Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 12:58 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,259,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
What I am saying is a recess appointment is something virtually every President has done. If it was actually an impeachable offense, basically every President in our history would have been impeached over it. It doesn't suddenly become an impeachable offense because you don't like Obama.
It does when technically the Senate was not recessed when he did it. Talk about giving the finger to someone I think that is just what The Won did when he just went ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Don't Republicans get tired of always being on the wrong side of the issues? You impeached Clinton... that's all you are good at, ruining other people's good reputations with your over-reactions and lies. Wasn't Monica Lewinsky a Republican? There was nothing illegal done... Congress ended their session. Stop being Republican and uninformed. The session lasted 30 seconds and then the few people that bothered to attend went home. That's what your elected officials do. Please, you people really need to stop being so fire-brand... get a hold of yourselves. Shouldn't you be more worried about the DNAA... I mean, it basically authorizes every president after Obama to have their way with arresting and detaining American citizens. The Patriot Act? Common people, stop being so partisan and open your eyes. Stop trying to impeach presidents for stupid crap, Bush actually committed atrocities and lied about Iraq. Why are you people such sheep to the Fox?
I think it may be past time for someone with the name you use here to get up to speed about Clinton's impeachment. He was not impeached for what he did with Lewinsky but for what he did in the case brought by Paula Jones against him in which he just stepped right up and lied in the court. I know that all of you people want Lewinsky to be involved in the impeachment but she was not at all. Google Paula Jones and see what you learn about her and Bubba Clinton.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
The Obama isn't about to let Congress
or the Constitution get in his way.
He just needs to be voted out.
Impeachment talk is just silly.
Then what do we get, President BiteMe?
You just said what I fear most since I am sure that Joe "foot in mouth" Biden doesn't know a lot about the Constitution, either.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
The Senate currently has no intention of finding Obama guilty of anything, irrespective of what he does. Your new dictator could commit first degree murder with a dozen witnesses and his minions in the Senate would not convict him. Right, wrong and the rule of law make no difference. What he has done this time is probably not an impeachable offense, but he has committed one and it is being swept under the carpet and will never see the light of day. Why? Because the Senate under Harry Reid is corrupt.
Very well said but you do know, I hope, that any impeachment proceedings have to originate in the House. Then the Senate sits as a court and has a trial of the accused. Impeachment is nothing more than accusation.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
No, but the CFPB and the NLRB can now do their jobs.
Do their jobs? Hmmmm, that would depend on what The Won wants done as to how they do their jobs. The NLRB bashed the Constitution when they did their trick to Boeing. I bet they try it again any minute now.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:25 PM

59,014 posts, read 27,284,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
According to Bush's own "constitutional" lawyers, he had the power and the authority to do so. If he chose not to singly because he was already at the lowest polling point in any Presidential history and that his administration, economy and country was starting to fall to pieces around him, was his call.

At the time Reid brokered this deal Bush had made 171 recess appointments, Obama has made 32 (including the 4 most recent). As in the letter sent to House Majority Leader Boehner:

There is NO CONSTITUTIONAL restriction upon the President to refrain from recess appointments, and it seems has been grown out of a negotiation between Byrd and Reagan in the 80's. And this clearly shows the Republican's path of obstructionism, despite the evidence of clear and transparent transgression as they claim.
Some people NEVER get it. RECESS APPOINTMENTS ARE LEGAL. Anyone with a brain will NOT argue that point.

That is NOT the issue. PRO FORMA IS the issue.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:38 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,830,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
So you favor impeaching basically every single President??
smash, i dont always agree with you, but in this case

impeachment is reserved for high crimes and misdemeanors. clinton committing perjury during a deposition, for instance, is a reason to impeach a president.

if we start impeaching presidents because one party doesnt like what they are doing, then we open up a can of worms that may NEVER be closed again. imagine that every president going through impeachment proceedings every year of their tenure in office.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:45 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,220,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Again, schoolyard BS.

It's no wonder this country is racing to the bottom. Government has convinced retards to be mad at THIS rather than the concept of recess appointments in general.

Why don't you just say that if a politician touches a flag lapel pin once every morning, that means he showed up for work that day and there's no recess? It's the same stupid BS. You guys want to get all tied up in knots over stupid little maneuvers that make the world roll its eyes and ignore the real problems. I swear, why don't you all just go sit in class with your 3rd graders, you play the same games. And this goes for both sides of the aisles, since I think the Democrats did this a few years back, too.

You're like those morons I always come across when I'm in Vegas that think they're being so funny and clever when they tell me what it is they do for a living, and then go "welp, talked business, can write this off on my taxes now!" I mean really, these are supposedly grown adults. Act like them.
Senate was not in recess according to the constitution

Old 01-07-2012, 05:29 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,092,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Some people NEVER get it. RECESS APPOINTMENTS ARE LEGAL. Anyone with a brain will NOT argue that point.

That is NOT the issue. PRO FORMA IS the issue.

And apparently being in a 'pro forma' status not acting or fulfilling their constitutional requirements, defaults the Senate into defacto recess. Being 'Strict Constitutionalists' I'm sure the Republicans see that.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:31 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,092,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Senate was not in recess according to the constitution
According to the CONSTITUTION...Senate was indeed in recess if they can't fulfill their CONSTITUTIONAL obligations.

President Obama was not dumb about this. He appointed ONLY the positions that required themselves to be filled in order to govern and enforce the agencies charter, per Federalist papers and the Constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies