Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 02:31 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,391,726 times

Advertisements

Is it environment? Family history? Experiences, particularly early in life? Schooling? Religion (or lack thereof)? Culture?

I think it's some combination of the above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 02:41 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,975,697 times
It's hard wiring in the brain.

Right wingers have a lower portion of the brain that is larger dealing with feelings of disgust and fear.

Left types have a higher brain area that is larger and deals with sorting out conflicting stimuli.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:50 PM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
1) The biased media both the news media and Hollywood, especially television. I mention television only because it's watched by rich and poor, young and old, black, white or brown so it has a big reach and if you aren't aware of it, you may never even realize only one viewpoint repeatedly hammered home.

2) That followed by schooling (teacher influence - get 'em when they're young)

3) followed by peer influence (if you are surrounded by X, you're X bubble too - like that New York City famous person who when finding out Bush won couldn't understand it because everyone she knew voted for Kerry)

4) followed by personal life experience (for example, knowing nothing in life is free and freebies and discounts are paid by someone somewhere or being out in the world and impacted by things like cost of living and taxes, having a relative in the military or one who is gay, disabled, addicted, incarcerated, unemployed, etc.)

Old 05-11-2012, 02:58 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,809,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
It's hard wiring in the brain.

Right wingers have a lower portion of the brain that is larger dealing with feelings of disgust and fear.

Left types have a higher brain area that is larger and deals with sorting out conflicting stimuli.
I agree, I think it all comes down to intelligence and being able to think for yourself.
Both strong traits of left leaning people, and lacking in those to the right.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:59 PM

749 posts, read 838,501 times
Quote:

Then what happened in your case?

Old 05-11-2012, 03:05 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
Is it environment? Family history? Experiences, particularly early in life? Schooling? Religion (or lack thereof)? Culture?

Well, if when you were born, you come out feet first and running forward, you are a Dem. If you come out head first and thinking, you are an Independent. If you come out butt first, you are a Repub and resemble that 1st impression you made.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:08 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,152,398 times
I was under the impression it was a coin.

One side = unthinking, argumentative, oversensitive, irrational bigot 'A'.
The other = unthinking, argumentative, oversensitive, irrational bigot 'B'.
If it landed on the edge = thinking, rational and tolerant (hence the rarity).

Old 05-11-2012, 03:13 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
The insanity of the opposition. Even some sane points they actually (involuntarily) suggest sound dangerous.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:27 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post

Great question. My students and I were discussing this exact topic this week. I think it's a mix depending on the person. In my case I was brought up conservative, But didn't become liberal until I got out in the real world and saw just how hard it was for people who played by the rules to make a decent living. And my religious convictions helped me shed my contempt for the less fortunate, which also led me further from conservatism. But due to my upbringing, I still have a few conservative views left, and likely always will.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:31 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times
Quote:
Case in point. This post above. Poster cannot escape the limitations of her (i'm not making this up) reptilian area of her brain.

I only had to read only the first sentence. She claims the media has "liberal bias"

Someone dominated by more higher brain functions would simply go to an objective report that shows that Sunday talk shows, talk radio, Cable news, Newspapers, produce much more commentary from right wing pundits and GOP congressman. it's not even close.

Facts can't penetrate her beliefs. The area of the brain that deals with conflicting stimuli too small, area that deals with fear and disgust, too large.

I rest my case.
Why are you attacking a poster?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies