Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does an entertainers political views sway your decision to listen or watch their work
yes 35 25.18%
no 62 44.60%
depends, sometimes 44 31.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 06:52 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times

Advertisements

Guess that if you are part of a system that rewards you big time for being a celeb - you are going to support these idol makers that use celebs to distract the people from real issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 07:00 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,335,485 times
My theory is that actors, as so many other artists, believe they have to be "pushing the envelope" in order to have their artistic expression be taken seriously. Artists are never content to do what has already been done before, to improve on the tried and true. They have to be doing something new and different, the very definition of a liberal. The liberal politician is always pushing for change rather than focusing on the traditional ways. The conservative values the traditional ways and so is never excepted as a great artist or "forward thinking" leader because the conservative sees no need to change what has been working throughout time. So, the artist and the liberals, usually Democrats, seem to go hand in hand. Whereas the conservative artist would be seen as an oxymoron.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:01 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Here's another one not on the list--Karl Malone, former NBA player. I don't know his overall poltics but he is a longtime hunter & outdoorsman who is on the NRA board of directors. Another pro-gun celeb is Eva Longoria who said she learned to hunt and shoot as a girl growing up in (IIRC) Texas.

I didn't know about 50 cent. Have to check into that. Thanks for the link.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
I would love to talk politics with Brittney Spears some time...

The curiousity as to why (or at least how she'd answer the question, "why") is killing me...
Check out this list:
40 Celebrities Who Are Democrats

Now check out this list:
40 Celebrities Who Are Republicans

it's obvious which list has the more intelligent actors. Several actors such as Matt Damon went to places like Harvard and other lesser known universities before becoming actors.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:11 AM

59,089 posts, read 27,318,346 times
i voted yes only becaus of what some have done with their positions.

I will NEVER have anything to do with Jane Fonda.

I like George Clooney as an actor. I don't agree with him politically but, I do respect him because I saw him once in an interview. He was informed, polite, and discussed the issue in an intelligent manner.
I respect people of all persuasions, until they do something to cause me to loose that respect.

Sean Penn comes to mind. He does photo ops then leaves.

Celebrities need to understand that when they make political statements, the only reason they get airtime is because they are celebrities, there could be repercussions.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:18 AM

If radio personalities can express their uber right wing opinions then so should celebrities....

Old 02-09-2012, 07:20 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
My favorite movie of all time is To Kill a Mockingbird but ever since I found out that Robert Duvall is a staunch conservative, I've never been able to look at Boo Radley quite the same.

And then there was Hank Williams Jr. and the fool he made of himself over Palin (whoops, I said her name; I'm probably going to be accused of being obsessed with her) in '08 and how he butchered his song Family Tradition by changing the title and the words ("It's a McCain/Palin tradition..."). I've never forgiven him for that.
There you go with that Palin name......

I love Robert Duvall he's good honest man but now that he's a staunch conservative, I'll go out and buy all he's movies!!!

As far as Hank Williams Jr if you didn't know before that song, you never knew Hank. Now, I'm waiting for Merle Haggard to see his party's been hijacked by Liberal loons!!

Old 02-09-2012, 07:22 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
I wonder what's 50 cent's basis for being a Republican...

He does realize the Democrats and Republicans have completely changed ideology ever since the MLK/Lincoln/Roosevelt era, yes?

That's not to say there can't be conservative blacks, or he isn't a conservative black however (like Herman Cain)...

Old 02-09-2012, 07:25 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
No, but I bet it makes Repugs squirm to see some of those "Hollywood LIBERALS" are actually Repugs, too!

And, YES, a LIBERAL celebrity does affect how Repugs feel about them...they hate them....pages and pages of proof right here in CD so no worming out of it...
Like we didn't know, doesn't mean we like their acting or singing.

At least their there to buck the system, that's tough and that's worth supporting them. Who would know Britteny Spears is a REBEL!!

Old 02-09-2012, 07:28 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Their political position does not affect which movies I watch. I only care when they use their status to advance a political agenda like that hypocrite Michael Moore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies