Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 05:47 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,448,181 times

Advertisements

Troy Mayor Tells High School GSA Students Being Gay Is A Mental Disease | The New Civil Rights Movement

I dunno.

She's got a right to her opinion.

It just proves that having a gay/straight alliance in a school opens the door for people with opposing opinions to share them.

What's wrong with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 05:51 PM

674 posts, read 698,286 times
Not too long ago in American society homosexuality was widely thought to be a mental illness. Homosexuality probably would be classified as a mental disease if a drug company could manufacture a drug to make a profit off of it.....just like "bipolarity", "depression", and other "diseases" that only exist in countries where people have enormous disposable income.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahomeyAhosi View Post
Not too long ago in American society homosexuality was widely thought to be a mental illness. Homosexuality probably would be classified as a mental disease if a drug company could manufacture a drug to make a profit off of it.....just like "bipolarity", "depression", and other "diseases" that only exist in countries where people have enormous disposable income.
Are you claiming that mental illness doesn't occur in other societies around the world that don't have disposable incomes?

The only reason why it was taken off the DSM list is because a group of homosexuals lobbied the annual meeting of the APA to remove it - rather militantly.

Not to mention there wasn't a full voting body of the APA to approve or deny it... so majority won... and there wasn't very much of a majority.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Are you claiming that mental illness doesn't occur in other societies around the world that don't have disposable incomes?

The only reason why it was taken off the DSM list is because a group of homosexuals lobbied the annual meeting of the APA to remove it - rather militantly.

Not to mention there wasn't a full voting body of the APA to approve or deny it... so majority won... and there wasn't very much of a majority.
Yes so the definitions are arbitrary...like much in Western psychology.

When speaking of disposable income I am not saying mental illness doesn't occur. I'm saying new "diseases" are not fabricated to suit a drug market because there is no market for the drug without disposable income. Restless leg syndrome would also not fly.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahomeyAhosi View Post
Yes so the definitions are arbitrary...like much in Western psychology.

When speaking of disposable income I am not saying mental illness doesn't occur. I'm saying new "diseases" are not fabricated to suit a drug market because there is no market for the drug without disposable income. Restless leg syndrome would also not fly.
Restless leg syndrome?

You have a background in medicine to make that determination?

Old 01-10-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Restless leg syndrome?

You have a background in medicine to make that determination?
Nope I'm just a West African who knows how much Westerners will pay for something if someone credentialed tells them it's a disease. No medical background necessary.....however here's a great book I read years after having discussions about this nonsense with other Africans.

Amazon.com: Crazy Like Us: The Globalization of the American Psyche (9781416587088): Ethan Watters: Books

Old 01-10-2012, 06:05 PM

Basically the Troy mayor is a nut.

She's made other claims in the past when she should have kept her mouth shut.

I still think she's got a right to believe as she does.

She didn't actually say anything wrong - the article even says that it was "implied" by her but not directly said by her.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:25 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,302,536 times
Gosh dont tell them this. They will try to collect even more benefits using this idea.

Having a chemical problem in the brain that makes a man crave another man is a disease or a problem but calling it mental gives them another angle to abuse.

Then again, you would have to be mental to want to kiss and have sex with someone of the same sex.

I saw two freaks french kissing recently at Disney world and ab

Old 01-10-2012, 08:39 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,619,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
Gosh dont tell them this. They will try to collect even more benefits using this idea.

Having a chemical problem in the brain that makes a man crave another man is a disease or a problem but calling it mental gives them another angle to abuse.

Then again, you would have to be mental to want to kiss and have sex with someone of the same sex.

I saw two freaks french kissing recently at Disney world and ab
And a woman craving another woman? Oh wait...that's 'hot' so it's perfectly okay, right? Why is is that people always focus on male/male relationships when it comes to being gay?

I know quite a few gay people and they feel the same aversion to kissing and having sex with the 'opposite' sex as you do with the same sex. You can't force them to be attracted to who you want them to and they won't go away. What do you suggest be done?

Old 01-10-2012, 08:47 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,207,927 times
Quote:
I guess that's like the legions of Africans who believe that having sex with a virgin will remove HIV from their body.

Oh well.... I suppose one American's happy pill is just as good as any virgin in Africa.

Focus Aids: The myth that sex with a virgin can cure HIV - Life & Style - The Independent

Or maybe it's more on par with those who harvest the body parts of albinos for their pseudo-medical/shamanistic rituals.

ALBINOS AS ENDANGERED SPECIES

I'd rather pop a pill for my restless leg syndrome instead of using an albino body part any day of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies