Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 03:56 AM

68,335 posts, read 54,455,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
American culture reminds me of a Thanksgiving turkey...dry, bland and tasteless.

You just need to find a better cook.............................................. ......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 04:03 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,928,000 times
getting drunk and watching football

Old 01-03-2012, 12:10 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,241,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyWay View Post
jealousy is one reason, country's in western Europe don't like the fact that they are now insignificant on the world stage and they used to be the center of it and other country's are jealous that they are insignificant and never where significant.
That's an easy conclusion to come to. Or, you can take a more nuanced view and realize that most European nations really don't have any good reasons to admire us all that much.

If i were them, i'd think we were pretty dumb based on our desire to spend three quarters of a trillion dollars per year on defense alone. Nothing admirable about that. In fact, it's laughable. Providing defense for Japan and South Korea should make us a laughingstock by itself.

Then when you look at the War on Drugs, you truly have enough material to launch a comedy show.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:17 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,210,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Providing defense for Japan and South Korea should make us a laughingstock by itself.
Hmmm. I'm thinking the South Koreans are kind of liking it right now.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:28 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,817,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
As far as our current garbage pop culture, in my travels, not one person I met overseas likes any current music and tv from America
That's true. I remember when I was visiting Australia and New Zealand a few years ago their television content was about 50% made in the US.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:54 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,426,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08
You are wrong

American cities vs. London, Paris, Berlin, Copenhagen, Oslo, Warsaw, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Madrid, Stockholm, Rome, Barcelona etc....yeah, Euro cities own America.... you say Miami and Vegas lol... funny

"The Best" city game is a fools game.

BUT: In terms of influencing business, entertainment, fashion and culture in the world... it's pretty much: New York, LA, Tokyo, Paris and London.

Quote:
America is 63% vs 50% for Europe.... yeah, both are pretty bad, but America is solidly worse
Being a fatty is unattrative, but 13% less fat people isn't much to write home about. Give it time. Europe is fast catching up, and that's WITHOUT delicious Southern cooking to blame it on!

Quote:
As far as our current garbage pop culture, in my travels, not one person I met overseas likes any current music and tv from America
Oh come on now. That's a flat out lie. Check the top charts for any country. American music dominates, with Brits also well represented.

I was in Mexico this past summer, and was hanging with some better-heeled young Mexicans. The kind of people that may be referred to as "taste makers," very plugged in to the fabulous life scene. I got the impression that they "didn't like Americans" very much... perhaps from too much interaction with Americans in tourist towns.... but they had no problem showing off their IPods, and dancing to Lady Gaga, Nicki Minaj, and Britney Spears.... the lyrics for which they knew by heart, despite only a minimal knowledge of English.

Similarly, half the shows on TV were American. Including, "Los Simpson"!

In England, American shows make up a large portion of the Television selection, and American clothing and fashion brands are finding emerging growth markets in foreign countries while facing declining sales at home.

The most popular singles compiled from a worlwide sample of Top 100 Sales Charts from 65 countries around the world:

http://top40-charts.com/chart.php?cid=35

Not much outta France, Sweden or Italy there.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Hmmm. I'm thinking the South Koreans are kind of liking it right now.
Of course they are. They can spend their money on domestic programs and laugh at us under their breath. Yea...i'd LOVE it if i were them. It's a no brainer.

But i don't give a damn about what they like. Defending wealthy nations at the cost of billions makes us look like idiots. Because we are idiots. And i sure as hell don't see why any nation would admire that about us.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
"The Best" city game is a fools game.

BUT: In terms of influencing business, entertainment, fashion and culture in the world... it's pretty much: New York, LA, Tokyo, Paris and London.

Being a fatty is unattrative, but 13% less fat people isn't much to write home about. Give it time. Europe is fast catching up, and that's WITHOUT delicious Southern cooking to blame it on!

Oh come on now. That's a flat out lie. Check the top charts for any country. American music dominates, with Brits also well represented.

I was in Mexico this past summer, and was hanging with some better-heeled young Mexicans. The kind of people that may be referred to as "taste makers," very plugged in to the fabulous life scene. I got the impression that they "didn't like Americans" very much... perhaps from too much interaction with Americans in tourist towns.... but they had no problem showing off their IPods, and dancing to Lady Gaga, Nicki Minaj, and Britney Spears.... the lyrics for which they knew by heart, despite only a minimal knowledge of English.

Similarly, half the shows on TV were American. Including, "Los Simpson"!

In England, American shows make up a large portion of the Television selection, and American clothing and fashion brands are finding emerging growth markets in foreign countries while facing declining sales at home.

The most popular singles compiled from a worlwide sample of Top 100 Sales Charts from 65 countries around the world:

World Singles Official Top 100 @ Top40-Charts.com - Songs & Videos from 49 Top 20 & Top 40 Music Charts from 30 Countries
If they actually admire us for our music (the non-jazz type), they must truly be depraved. My God...they need help.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:23 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,302,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyWay View Post
jealousy is one reason, country's in western Europe don't like the fact that they are now insignificant on the world stage and they used to be the center of it and other country's are jealous that they are insignificant and never where significant.
Unlikely. What do they have to be jealous about? An economy in shambles? Guns and gods?

What do you really know about Europe?
Europe seems to be quite happy about where they are in the scheme of things, they laugh at the US spending beaucoup $$ on what?

They take care of their citizenry and can't understand why the US doesn't have universal healthcare.
Other than that, they don't think too much about the US (from what I can see).
I live, work and travel extensively throughout Europe (and SE Asia).

Old 01-03-2012, 02:04 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,817,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
They take care of their citizenry and can't understand why the US doesn't have universal healthcare.
Does that make the US less cultural?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies