Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 06:39 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I'm not "pretending" to know anything, this is statistical data that has been talked about here quite a bit. The horrible school system of MPS is a common discussion for local politics. If you really want to prove me wrong, feel free to go back and find the data (you won't find it, though). Until then, you need to take what I say at face value. If you don't believe me, you can also go to the Milwaukee subforum and search for yourself. It's been discussed time and time again. I already knew these facts so I went to find an article so you might actually believe me instead of just saying my stats are anecdotal. It's not my fault you'd rather not believe it even when I have the facts to back it up.

You don't know how long it's been the case that MPS spends more than the surrounding areas. The length of time is important as are other factors.

The point you are attempting to make is that because you read in the paper that in 2009 MPS spent more money than other school systems that proves that spending more money doesn't solve anything in in terms of educational outcomes, is an irrational conclusion to draw based on a limited amount of information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 06:53 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I never said being short and nerdy didn't have anything to do with it. In fact, I put that in there because it did play a role in me getting harassed and assaulted alot. I was harassed by kids of both races. It was mostly White kids who did it to me. Some of them were rednecks. Some of these kids didn't like Black kids. However, since I was considered an easier target, I was harassed and even assaulted. Actually, I even mentioned this on another thread. I was seen as the weak one, so I was subjected to more harassment and bullying. My own high school was kind of a hot bed for racial tension. I was even threatened a few times. A few kids said they were going to "lynch" me. One kid told me to "pick his cotton" before calling me the "n" word.

Bullying is a big problem in the schools. It doesn't just end there. It happens in the adult world too.

I've even been harassed a few times in my adult like. It was always some guy in a truck screaming something at me while driving by.

I did have problems with some of the Black kids. I was basically the "White" Black kid according to some of them. Some others who bullied me, I didn't know why.

Your son dropping out sounds alot like how I felt. Middle school and high school kind of turned me into depressed, and angry person. Even though I ran track and cross country, I still had problems with other students.

Anyway, I was sharing what happened to me in my youth because I got the idea people were saying that Whites never harass Blacks. My own experiences tell me otherwise.

I only wish there were more people to step up to defend the person against the bully. I know when I saw someone getting ganged up on in school I would defend them. I know how cruel kids can be especially when they are with friends .

I remember when I was a kid an old lady named Mrs. Grace who was very old was teased by the kids calling her a witch and such.. it was terrible. I became friends with Mrs Grace along with my brother . We told the kids we would report them if they did it again. She was such a sweet old woman but frail and very old as she shuffled down the street in our neighborhood.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:28 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,120,110 times
Anybody would be defensive and mad if they were always being told that they are ugly and inferior because of their race. I know I walk around mad and angry sometimes.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:33 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Anybody would be defensive and mad if they were always being told that they are ugly and inferior because of their race. I know I walk around mad and angry sometimes.
I'd be pissed too if "my people" dumped on me for something that ain't my fault.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:49 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I only wish there were more people to step up to defend the person against the bully. I know when I saw someone getting ganged up on in school I would defend them. I know how cruel kids can be especially when they are with friends .

I remember when I was a kid an old lady named Mrs. Grace who was very old was teased by the kids calling her a witch and such.. it was terrible. I became friends with Mrs Grace along with my brother . We told the kids we would report them if they did it again. She was such a sweet old woman but frail and very old as she shuffled down the street in our neighborhood.
There were people who stood up against the bullying. However, it didn't help if I was by myself somewhere. This is particularly when some of the bullies would do their worst stuff.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:51 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
I look at defensiveness from this perspective. Black people have basically been dumped on, made fun of, stereotyped, and subjected to so much criticism and hate. I think for this reason, many people will take any kind of criticism as an attack on Black people. This mentality comes from historically being on the receiving end of attacks.

Now it's a question of getting this out of one's psyche.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies