Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you join the Army for 20,000 dollars?
Yes 6 24.00%
No 19 76.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 11:37 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,917,879 times

Advertisements

they definetely deserve a raise... but you're talking to someone who also isn't allowed to serve in the military unless I choose to closet myself... and I could never become a republican... unless I did the same as well...
so if its a legitimate war... why isn't it extended to ALL so that all of us could participate and serve our country without predjudice? Not everyone in the military is predjudice mind u.. and that is not what I'm saying... so for the people that serve I have the upmost respect for because they are uneffected by the discrimination and honestly serve their country.... but the institution itself is predjudice.. and therefore I lack respect for it.. and whoever calls the shots in making it this way...
All opinions have a base for them being formed.. and when you understand them, sometimes it shines light on the issue and people that typically get demonized as unpatriotic and un-american don't seem so out of line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 11:47 PM

211 posts, read 985,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
20,000 dollars will pay for your funeral when you return in a coffin...
When our nation is fighting a legitimate war, that is for the salvation of our planet and humanity.. then opinions might change, but so long as we keep fighting wars with hidden agenda's you're asking someone how much their life is worth to them... 20,000 dollars cannot buy a human life... sadly though for many in our country who live in desperate poverty it is their only option and the military is glad to sign them up.... its wrong...
having said that, I do not discredit anyone who is serving in the military, because it is their choice, and they may believe in the cause.. and that is totally fine, they are representing our nation and doing their duty nonetheless.. I cannot take anything away from that fact.. but when you ask me or anyone else and single our opinions out.. then we will be truthful and forthcoming of reasons and explainations.. does not mean it is unpatriotic at all... it means its a choice.. and making any choice is patriotic in itself...
as much as I hate this adminstration and hate what this country has come to, I have to admit, there is a part of me that is thinking of joining, I joined about 7 years ago but it didnt work out at the time, if I didnt have my dog, I would probably join again, just look for the least combat role job

Someone said around 2004 that Bush wouldnt institute a draft, he will just make a society where joining the military is the only option, it looks like they were right

Old 09-05-2007, 02:22 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,426,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Thousands of Americans Choose Army for $20,000 Signing Bonus

LEXINGTON, S.C. — Bored with life on his family's South Carolina horse farm, Willard McCormick decided that military service was the right plan for his future. And when the Army dangled its new, $20,000 recruiting bonus in front of him, the decision got a lot easier.

"I wasn't going to go right away, but I heard about the bonus and decided to jump on it," McCormick, 19, said a couple of days after signing up.

The new bonus comes with a "Quick Ship" provision that cuts the average 40-day wait time between sign-up and departure for basic training.

McCormick, who leaves for basic and infantry training at Fort Benning, Ga., on Sept. 6., said the accelerated departure doesn't bother him or his family.

"My three brothers are ready for me to go," he said with a smile.

FOXNews.com - Thousands of Americans Choose Army for $20,000 Signing Bonus - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
When are you going to spend the 20,000 if you are in Iraq?

Old 09-05-2007, 07:26 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
I can't join... I'm gay..I'm not allowed

Nice post!! Isn't that funny - they are now reduced to offering big money for new recruits, letting in grandparents, high school droputs, gang members....but dearie me, gays need not apply.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:39 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,015 times
I know personally of somebody who joined for the signing bonus. Me, no. I wouldn't join the army period. I'm going Air Force out of choice. The job code I'm going in with is "Airborne Cryptologic Linguist," but in plain American: "Translator who gets to ride in the air." And my focus is going to be Eastern Languages such as Korean, Chinese, and Japanese (due to years of previous learnings).

For this position, you actually get a bonus on each check for EACH language you are knowledgable in (there's a test).

Personally, I think everyone in America should put their 4 years in... Yes, I know we're in war... but that's the risk you take by joining the Armed Forces.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:03 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,245 times
Nope don't need the money. But would join again if needed. Just a warrior "spirit" I guess. But have served my time, and they need the young ones who can shoot straight and run fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies