Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the "social conservative" label an accurate label for the religious right?
Yes, the label fits. 5 25.00%
No, they are really social theocrats. 15 75.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 12:00 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
And there is nothing wrong with a single mother.
I don't think it's ideal for a child to be raised by a single parent.

Regardless, the type of policies the religious right supports do nothing to help reduce the number of children being raised in single parent homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Millions of abortions
The number of abortions has been going down for several decades.

Quote:
rampant violent crime?
The amount of violent crime has been going down for several decades.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:03 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
The amount of violent crime has been going down for several decades.
Well that depends when you start looking.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Well that depends when you start looking.
We're currently seeing the lowest level of violent crime in about 40 years.

So perhaps there was less violent crime in the 50's. But the 50's are still falsely assumed to have been this idyllic time when they really weren't. Economically, it was a great time. Socially, not so much.

Even if we all agreed that the period from 1950-1959 was the best time in American history, it would be impossible to replicate.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:23 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
Yes I know the trends.

Quote:
So perhaps there was less violent crime in the 50's. But the 50's are still falsely assumed to have been this idyllic time when they really weren't. Economically, it was a great time. Socially, not so much.

Even if we all agreed that the period from 1950-1959 was the best time in American history, it would be impossible to replicate.
Well define "socially" because I think in some areas we've vastly improved and in some the opposite. As far as replication goes, no, we would not, which is what I keep telling people when they try to reference the 50s in their arguments, although those discussions are usually economic.

Btw look up James Q Wilson about the crime trends, he has some interesting stuff to say.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:51 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Sub-servant woman, anti-gays, McCarthyism, etc.

And there is nothing wrong with a single mother.
I'll swap now for then.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:59 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
I don't think it's ideal for a child to be raised by a single parent.

Regardless, the type of policies the religious right supports do nothing to help reduce the number of children being raised in single parent homes.
The left "won" this argument with Roe v.Wade. By killing them before they're born, we'll end poverty. Worked well, huh?

Of all the arguments that disgust me from the left, that tops the list.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:07 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
Quote:

I think I read somewhere that our crime rates are at about the same as they were in 1960--50 years ago.

Quote:
The left "won" this argument with Roe v.Wade. By killing them before they're born, we'll end poverty. Worked well, huh?

And what disgusts me is the right's emphasis on saving the fetus but once the child's on its own, let the mother and the child sink or swim--starve if necessary. You guy may not advocate that outright, but the result of some of your policies will result in that.

Simply being against abortion doesn't make you "pro-life." BTW, I am a pro-life Christian who thinks Roe v. Wade was a horrible decision. I do part with the left on that issue.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Well define "socially" because I think in some areas we've vastly improved and in some the opposite. As far as replication goes, no, we would not, which is what I keep telling people when they try to reference the 50s in their arguments, although those discussions are usually economic.
Yes. I have participated in these discussions before as well. They have to do with manufacturing jobs primarily.

The economic and social situations of the 50's were dependent on one another actually.

When discussing social issues, I mean things like women not working and their husbands being in charge of them, few children being raised in single parent homes, drug and crime problems not being so rampant, and gays seeming to not exist.

Quote:
Btw look up James Q Wilson about the crime trends, he has some interesting stuff to say.
I will. Thanks.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 01-15-2012 at 10:27 AM..

Old 01-15-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:

You should look up the Roe effect.

I am certainly not on the "left." I do not like abortion but, to some degree, I think its the lesser of two evils in many cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies