Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 02:38 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,324,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Sorry, these bizarro rationalizations you and phil are employing are completely FOS but typical mentalities disgracing America from within. I come from a family of cops, nurses and firemen. I'm a veteran myself. This incident is a disgrace to the uniform. Nothing about the authority society vested in them obliges society to worship them or affords them carte blanche for deadly force. The incident was reported to 911 properly. The evacuation of the school was a success. A SWAT team (properly outfitted) needed only corner this clearly disturbed kid in a room until he could collect his senses or fall asleep from emotional exhaustion. It's inevitable when a human being paints themselves into an intellectualized corner that their bodies will follow suit physically.

I attribute this man made disaster along with many other tragic stories of child abuse and murder to pernicious dysfunctions in Texan culture. I can think of few things more insufferable, antithetical to civilization and life itself, than men worshiping themselves. Incredulously you along with them blame children for the behavior they mimic in demented males. You're welcome to join them in that gated like minded community with the rest of your cohorts in this thread. It's the world you've earned and a world most sane Americans want no part of.
Is nothing in this country ever anyone's fault anymore? Is everything really society's fault? GEEZ!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 03:19 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I have a grandson who is 16, is 6'4' and weighs 260. He walked home from a friends house after school and he had traded some headphones and something else for a BBgun. He had on a backpack, carrying what appeared to be a rifle, walking along the roadside. Someone called the police and two cars approached him from opposite directions.....now, it was resolved without any problem. They even drove him home and sat in the driveway,talking to him for some time about his ROTC activities and wanting to join the military......they told his stepfather he seemed like a good kid....

Point being, and he said he got it, it appreared to possibly be a dangerous situation in this day and time. I think the officers handled it very well but, he offered no resistance and said he was surprised and scared when they told him to put down the gun and lay down on the ground......LOL>

That being said, a young police officer was recently shot to death here in our area when he tried to talk to a young group of males in a dicey area. He was from that area himself and felt he could talk with them. One shot and killed him. That 18 year old is now facing and probably will get the death penalty. I don't know the answers.

I am a gun owner and do not believe we should ban guns but, I hate the killing and young lives wasted.
I too own firearms. I take that responsibility seriously and would never abuse it as a means to menace or frighten the public. Children, teens, and some adults I've known haven't the capacity to take that responsibility seriously. Let's just call it mental impairment, some of which is temporary, other cases a permanent condition.

I'm happy to hear the success story of talented cops who handled your grandson with utmost professionalism. They deserve applause, and more cops could benefit from their discernment training. I'm sad to hear about the rookie in way over his head without a paddle. Same thing just happened to a park ranger murdered by a whacked out veteran out west. Seems to me she had more experience dealing with wild animals than mentally ill humans. Arming police with better information through improved training would go much further in preventing these tragedies.

In my own capacity in LE, there were cold hard facts of life that were part of my daily existence. Being a female in a uniform is like having a pork chop around your neck for the most malevolent perps. They perceived me by virtue of my gender to be the weak link in the crew and I knew in advance they'd aim for me first. The crew knew it too. That's why we had the advantage over them. My skills were grossly underestimated and while they fixated on me as bait, the other crew members were in a position to manage them obliquely. For less malevolent, I was a voice of reason de-escalating the violence talking your grandson out of jail. At no time could I afford to be oblivious to my surroundings or with whom I was dealing. That's the difference between that rookie cop, that mother of 2 park ranger, and myself.

I'm glad you brought up a positive example. Prevention and positive stories never get the attention they deserve in news cycles. It's too 'boring' for anyone to consider how many things went right today across USA.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Sorry but it is usually the anti-police conservatives who side with the victim. show me a liberal who is siding with the kid. I am mostly liberal and I believe the cops didn't have a choice.
And I'm telling you they did. Here's another example of dealing with something in proper measure:
David Orton gets 180 years for 4-hour standoff with thirteen cops that ended with ass shooting - Denver News - The Latest Word
A shot in the arse was what it took. Not annihilation. He is exactly where he belongs and the PD was not printing themselves out a license to be judge, jury and executioner. Job well done!

Old 01-06-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Is nothing in this country ever anyone's fault anymore? Is everything really society's fault? GEEZ!
Geez INDEED! WHO is the adult? Not the police. Not the parents. What excuses for scapegoating children for the lack of supervision, lack of upbringing, lack and more lack the adults in their lives are heaping upon them?

This is what your every man woman and child for themselves policies pans out to be, and still it's someone else's fault. It reeks to high heaven.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:32 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,512,585 times
Quote:
And I'm telling you they did. Here's another example of dealing with something in proper measure:
David Orton gets 180 years for 4-hour standoff with thirteen cops that ended with ass shooting - Denver News - The Latest Word
A shot in the arse was what it took. Not annihilation. He is exactly where he belongs and the PD was not printing themselves out a license to be judge, jury and executioner. Job well done!
Entirely different damn scenario. This happened in a home with what, two or three other people in it? Not in a school with hundreds or thousands of other kids. But by all means, risk another Columbine while we wait for SWAT or hostage negotiators to come after the kid had already threatened children and officers with the gun.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Geez INDEED! WHO is the adult? Not the police. Not the parents. What excuses for scapegoating children for the lack of supervision, lack of upbringing, lack and more lack the adults in their lives are heaping upon them?

This is what your every man woman and child for themselves policies pans out to be, and still it's someone else's fault. It reeks to high heaven.

You've gone way beyond a 15 year old waving a gun in a school hallway.
No one is to blame, everyone is to blame.

You can decry social injustice til the cows come home but America is today what it is. Gone are the days when they didn't even need cops in schools.
Now it's quite typical for lockdowns to occur because of suspected guns in the lower economic schools. It's also quite typical to be called out into the hall while the LE and the drug dogs do their thing in the class. And this is middle school where 12 year olds do peddle drugs.

Kids are no longer "just kids" and are capable of adult crimes. Just read your local blotter and see the ages.

And that area of Texas is especially bad with gangs and drugs being so close to the border.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:26 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
Rookie cop park ranger? She had a fair few years of experience as an officer before she was brutally murdered by a waste of life who got to take the easy way out of life.

It's tragic that this kid's life ended up the way it did, but why'd he bring a gun to school? Why did he threaten people with it? Why did he not drop it when the cops asked him to? If you have to take a shot, you're not going to try and pull some Jack Bauer stunt and shoot the gun out of the gunman's hands.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:08 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,633,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You've gone way beyond a 15 year old waving a gun in a school hallway.
No one is to blame, everyone is to blame.

You can decry social injustice til the cows come home but America is today what it is. Gone are the days when they didn't even need cops in schools.
Now it's quite typical for lockdowns to occur because of suspected guns in the lower economic schools. It's also quite typical to be called out into the hall while the LE and the drug dogs do their thing in the class. And this is middle school where 12 year olds do peddle drugs.

Kids are no longer "just kids" and are capable of adult crimes. Just read your local blotter and see the ages.

And that area of Texas is especially bad with gangs and drugs being so close to the border.
bolding is mine. This is so true. I feel so bad for this kid but I don't know that it would have ended any differently, given the circumstances and high emotion. I wish they could have taken more time with him, talked him down.......

Old 01-06-2012, 10:25 PM

774 posts, read 1,164,766 times
Quote:
Sorry, these bizarro rationalizations you and phil are employing are completely FOS but typical mentalities disgracing America from within. I come from a family of cops, nurses and firemen. I'm a veteran myself. This incident is a disgrace to the uniform. Nothing about the authority society vested in them obliges society to worship them or affords them carte blanche for deadly force. The incident was reported to 911 properly. The evacuation of the school was a success. A SWAT team (properly outfitted) needed only corner this clearly disturbed kid in a room until he could collect his senses or fall asleep from emotional exhaustion. It's inevitable when a human being paints themselves into an intellectualized corner that their bodies will follow suit physically.

I attribute this man made disaster along with many other tragic stories of child abuse and murder to pernicious dysfunctions in Texan culture. I can think of few things more insufferable, antithetical to civilization and life itself, than men worshiping themselves. Incredulously you along with them blame children for the behavior they mimic in demented males. You're welcome to join them in that gated like minded community with the rest of your cohorts in this thread. It's the world you've earned and a world most sane Americans want no part of.

Hmmm, let's see.
  • I am 15 years old
  • I have been seen at school with a gun
  • There is no evidence that the gun is not real
  • The police arrive and catch me with the gun in hand in the hallway
  • I refuse to follow their orders to drop the gun.
  • I have been overheard today making threats about killing people
  • ================================================== ========
  • ================================================== ========
  • I am a police officer
  • I am responding to a "student carrying a gun" call
  • I see the kid with what has all the appearances of a real gun
  • I know that a gun is a deadly weapon
  • I and my fellow officers repeatedly tell him to drop the gun
  • I have been told that the kid has hit a kid for no apparent reason and has been heard saying that he is going to kill people today
  • The kid refuses to comply
Since you don't seem to be able to connect the dots, maybe you can answer a few questions about your proposed solution:
  1. Where is the carte blanche on deadly force? This was police officers faced with a teenager in the hallway of an occupied school with, for all intents and purposes, a loaded firearm.
  2. Given that we have a teenager in a hallway with a gun, exactly how does SWAT corner him in a classroom and wait for him to pass out from exhaustion???
  3. When was the psychological profile completed and given to the police? They have no way of knowing whether this kid is mentally distrubed, on drugs, or just plain mad at the world.
  4. What exactly are the pernicious dysfunctions of Texan culture? For that matter, what, according to you, is Texan culture?

Old 01-07-2012, 09:25 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
[quote=Evenstar51;22424768]Good kids can be troubled, too.

After Texas school shooting, many questions loom - Yahoo! News

Quote:
Making it especially hard: It remains unclear to his parents and investigators why Jaime — a drum major who danced in his church's annual religious festival, stayed out of gangs and had two parents who closely watched him — could swerve off course and bring a weapon to school. The weapon, police later determined, was a pellet gun. [end quote]
Oh please. Dancing in some church's ceremony does not mean someone isn't inclined to gang participation and gang violence.

Religious symbols are often found with the Mexican cartel criminals, and the Mafia thugs are known to belong to a church and even show up at religiious ceremonies.

It wasn't any American or American Catholic religious ceremony - it was a Mexican religious celebration. Dec 12 means nothing to Americans - that would be Dec 8.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies