Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 10:11 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,385,239 times

Advertisements

Obama administration to reject Keystone pipeline. Will he flip after the elections? Will the job loss affect his standing? He's a devious little feller ain't he.

- The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 10:15 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
I think he may "flip" before the elections if the application is resubmitted like it says in the article you posted:

Quote:
The Obama administration will announce this afternoon it is rejecting a Canadian firm’s application for a permit to build and operate a massive oil pipeline across the U.S.-Canada border, according to sources who have been briefed on the matter.

However the administration will allow TransCanada to reapply after it develops an alternate route through the sensitive habitat of Nebraska’s Sandhills. Deputy Secretary of State William J. Burns will make the announcement, which comes in response to a congressionally-mandated deadline of Feb. 21 for action on the proposed Keystone pipeline

Old 01-18-2012, 10:33 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times
The administration said that they're not going to approve the pipe through the Sand Hills, but they'll look at a plan to move it to a safer location when that plan is completed.

I wouldn't jump too far on this one. I'm a native Nebraskan and a R. The R's in Nebraska are the ones who led the fight to move the pipe out of the Sand Hills because of the danger to our drinking and irrigation water supply--there is no pipe currently running through that area, and it never should have been proposed to begin with. When the R's in Congress pushed to get Obama to make a decision on the pipe within two months it was pure politics, and it may backfire on them. Nebraska (solid red state) has to approve the plan as well, and it's not going to happen until months from now when they have the environmental impact statement completed for moving the pipe. Obama can't approve the old plan through the Sand Hills, because the state of Nebraska won't. It makes the Congressional R's who pushed for the vote look really stupid, because other Rs are the ones demanding the delay. Talk about dumb and dumber--we need to ship some R's from out here to Washington to inject a little bit of common sense. I have never been as frustrated with the party as I am right now.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:53 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
Default Keystone a nogo?

Seems the Admin is about to say no to the GOP's Ransom demand.

NBC Politics - Obama set to reject Keystone oil pipeline

Old 01-18-2012, 11:02 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,634,684 times
Default President to say NO to Pipeline

Fox News - Breaking News Updates | Latest News Headlines | Photos & News Videos what an idiot ! The pipeline is valid but should be rerouted. My objection originally was that the owners told the landowners that they were taking their land and they might as well get used to it. Arrogant bas tards !

Old 01-18-2012, 11:05 AM

45,584 posts, read 27,203,264 times
He's not an idiot. He was never going to approve this.

He dragged this out in order to collect money from lobbyists on both sides of the issue for as long as possible.

The jobs lost will not appear on anyone's unemployment report.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:08 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Fox News - Breaking News Updates | Latest News Headlines | Photos & News Videos what an idiot ! The pipeline is valid but should be rerouted. My objection originally was that the owners told the landowners that they were taking their land and they might as well get used to it. Arrogant bas tards !
"An industry insider says...."

Call me when they have real news.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:09 AM

737 posts, read 1,149,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Sometimes land has to be taken. The interstate highway system is an example. "Greater good" beats "no one is going to tell me what to do."

The pipeline doesn't fit Obama's agenda. The line "perpetuates America's addiction to oil" seems to show that.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:12 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
Sometimes land has to be taken. The interstate highway system is an example. "Greater good" beats "no one is going to tell me what to do."

The pipeline doesn't fit Obama's agenda. The line "perpetuates America's addiction to oil" seems to show that.
Yet Obama would rather have us dependent upon oil from the Middle East region than our bordering ally Canada?

No, his intent is to destroy the nation sinking us further into economic recession/depression as the tax of inflation at the gas pump sucks the wealth from the middle class.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:20 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,634,684 times
I think he is acting like a petulant child. A reroute can be found. What is so wrong with that ? Must we wreck everything in the world that has a natural but profound value just for the sake of money, money, money ? Solutions could/can be found. Why is it an either or proposition ? The pipeline could go through with concessions on both sides but it isn't being played that way with our President.

the person that said this wasn't credible because it was on Fox is not very bright, JMO. Rush is talking about it, other venues, as well. Open your brain and let some knowledge in that doesn't come from MSNBC.

If someone came on my property and told me to "get over it, it is a done deal in Washington" I would be pis sed, too. And, that was said. Come on, you property owners would feel the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies