Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 07:33 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,473,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Scates View Post
It's way easier being poor and not doing anything and get everything for free than actually working for a living.
Are you speaking from experience or are you projecting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 07:43 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,425,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
West Kentucky Star - Featured News (http://www.westkentuckystar.com/Featured-News/Paducah-Habitat-Home-First-with-Solar-Technology - broken link)

I can see both sides of this and I do agree with one of the comments. I wish I got my home for a really low price with solar power.

This country is odd. If you are wealthy, you get tons of things. If you are poor, you get tons of things handed to you. In the middle??? Screwed. If you are poor in this country, you can qualify for:

Free or low-cost housing
Free or low-cost internet service
Free or low-cost cell phone service
Free or low-cost home phone
Free food (food stamps/SNAP)
Help to pay your utilities
Free clothing
Free gifts at Christmas
Medicaid
Free school lunches
Free school supplies
No school fee's
Free fans in the summer
Free heaters in the winter
Free money (SSI)
No taxes

There's probably more that I can't think of off hand. In a lot of ways, it seems the poor in this country can thrive better than the middle-class.
I'd like you to post examples of the program that provides the services you have listed, and the requirements one must meet every time you apply for them.

Are there any lifetime maximums, like with welfare (5 years, no exception).

To get unemployment you had to work. To get social security you had to pay in and work. And you pay taxes on every dollar you spend, regardless of how you "obtained" it.

For most people, there is a social stigma that goes along with living on these programs, and most people can't just stay on them without working or trying to find work. For instance, most people who draw food stamps, work.

I think that if you try and actually do as I requested above, and post all of the who's, when's, hows, and whys, you'll discover that there isn't as much spending on free loaders as you'd think.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:52 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,709,601 times
I think a lot of people game the system but there's no way I'd rather be poor and living off the government teat. I mean what the hell would my life even mean at that point? I wouldn't be contributing to society at all. And no I'm not saying all poor people don't contribute, I'm saying that so-called "welfare queens" don't.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:50 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,910,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Exactly how do rich people "get things"?
Look up the definition of comps.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:56 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,267,941 times
Quote:
Get rid of low cost housing ghettos, get rid of food stamps, remove welfare altogether, end social security, and medicaid. The poor have got it way too easy. The rich and middle class are the people busting their butts everyday. The lazy are poor and worthless. Welfare and other freebies make them even more lazy.
If you lose your job and need food, you'll apply for food stamps. If you need money, you'll apply for welfare. When you're 65, you WILL apply for SS. If you get hurt in the interim and can't work, you're going to apply for SSI. You'll take subsidized housing too if you ever need it.

I love how some of you just finished reading some book about "pulling up your bootstraps" and afterwards, you come here spewing nonsense that even YOU don't believe.

You're trying too hard dude. Seriously...you're not the rugged individualist that you pretend to be.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:59 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,233,863 times
Quote:
West Kentucky Star - Featured News (http://www.westkentuckystar.com/Featured-News/Paducah-Habitat-Home-First-with-Solar-Technology - broken link)

I can see both sides of this and I do agree with one of the comments. I wish I got my home for a really low price with solar power.

This country is odd. If you are wealthy, you get tons of things. If you are poor, you get tons of things handed to you. In the middle??? Screwed. If you are poor in this country, you can qualify for:

Free or low-cost housing
Free or low-cost internet service
Free or low-cost cell phone service
Free or low-cost home phone
Free food (food stamps/SNAP)
Help to pay your utilities
Free clothing
Free gifts at Christmas
Medicaid
Free school lunches
Free school supplies
No school fee's
Free fans in the summer
Free heaters in the winter
Free money (SSI)
No taxes

There's probably more that I can't think of off hand. In a lot of ways, it seems the poor in this country can thrive better than the middle-class.
I would rather be in the middle than poor any day.
You can keep your little "hand outs". It's not going to compare to the standard of living I enjoy now. The list you mention are such basic things. Tell me you are giving away houses, brand new cars, vacations, and things of the sort, then I might change my mind.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:06 PM

18,143 posts, read 25,340,169 times
Quote:
It is easier to be poor in a 3rd World country than in the US.

In a 3rd World country, you can grab an "abandoned" piece of land and build a house that doesn't meet any regulation without any problem.
Try doing that in the US, and you'll end up in jail.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:17 PM

521 posts, read 468,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
If you lose your job and need food, you'll apply for food stamps. If you need money, you'll apply for welfare. When you're 65, you WILL apply for SS. If you get hurt in the interim and can't work, you're going to apply for SSI. You'll take subsidized housing too if you ever need it.

I love how some of you just finished reading some book about "pulling up your bootstraps" and afterwards, you come here spewing nonsense that even YOU don't believe.

You're trying too hard dude. Seriously...you're not the rugged individualist that you pretend to be.
If I ever lose my job I'll more than enough savings to last me a couple years but I'll find another job before it will ever come to it. I'll never need the measly amount that SS gives me when I retire. I'll have more than enough money by then. SSI? I'll never get hurt at the job I'm at.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:52 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,386,475 times
Quote:
If I ever lose my job I'll more than enough savings to last me a couple years but I'll find another job before it will ever come to it. I'll never need the measly amount that SS gives me when I retire. I'll have more than enough money by then. SSI? I'll never get hurt at the job I'm at.
^^^ Wolf cookies.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:21 AM

742 posts, read 679,553 times
Whose to say these "free things" are of good quality.
I learnt a few things during my community service as a homeless counselor...

Free or low-cost housing----little choice where to live or who to live by, slum lords
Free or low-cost internet service------dial up???? LOL
Free or low-cost cell phone service-----hmm havn't heard of this.
Free or low-cost home phone-----Isn't much lower than or better than basic service...in some places
Free food (food stamps/SNAP)----I never got why people call the stamp food free??? When you're below poverty and cannot afford the food otherwise it is a BENEFIT to help you saying free makes it sound like they begged for it when they didn't need it.
Help to pay your utilities-----Long lists, sometimes they don't get paid on time.
Free clothing-----Few clothing banks exist now days and few food banks offer it. Mostly banks that set people up for work. Choices are limited... clothes may be torn, tattered, carry bugs...
Free gifts at Christmas----------for children in need. Who the hell would deney a child X-Mas gifts?!
Medicaid---------------Medicaid is being cut very badly across the US. Many disabled people are committing suicide.
Free school lunches---------Again who would deny a child something*...
Free school supplies----------*
No school fee's*
Free fans in the summer--------Can they afford these otherwise?*
Free heaters in the winter*
Free money (SSI) Can a person with Down's Syndrome or in a wheelchair with MS work a full time job or numerous jobs to pay bills????!!!!
No taxes----Not always true.

Being below poverty level blows. Ask any (truthful)poor family!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies