Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 05:09 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,409,524 times

Advertisements

I decided to join the LP during the last election, but I was not active enough, apparently. cough..obama..cough. I refuse to sit on my fanny in 2012. Hopefully someone else would like to take part in a Libertarian party thread.

So far, I looked at the candidates and I picked: GOVERNOR GARY JOHNSON ANNOUNCES HE WILL SEEK LIBERTARIAN NOMINATION

Not only because of his principles, but because he's good-looking and I think as such he may be more electable than the other (wonderful) candidates. Can I invite any other Libertarians--and anyone else who cares about our freedom as Americans--out there to join us in the quest to take back our country?

It looks like the convention is May 4-6, 2012 (Politics1 - 2012 Election Calendar - Presidential Election Calendar), but I am going to verify w/ my local chapter.

Anybody excited, yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 05:22 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,485,034 times
Maybe. We'll see how Ron Paul does in the GOP first.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Maybe. We'll see how Ron Paul does in the GOP first.
I don't think Ron Paul has the right to call himself a Libertarian considering his stance on abortion.

We have enough serious issues facing the country without fighting Roe V Wade all over again. For the record, I am against abortion, but I don't think it is the Federal government's job to dictate how many children a woman should have.

As a Christian, I believe that's between the "mother" and God...and while I may not approve, I believe my God has asked me not to judge others. Ron Paul has a few good ideas, but he's totally lost me on the abortion issue.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:31 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,485,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I don't think Ron Paul has the right to call himself a Libertarian considering his stance on abortion.
Republicans may *** about abortion but they aren't going to do anything about it. That goes for Ron Paul as well.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Republicans may *** about abortion but they aren't going to do anything about it. That goes for Ron Paul as well.
According to his campaign website, RP plans to do a LOT about trying to criminalize abortion.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:48 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,816,616 times
Quote:

We have enough serious issues facing the country without fighting Roe V Wade all over again. For the record, I am against abortion, but I don't think it is the Federal government's job to dictate how many children a woman should have.

As a Christian, I believe that's between the "mother" and God...and while I may not approve, I believe my God has asked me not to judge others. Ron Paul has a few good ideas, but he's totally lost me on the abortion issue.
He's just doing it the pander to the republicans for votes. If he actually ran as a true libertarian, he most likely would have never been in office at all.

Otherwise he wants to overturn Roe v. Wade to give the states the power to choose how they want to address the issue. Paul does not want to ban abortion at the federal level.
It is in a way a backdoor way of banning abortion, but like most everything Paul and libertarians stand for, he wants to leave it to the states to make their own laws

Old 01-02-2012, 05:51 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,295,442 times
Quote:
Ron Paul doesn't want the government regulating businesses.

Individual rights are a completely different matter.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:53 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,812,801 times
Quote:

HUH???!

So you are against abortion, but don't want the federal government to police it, and then riles against Paul for having the exact same position on this issue?

Are you getting Gary's newsletters? He is asking all supporters to vote for Paul in the GOP primaries.

Quote:
GOVERNOR GARY JOHNSON TO IOWA SUPPORTERS: VOTE FOR RON PAUL IN THE CAUCUSES

December 31, 2011, Santa Fe, NM -- Former New Mexico Governor released the following statement today regarding next week’s Iowa Caucuses:

“Wednesday, December 28, I announced that I am seeking the Libertarian nomination for president. Accordingly, I urge my supporters in Iowa to vote for Dr. Ron Paul in the upcoming Iowa Presidential Caucuses.

“While Ron Paul and I are both libertarians, we don't necessarily agree on every single issue. However, on the over-riding issues of restoring our economy by cutting out-of-control spending and the need to get back to Constitutional principles in our government, Ron Paul and I are in lock-step. Indeed, I proudly endorsed Ron Paul for President in 2008.

“The cause of individual liberty and freedom is bigger and more important than any candidate or campaign. I am hopeful that in urging my supporters in Iowa to vote for Ron Paul in the upcoming Caucuses, a victory for the principles we share can be won.”

December 31, 2011, Santa Fe, NM -- Former New Mexico Governor released the following statement today regarding next week’s Iowa Caucuses:

“Wednesday, December 28, I announced that I am seeking the Libertarian nomination for president. Accordingly, I urge my supporters in Iowa to vote for Dr. Ron Paul in the upcoming Iowa Presidential Caucuses.

“While Ron Paul and I are both libertarians, we don't necessarily agree on every single issue. However, on the over-riding issues of restoring our economy by cutting out-of-control spending and the need to get back to Constitutional principles in our government, Ron Paul and I are in lock-step. Indeed, I proudly endorsed Ron Paul for President in 2008.

“The cause of individual liberty and freedom is bigger and more important than any candidate or campaign. I am hopeful that in urging my supporters in Iowa to vote for Ron Paul in the upcoming Caucuses, a victory for the principles we share can be won.”

Old 01-02-2012, 07:06 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
The fact is if Paul was pro-choice he would probably lose the primary when running for representative. Goldwater got whipped badly. Reagan figured out that you had to get social conservative along with classical liberals in order to win a election. Winning elections does matter.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:17 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,519,129 times
While I'm a Libertarian, I don't support any candidate at this time. Paul and Johnson might get more of my attention as time passes, but so far both of them are not the "type" of Libertarians I would probably vote for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies