Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2012, 04:52 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times

Advertisements

Yep, when heavy majorities of people vote for something those votes can be overturned so easily by courts with one judge on the bench. One or a few overturn the votes of millions. We are really getting someplace, but I don't know where. This is not aimed at Obamaaa but he is in on all of it.

Federal Appeals Court Tells Voters Their Votes Don

I recall a measure some years back where nearly 75% of voters in a southwestern state voted in favor of an English only bill. The bill was intended to save the state, county and city governments as well as employers thousands of dollars by not having to print everything in English and Spanish. It only took one liberal judge to declare the bill unconstitutional, thus telling the majority of the voters in that state that their votes didn’t matter.

Check the man's story about 70% of Oklahoma voters. Very interesting and sick, tool
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 05:12 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
A) Stop reading Godfather politics Roy, it's damaging your brain.

B) It's a long tradition to look to other courts for hundreds of years about legal decisions.

C) The court makes no distinction looking at laws that people consider "Sharia" and those that are not if enforced by a countries government. Any more then the court disregards US laws against murder because the Bible says "Thou shall not kill".

D) The belief that people even look at other countries laws, even if they are Muslim, will bring about an evil Atheist/Muslim (mutually exclusive terms, heh) dictatorship that will destroy America is batcrap insane. There is no support for it, and you can't have negative proof to say something doesn't exist or won't happen (like my invisible pink unicorn).

E) If a majority of people vote for something that violates the constitution, then the law is void no matter how many people agree with it. It's called argumentum ad populum...that just because something is popular, it is therefore true. A majority of people used to think those with brown/black skin, Jewish, Eastern Orthodox, Catholic, Irish, Polish, Germans, etc were inferior to Americans here before them...but it doesn't mean it is true. This logical fallacy is often used by children and cranks.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:50 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Yep, when heavy majorities of people vote for something those votes can be overturned so easily by courts with one judge on the bench. One or a few overturn the votes of millions. We are really getting someplace, but I don't know where. This is not aimed at Obamaaa but he is in on all of it.

Federal Appeals Court Tells Voters Their Votes Don

I recall a measure some years back where nearly 75% of voters in a southwestern state voted in favor of an English only bill. The bill was intended to save the state, county and city governments as well as employers thousands of dollars by not having to print everything in English and Spanish. It only took one liberal judge to declare the bill unconstitutional, thus telling the majority of the voters in that state that their votes didn’t matter.

Check the man's story about 70% of Oklahoma voters. Very interesting and sick, tool

The Constitution can't be re-written with a vote. There is a procedure for amending it. If folks don't want to accept that, they're left with two options:

1. Admit the Constitution supersedes their own desires or,

2. Revolute and write another one.

Good luck with #2.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:36 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
That ruling was unconstitutional. Any power not expressly granted to the federal government is expressly the power of the States or the people.

While the federal government cannot enact any laws relating to official languages, the States can, and the people of each State are free to determine which languages they recognize as official, and which ones they don't.

Constitutionally....

Mircea

Old 01-13-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That ruling was unconstitutional. Any power not expressly granted to the federal government is expressly the power of the States or the people.

While the federal government cannot enact any laws relating to official languages, the States can, and the people of each State are free to determine which languages they recognize as official, and which ones they don't.

Constitutionally....

Mircea
That legal language law pertained to States Rights from Amendment 10 and sure enough the liberal judge who made that ruling was wrong. I don't know where in the court system this one is but it should be somewhere. I think there is a possibility that this had to go to a district court in the 9th Judicial Circuit and certainly they would have ruled against it so the Supreme Court would have to rule on it.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
A) Stop reading Godfather politics Roy, it's damaging your brain.

B) It's a long tradition to look to other courts for hundreds of years about legal decisions.

C) The court makes no distinction looking at laws that people consider "Sharia" and those that are not if enforced by a countries government. Any more then the court disregards US laws against murder because the Bible says "Thou shall not kill".

D) The belief that people even look at other countries laws, even if they are Muslim, will bring about an evil Atheist/Muslim (mutually exclusive terms, heh) dictatorship that will destroy America is batcrap insane. There is no support for it, and you can't have negative proof to say something doesn't exist or won't happen (like my invisible pink unicorn).

E) If a majority of people vote for something that violates the constitution, then the law is void no matter how many people agree with it. It's called argumentum ad populum...that just because something is popular, it is therefore true. A majority of people used to think those with brown/black skin, Jewish, Eastern Orthodox, Catholic, Irish, Polish, Germans, etc were inferior to Americans here before them...but it doesn't mean it is true. This logical fallacy is often used by children and cranks.
I know that many liberal loose constructionists in our court system have tried to use European law many times and more than a few they have done that in an attempt to kill off a part of the US Constitution that they don't like. How many hundreds of years have the been doing this? More than 2?

The people and the government of the UK allowed Muslims to sneak in and now they have been allowed to use Sharia in certain cases and it won't get better. Did you read the words about that Oklahoma attempt to keep Sharia from getting into their state or did you just take the words of Kos? I think we both know the answer to that one.

Your dislike of the Godfather and Beck tell me something about what we can expect in this country once enough of you people of the progressive bent get involved in our government. Our Constitution has taken a number of hits since this time 3 years ago and I don't think it will stop for at least one more year.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
The Constitution can't be re-written with a vote. There is a procedure for amending it. If folks don't want to accept that, they're left with two options:

1. Admit the Constitution supersedes their own desires or,

2. Revolute and write another one.

Good luck with #2.
The Constitution provides States with the right to govern in areas where the national government is not allowed to govern from the Constitution. There is nothing that says the States can't determine that they will not print anything in two languages and that attempt to stop that crap is pretty good to save them money. Try to find the part of the Constitution that allows the US to determine that states can't limit the legal language in their borders. I would appreciate it.

Why in hell would a state have to deal with the other 49 to determine that they don't have to print ballots in any language but English? Why would we need an Amendment to the Constitution to save money from printing all legal documents in more than one language? I don't believe I have ever read that part of the Constitution in the well over 30 times I have read the document.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies