Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 11:34 AM

1,364 posts, read 2,917,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
It doesn't work real well when you toss everything and everyone into one pile. I see both sides of LEO, the good and bad, the right and wrong...but to try to add fuel to this fire before knowing facts about what escalated this is trifling at best. Whenever someone young or old is killed, it is best practice and character to treat it with care and respect. Life is precious.
Many people's lives just changed drastically. With that said...someone did do something that they shouldn't have and that is what makes it so sticky. .
I have said many times that there are good and bad LEO. I have never lumped all LEO into one group no matter what some what to think. It's funny because my post didn't directly apply to the OP's post but some have jumped on it as if it was a slam against that certain incident. I was talking in general about LEO since it's been a hot topic issue lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 11:35 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Brandish a gun at police and get killed. Imagine that.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:35 AM

3,064 posts, read 2,639,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Agree with mathguy.

The 1st article and its headline is the issue as it is intended to communicate an intentional biased outrage to a casual reader scannng the headlines. It may also be considered a dramatic lead-in along the lines of 'man bites dog' until you realize the content supports the first intention.

A choice was made with the first sentence to describe the 'victim' as an eight grader vs a 15 year old.

"An eighth grade student who was shot at Cummings Middle School this morning has died,..."

An 8th grader is a innocent young child. An 8th grader is an innocent 'student' pursuing a dream while engaged in after school activities such as the debating club and the choir.

A 15 year old is a statistical young gang member used to commit murder before the age of adulthood to escape the full slap of justice. The highest proportion of gang recruits is something like 12 to 15 years of age. Brownsville is right on the border. What's happening on the border these days?

The author of the 1st article could have pretended to be a journalist and present a much more informative and unbiased perspective to avoid the very thing Mathguy was warning against.
If the kid turns out to have been an actual student at the school, I agree with the author's presentation. If he turns out to have been an outside intruder in the school, I would tend to agree with you.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:36 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
To me, engaged means he pulled his gun on the officers. Why else would they shoot him?? i know, i know.. but if your going to give anyone the benefit of the doubt, at least before the facts are released, you have to give it to the officers vs the kid with the gun.. IMO

Old 01-04-2012, 11:56 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
To me, engaged means he pulled his gun on the officers. Why else would they shoot him?? i know, i know.. but if your going to give anyone the benefit of the doubt, at least before the facts are released, you have to give it to the officers vs the kid with the gun.. IMO

"engaged" is a VERY broad term, by chatting here on this forum we are "engaging". (engaging in conversation)

Old 01-04-2012, 12:10 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
"engaged" is a VERY broad term, by chatting here on this forum we are "engaging". (engaging in conversation)
lol. Yeah, the cops shot a kid because he wanted to talk to them. You are always reaching for the damn stars with these topics. Wait for the facts so you look informed.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:17 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,730,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Well so far, it sounds like the only person that did something wrong was the kid. He didn't drop his weapon when told to and engaged the police. USUALLY, when you do these types of things, you get shot.

The kid became a crime statistic the second he brought the pistol onto school grounds.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:20 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
The kid became a crime statistic the second he brought the pistol onto school grounds.
Very true indeed!

Old 01-04-2012, 12:24 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
I agree with some here that say we more information before making a judgement and that the entire thing is sad for everyone, including the police officers, no one wants to shoot an 8th grader, or anyone else for that matter. If the kid did point the gun at the officers they did the only thing left open to them under the circumstances, they have every right to protect themselves, most of us would do the same thing if someone pointed a gun at us or our loved ones. If he did not then they should have tried something else, Taser or Pepper spray. Get all the facts before assuming anything.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:26 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Engaged in police terms usually implies pointing a weapon at them or actually firing or attempting to fire at them. Just so you know. I seriously doubt they shot him for talking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies