Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you join the Army for 20,000 dollars?
Yes 6 24.00%
No 19 76.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 10:28 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,581,822 times

Advertisements

Thousands of Americans Choose Army for $20,000 Signing Bonus

LEXINGTON, S.C. — Bored with life on his family's South Carolina horse farm, Willard McCormick decided that military service was the right plan for his future. And when the Army dangled its new, $20,000 recruiting bonus in front of him, the decision got a lot easier.

"I wasn't going to go right away, but I heard about the bonus and decided to jump on it," McCormick, 19, said a couple of days after signing up.

The new bonus comes with a "Quick Ship" provision that cuts the average 40-day wait time between sign-up and departure for basic training.

McCormick, who leaves for basic and infantry training at Fort Benning, Ga., on Sept. 6., said the accelerated departure doesn't bother him or his family.

"My three brothers are ready for me to go," he said with a smile.

FOXNews.com - Thousands of Americans Choose Army for $20,000 Signing Bonus - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 02:45 PM

753 posts, read 758,631 times
Today I wouldn't, not on your life.

Once upon I time I did 4 years ROTC and 6 years commissioned, and all that without a bonus. But now that our military as been pimped out to the highest corporate bidder, there ain't a bonus big enough to send me back.

I feel sorry for these kids getting suckered into enlisting.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:23 PM

211 posts, read 985,280 times
arent Republicans supposed to be about less government spending? Good thing Bush and friends rolled back taxes on the wealthy

What a joke America has turned into

Old 09-02-2007, 07:33 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,367 times
I joined for $78.00 a month and no sign on bonus...

Old 09-02-2007, 08:26 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,917,637 times
I can't join... I'm gay..I'm not allowed

Old 09-04-2007, 10:05 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,652,142 times
No I wouldn't join the military for $20,000 dollars.For the second time since I've been a member on city datas forum I filled in the wrong bubble,I accidentaly clicked Yes when I wanted to click No.No way would I join the military for $20,000 dollars.Yeah I'd get $20,000 dollars if I didn't die while fighting a war.This is what they'd have to pay me to join the military.They would have to make it so I wouldn't have to pay taxes,they'd have to buy me a $2,000,000 dollar house,they'd have to buy me my favorite cars,some of which cost more than $150,000 dollars,on top of all that they'd have to give me a job that pays $600,000 dollars or more a year.Actually,I don't even think I'd join to get all of that stuff either.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:46 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,388,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
No I wouldn't join the military for $20,000 dollars.For the second time since I've been a member on city datas forum I filled in the wrong bubble,I accidentaly clicked Yes when I wanted to click No.No way would I join the military for $20,000 dollars.Yeah I'd get $20,000 dollars if I didn't die while fighting a war.This is what they'd have to pay me to join the military.They would have to make it so I wouldn't have to pay taxes,they'd have to buy me a $2,000,000 dollar house,they'd have to buy me my favorite cars,some of which cost more than $150,000 dollars,on top of all that they'd have to give me a job that pays $600,000 dollars or more a year.Actually,I don't even think I'd join to get all of that stuff either.
ok let me change the question a bit with this scenerio.

The year is 2035.By certain conditions the president declares the constitution null and void.He declares he is president for life.He has gathered military strength,either domestic or by cough,outsourcing a force.

Protest and dissent forms across the country,violence spreads.Troops,rather mercenaries are brought against protesters,shots are fired people are dying.

A member of said administration approaches you and offers your terms listed above for loyalty.Otherwise you risk confiscation of all your assets,imprisonment,slander of your name and possible execution.

What is your reply to the messenger?

A-"Nuts!Give me liberty or give me death!"
or
B-"Show me da' money!"

Old 09-04-2007, 11:07 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,917,637 times
20,000 dollars will pay for your funeral when you return in a coffin...
When our nation is fighting a legitimate war, that is for the salvation of our planet and humanity.. then opinions might change, but so long as we keep fighting wars with hidden agenda's you're asking someone how much their life is worth to them... 20,000 dollars cannot buy a human life... sadly though for many in our country who live in desperate poverty it is their only option and the military is glad to sign them up.... its wrong...
having said that, I do not discredit anyone who is serving in the military, because it is their choice, and they may believe in the cause.. and that is totally fine, they are representing our nation and doing their duty nonetheless.. I cannot take anything away from that fact.. but when you ask me or anyone else and single our opinions out.. then we will be truthful and forthcoming of reasons and explainations.. does not mean it is unpatriotic at all... it means its a choice.. and making any choice is patriotic in itself...

Old 09-04-2007, 11:15 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
ok let me change the question a bit with this scenerio.

The year is 2035.By certain conditions the president declares the constitution null and void.He declares he is president for life.He has gathered military strength,either domestic or by cough,outsourcing a force.

Protest and dissent forms across the country,violence spreads.Troops,rather mercenaries are brought against protesters,shots are fired people are dying.

A member of said administration approaches you and offers your terms listed above for loyalty.Otherwise you risk confiscation of all your assets,imprisonment,slander of your name and possible execution.

What is your reply to the messenger?

A-"Nuts!Give me liberty or give me death!"
or
B-"Show me da' money!"
well done. everbody knows it cannt happen here.
biggest build up of police body i have seen in my own lifetime
the big one will be if we see an attempt to confiscate guns.
stephen s
san diego, ca

Old 09-04-2007, 11:21 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,388,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
20,000 dollars will pay for your funeral when you return in a coffin...
When our nation is fighting a legitimate war, that is for the salvation of our planet and humanity.. then opinions might change, but so long as we keep fighting wars with hidden agenda's you're asking someone how much their life is worth to them... 20,000 dollars cannot buy a human life... sadly though for many in our country who live in desperate poverty it is their only option and the military is glad to sign them up.... its wrong...
having said that, I do not discredit anyone who is serving in the military, because it is their choice, and they may believe in the cause.. and that is totally fine, they are representing our nation and doing their duty nonetheless.. I cannot take anything away from that fact.. but when you ask me or anyone else and single our opinions out.. then we will be truthful and forthcoming of reasons and explainations.. does not mean it is unpatriotic at all... it means its a choice.. and making any choice is patriotic in itself...

We are fighting a legitimate war in Afghanistan.You must also take into account the housing,medical and education costs are largely covered while in uniform.

That said I do think miltary folk deserve a raise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies