Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2012, 06:41 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,089,946 times

Advertisements

We don't need no stinkin jobs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 06:53 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,213,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Did you see the map of the US on the post that showed that although Nebraska has pipelines, at least one that belongs to that group, there is nothing in the west half of the state. Now I live in Kansas and we out west have to depend on the Ogallala Aquifer for our water, also. I was very much against this pipeline in November back when jojan's two links were published but it was late December when we learned that the path to be taken would soon be changed. Did you miss the part about the Nebraska governor backing down after the path was moved east? I have been for this one ever since the path was changed.

Last night I took part in a phone town hall with my Congressman in which he talked about the changed path. He lives right over the aquifer and is a farmer so he was also against this thing at first.

Yes, they do have a pipeline in both Nebraska and Kansas that goes into Oklahoma to a refinery there. Now there will be two although I am sure that we will have to wait for the election before we can begin work. The existing pipeline takes heavy crude from Canada but not the area that is being considered now. I don't think the company acted any more arrogantly than Obama has in his part. He agreed with the Congress to allow this thing to go through until he realized that February is too early for it all to take place.

Congressman Huelskamp told us last night that the Congress is trying to work out something that would take the decision out of the hands of the State Department since they are only involved because Canada is. I see at least enough proof to prove that Obama doesn't care at all about the jobs that could be had sooner than 10 months from now. He has decided that what will play with his political base is to do what he has done and that is going to lose him some votes next fall.

I think that you have been reading mostly what lefties said in this thread not anything from people like me or you may be looking at it differently.
Roy--I don't think the fellow from Canada was complaining about the pipe line--just commenting that Trans Canada was obnoxious, and that we have every right to be concerned about the aquifer and to push for a new route--that's exactly what we've done.

FYI--they can evidently go ahead and start work on other parts of the line without the permit. Obama didn't approve the permit, because the Nebraska portion is going to be changed dramatically--as you know, they're completely rerouting the line away from the Sand Hills--now the push is to make sure it's also routed away from the areas east of the Sand Hills that still have high ground water and are tied into the aquifer. When the Nebraska portion is completed, Obama can sign the whole thing, but the work isn't delayed in the meantime.

The state department has worked hand in hand with Trans Canada on this application from the beginning--they WANT it approved--so I'm sure Obama knew all about this plan before his announcement. As long as Trans Canada's work doesn't involve a federal permit--and starting the line down south evidently doesn't--then it doesn't involve Obama. It's not his decision to tell--it sounds like what Trans Canada does beyond the plan to cross international lines is between Trans Canada and each individual state.

I'm a republican, but I think this talk of bypassing Obama on this issue, etc. was just wild talk on the part of a bunch of tea party republicans who had no idea what was going on or what the truth was--I don't think they cared what the truth was--and who were looking for every way possible to spin this badly for Obama because of the elections. Once again, he's made them look like ranting idiots screaming that the sky is falling. Personally--I'm sick of it. The sooner the tea party republicans learn to shut their mouths and actually deal with facts--to go after REAL issues vs. turning every little thing into some kind of plot--the better off we'll be, because looking foolish is becoming a pattern with them. It's embarrassing, and it's hurting the party.

Last edited by mb1547; 01-19-2012 at 07:14 PM..

Old 01-19-2012, 07:28 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,911,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
A couple of random posts? There have been numerous posts, with links, showing how many people in Nebraska feel. The most vociferous proponents of the pipeline as currently planned, on this thread, do NOT live in Nebraska or anywhere near it.
Well,

(1) don't anyone proceed with that stupid argument of "oh well what if they built a pipeline around your house and aquifer" as we, as well as many others in the US, already have that situation, so just drop it. There's millions of miles of pipeline, yet people somehow miraculously survive.

(2) If we're so weak and afraid of some technology possibly maybe could be failing somehow so let's just not build it, despite the fact this has been happening for centuries, despite technology to mitigate leaks and yet we are somehow still here, then we deserve all the pain we get from relying on Middle East oil and letting a small group of people dictate how we live our lives, and no

(3) show me a poll or survey which shows a broad spectrum of Nebraska people opposing this. I don't give a rat's *** on forums, posts, or blogs. I can make up new accounts and spam them with my own views too.

(3) if some of you don't want a pipeline going through your state, fine. Just don't come back to this forum and then complain about gas being $10 / gallon and complain that someone is freezing to death because they could not afford the heating oil or inflation is eating away at your paycheck. Your precious aquifers and wetlands will be intact while we starve. We need to look at a slightly bigger picture here.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:19 PM

22,666 posts, read 24,632,000 times
Truly a wacky country.....makes Idiocracy looks like a Mensa documentary when compared to the Good Ole Usa.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbatca View Post
Well,

(1) don't anyone proceed with that stupid argument of "oh well what if they built a pipeline around your house and aquifer" as we, as well as many others in the US, already have that situation, so just drop it. There's millions of miles of pipeline, yet people somehow miraculously survive.

(2) If we're so weak and afraid of some technology possibly maybe could be failing somehow so let's just not build it, despite the fact this has been happening for centuries, despite technology to mitigate leaks and yet we are somehow still here, then we deserve all the pain we get from relying on Middle East oil and letting a small group of people dictate how we live our lives, and no

(3) show me a poll or survey which shows a broad spectrum of Nebraska people opposing this. I don't give a rat's *** on forums, posts, or blogs. I can make up new accounts and spam them with my own views too.

(3) if some of you don't want a pipeline going through your state, fine. Just don't come back to this forum and then complain about gas being $10 / gallon and complain that someone is freezing to death because they could not afford the heating oil or inflation is eating away at your paycheck. Your precious aquifers and wetlands will be intact while we starve. We need to look at a slightly bigger picture here.
You didn't direct this to me, but I'm going to respond. For heavens sake--can you READ I mean--seriously. Can't you try for just one minute to actually read the threads before you start ranting? If you don't trust what any of us are saying who live in the high plains region, you've been given a million links to credible news sources on this thread that you obviously haven't bothered to read either. If you're questioning anything here that's your problem, because you've been given plenty of back up documentation.

NO ONE said they don't want the pipe line going through Nebraska--just the route through the Sand Hills. The Sand Hills aren't some pretty little park that we're trying to protect--it's hundreds of feet deep sand dunes covered with prairie grass, where the water table of the Ogallala aquifer comes right up to the surface. The aquifer provides the drinking water for the entire state of Nebraska, and a good number of the surrounding states. The Sand Hills cover a huge area--most of the northern/western part of the state, and there's NO PIPE running through there now, because it would be so dangerous to put it there. The existing gas lines etc. in Nebraska all run through the south and the east, where there's a heavy clay layer between the topsoil and the aquifer that would protect it in the case of a leak. There's no protective clay/rock layer in the Sand Hills--a leak there would run right into our water supply. Would you like to drink the water that was surrounding the gulf oil spill? That's what we'd be dealing with here if there was a problem.

The only organized group of Nebraskans who didn't want to change the route were labor unions. If you want a poll of Nebraskans, then get off your lazy butt and look it up yourself--I even gave you the link earlier to the biggest state newspaper. I'm a Nebraskan--what I can tell you is that thousands of local people (not outside activists) turned up for hearings in counties that only have populations of several thousand to begin with. Just how big of an issue do you think it needs to be for a republican governor to go to the huge financial expense of calling a special session of the legislature in the fall just to deal with this issue, and for an almost entirely republican state legislature to pass and sign bills during that session that would push Trans Canada to reroute the line? Do you think they would do that in a republican state if there wasn't massive public out cry, or that they're dumb enough to do that if there's no support? Why on earth would REPUBLICANS--who are generally supportive of the Keystone line--fight the proposed Sand Hills route to begin with if there wasn't a huge public stink over it? Do you think politicians routinely do things that are going to get them fired from their jobs if the public's not behind them? Do you THINK.

Since this seems to be a little too difficult for you to understand, let me spell it out. There was no legitimate reason to run the pipe through the sand hills to begin with, except that it was the shortest, cheapest route for Trans Canada--there were other options. If a leak occurred in the Sand Hills, it would be devastating to the water supply for millions of people--the leak would pour right into our only source of drinking and irrigation water. The state--led by the REPUBLICANS HERE--pushed to move the route of the line to a safer area--that way if there was a leak, it could be contained--they did NOT work to block the line all together. It looks like the pipe will wind up running in another area of the state now, away from the aquifer, and along the existing Keystone line in Nebraska. That's where it should have been planned all along. This has been explained over and over--I'm not explaining it again. I'd suggest you read a da*n newspaper yourself before you start asking more ridiculous questions.

Last edited by mb1547; 01-19-2012 at 09:10 PM..

Old 01-19-2012, 08:59 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,665,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Yet Obama would rather have us dependent upon oil from the Middle East region than our bordering ally Canada?
Then explain why foreign being shipped to America has been going DOWN, instead of up under President Obama.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:01 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,665,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
How much more proof do people need to realize that he is out to destroy America?
Then explain why Obama is determined to destroy America. He has two young daughters, you know.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:19 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,301,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Roy--I don't think the fellow from Canada was complaining about the pipe line--just commenting that Trans Canada was obnoxious, and that we have every right to be concerned about the aquifer and to push for a new route--that's exactly what we've done.

FYI--they can evidently go ahead and start work on other parts of the line without the permit. Obama didn't approve the permit, because the Nebraska portion is going to be changed dramatically--as you know, they're completely rerouting the line away from the Sand Hills--now the push is to make sure it's also routed away from the areas east of the Sand Hills that still have high ground water and are tied into the aquifer. When the Nebraska portion is completed, Obama can sign the whole thing, but the work isn't delayed in the meantime.

The state department has worked hand in hand with Trans Canada on this application from the beginning--they WANT it approved--so I'm sure Obama knew all about this plan before his announcement. As long as Trans Canada's work doesn't involve a federal permit--and starting the line down south evidently doesn't--then it doesn't involve Obama. It's not his decision to tell--it sounds like what Trans Canada does beyond the plan to cross international lines is between Trans Canada and each individual state.

I'm a republican, but I think this talk of bypassing Obama on this issue, etc. was just wild talk on the part of a bunch of tea party republicans who had no idea what was going on or what the truth was--I don't think they cared what the truth was--and who were looking for every way possible to spin this badly for Obama because of the elections. Once again, he's made them look like ranting idiots screaming that the sky is falling. Personally--I'm sick of it. The sooner the tea party republicans learn to shut their mouths and actually deal with facts--to go after REAL issues vs. turning every little thing into some kind of plot--the better off we'll be, because looking foolish is becoming a pattern with them. It's embarrassing, and it's hurting the party.
I mentioned my Congressman, Huelskamp, in a long winded DM to you and I think he is very likely to do what the Tea Party asks him to do since he has voted exactly what they want ever since getting there. I am overcome with the job he is doing in the House and love to listen to him speaking on the floor as he takes Dems to task. Anyway he thinks that the plans are too near complete to do what The One has done. I will have to say that because he said from the outset that he wanted to hold off till after the election had to turn back to that to stay with his base. I heard a Congressman from Arkansas talking about the company down there that had manufactured all that pipe for this one and now they don't seem to need it for a year of two. That costs them jobs, storing facilities and hurts the cash flow of the company. I don't think many of those workers will be voting for Obama.

Yes, Huelskamp goes along with about everything Tea Party and he is sure that this one is purely political. I talked with him after a phone town hall last night about this one. Get him on YouTube sometime, Tim Huelskamp, and watch him take Dems to task.

Hey, the Tea Party is not a national organization and Huelskamp is working for his constituents Tea Party of not. People talking about the Tea Party and avoiding the fact that they are local or maybe state, in some cases make me go along with them. Of course, those people in Nebraska surely don't go along with that pipeline running through that first area, do they?

Huelskamp is just as unhappy with the Republican establishment like Boehner, as with the Dems. He says that when he wants to do something to fight the establishment from either party he always hears the same reply. Wait till the election. I wonder when they will start working on Senators to take the Senate back. I am not sure they can defeat Obama and surely we would be in for another two years of nothing if that doesn't happen.

I think this deal has been handled and Nebraska stood up for the people as they should have.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:21 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,301,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Truly a wacky country.....makes Idiocracy looks like a Mensa documentary when compared to the Good Ole Usa.
Yeah, but what other country can all this fighting get done in? We need to keep what we have and I don't see any to have that happen unless we get rid of Harry Reid control of the Senate and keep Nancy Pelosi away from the Speakership.

No place else in the world can people fight like we do and then come together when attacked or something like that.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I mentioned my Congressman, Huelskamp, in a long winded DM to you and I think he is very likely to do what the Tea Party asks him to do since he has voted exactly what they want ever since getting there. I am overcome with the job he is doing in the House and love to listen to him speaking on the floor as he takes Dems to task. Anyway he thinks that the plans are too near complete to do what The One has done. I will have to say that because he said from the outset that he wanted to hold off till after the election had to turn back to that to stay with his base. I heard a Congressman from Arkansas talking about the company down there that had manufactured all that pipe for this one and now they don't seem to need it for a year of two. That costs them jobs, storing facilities and hurts the cash flow of the company. I don't think many of those workers will be voting for Obama.

Yes, Huelskamp goes along with about everything Tea Party and he is sure that this one is purely political. I talked with him after a phone town hall last night about this one. Get him on YouTube sometime, Tim Huelskamp, and watch him take Dems to task.

Hey, the Tea Party is not a national organization and Huelskamp is working for his constituents Tea Party of not. People talking about the Tea Party and avoiding the fact that they are local or maybe state, in some cases make me go along with them. Of course, those people in Nebraska surely don't go along with that pipeline running through that first area, do they?

Huelskamp is just as unhappy with the Republican establishment like Boehner, as with the Dems. He says that when he wants to do something to fight the establishment from either party he always hears the same reply. Wait till the election. I wonder when they will start working on Senators to take the Senate back. I am not sure they can defeat Obama and surely we would be in for another two years of nothing if that doesn't happen.

I think this deal has been handled and Nebraska stood up for the people as they should have.
Roy--I don't think the DC republicans, or your Kansas congressman, understood that Trans Canada can go forward with working on lower pieces of the line without the permit, and I don't think Obama felt it was his job to tell them that in his news conference. According to an article quoting Trans Canada, it looks like there won't be a delay now on building it--they can start working down south without the permit, and get it approved later when the plan for the Nebraska section is completed. It would be silly for them to try to pass a law to go around the president on this now, because there's not a problem anymore. As soon as we negotiate the final route for the Nebraska portion, it will be signed by the president. The Obama administration wanted this pipeline built from day one--they were trying to force it through--and Nebraska republicans were the ones that made them alter the plan. I'm just glad we got it moved away from the aquifer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies