,000 annually. Kerry finally acquiesced and said he will pay the tax.

Bill and Hillary Clinton didn’t cheat on their taxes but they had millions invested in overseas accounts taking advantage of tax shelters. The Clintons may have needed the money to pay for their daughter’s wedding.

Wealthy Democrats don't pay their Fair Share of Tax
The enemies of the FairTax are the ultra-wealthy, those whose jobs depend on the current tax system, the National Retail Federation (NRF), and the uninformed. One of the taxes eliminated by the FairTax is the estate tax. Warren Buffet, Bill Gates' father, Sen. Ted Kennedy, and George Soros have all requested that we keep the estate tax. If you look at their publicized financial records you will find that their money is protected from the IRS through trusts or foundations. For example Sen. Kennedy has $500 million in trusts based in Jamaica, Cayman Islands, and the bulk of it in Fiji. The Kennedy oil company operating in five states, once called Kenn Oil, is now named The Arctic Oil Royalty Trust. George Soros "holds the bulk of his billions in tax-free overseas accounts."

If the Democrats are truly the protectors of the poor and of Social Security why do they continue to support the most regressive tax on the working poor and middle class. The Payroll tax for Social Security is only paid on wage income up to $90,000. Most Senators and wealthy Democrats like the Kennedys, Kerrys, Soros family and Hollywood celebrities stop supporting these crucial programs after $90,000.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:58 AM

1,316 posts, read 2,465,744 times
Quote:
Why do Republicans have this love affair with rich people. So much, they can't stand the thought of having them pay their fair of taxes on their riches. Is it because the think they are "job creators". Want to avoid "class warfare". Or just admire people who "work hard". You would think they were the ones enjoying the lifestyle instead of the actual rich folks. Just curious to see their reasoning.
Because they themselves are the one percenters with huge tax breaks and have their own best interest in mind, not the middle class. Yeah, that sounds fair. It just cracks me up when Romney talks about the middle class and when he himself is worth $250 million dollars http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...s-250-million/ If Romney wins, there will be no middle class. Just rich and poor and nothing in between. Yeah, there's change you can believe in.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:01 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,818,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I guess I would ask you OP if Democrats like these people would pay their taxes, we just might not have to go after one particular group of people. Some rich people have made their fortune by working hard.

Say Anything » Hannity: Why Don’t Democrats Pay Their Taxes? » Say Anything. While reading, you might notice all of these people have one thing in common (D)................

You might say that question is a bit unfair, and paints the left with an unfair broad brush, but when you consider Daschle and Geithner and Rangel and Franken and Caroline Kennedy and on and on, well…it starts to become more of a legitimate request for information.
The most egregious tax evader is former Ways and Means Committee Chairman Charley Rangel. Congressman Rangel has severe charges leveled against him, which could cost him his seat in the House.

Massachusetts Senator John Kerry picked up a $7 million yacht. Doesn’t every senator have a $7,000,000 yacht? The yacht was docked in Rhode Island, not in his home state where the sales tax is $437,500 and the excise tax is $70,000 annually. Kerry finally acquiesced and said he will pay the tax.

Bill and Hillary Clinton didn’t cheat on their taxes but they had millions invested in overseas accounts taking advantage of tax shelters. The Clintons may have needed the money to pay for their daughter’s wedding.

Wealthy Democrats don't pay their Fair Share of Tax
The enemies of the FairTax are the ultra-wealthy, those whose jobs depend on the current tax system, the National Retail Federation (NRF), and the uninformed. One of the taxes eliminated by the FairTax is the estate tax. Warren Buffet, Bill Gates' father, Sen. Ted Kennedy, and George Soros have all requested that we keep the estate tax. If you look at their publicized financial records you will find that their money is protected from the IRS through trusts or foundations. For example Sen. Kennedy has $500 million in trusts based in Jamaica, Cayman Islands, and the bulk of it in Fiji. The Kennedy oil company operating in five states, once called Kenn Oil, is now named The Arctic Oil Royalty Trust. George Soros "holds the bulk of his billions in tax-free overseas accounts."

If the Democrats are truly the protectors of the poor and of Social Security why do they continue to support the most regressive tax on the working poor and middle class. The Payroll tax for Social Security is only paid on wage income up to $90,000. Most Senators and wealthy Democrats like the Kennedys, Kerrys, Soros family and Hollywood celebrities stop supporting these crucial programs after $90,000.

Extreme right propaganda sources like Hannity and free republican have absolutely no credibility.

The question is which none on the right have answered so far is, why do you, as a lower middle to middle class american, support and defend the rich when all they want to do is raise your taxes and don't give a damn about you?

Old 12-31-2011, 11:08 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,947,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That chart shows tax data for all federal, state and local taxes combined.
Source: Just How Progressive Is the Tax System? - NYTimes.com

State and local tax systems vary widely, and to a certain extent, one can choose to avoid living in highly taxing localities.

A better indicator to look at in determining who bears the greatest federal tax burden would be the blue bars indicating percentage of income paid in federal taxes, in the following chart:

Looking at that, it's quite easy to see that the rich, in fact, do bear the heaviest federal tax burden, by far.

All of this info is publicly published and readily available, so I'd like to know exactly why so many just blindly accept the purposely deceptive and manipulative leftist propaganda that claims the rich don't pay any taxes or don't pay their "fair share."

Why do so many people just mindlessly let themselves be duped and manipulated like that?
It's easier to believe people who give away freebies
and telling people they are for "FREE", never telling them
that someone is paying for their lunch. Not sure, how these
people think, the rich are getting rich off of the backs of
people who never pay taxes in the first place. Stop the hiding
of money and the loopholes.

Just last year Pam Anderson was being reported as being a
few years behind in taxes, she just wasn't paying, her fair share,
was all that was reported. When Willie Nelson's accountant screwed
up his taxes, they were all ready for the pot smoker to be "smoked and fried"!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies