Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does an entertainers political views sway your decision to listen or watch their work
yes 35 25.18%
no 62 44.60%
depends, sometimes 44 31.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 10:55 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
One of music historys funniest moments, IMO, is during Woodstock when Pete Townsend whacked that goof ball Hoffman over the head and sent him running like a baby into the crowd after Hoffman took over Petes stage. Hilarious. I don't think the Who were in it for the politics, they just wanted to get rich. Good for them for being so honest.
Pete Townsend is pretty Conservative. I remember reading a Rolling Stone interview with him once and i was surprised by how strident he was.

That said, i love the Who regardless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Typically I do not care due to ignorance on my part as I do not see or read the media pieces which deal with celebrity politics. Two cases I was aware of did have an effect are Spike Lee's criticism of Clint Eastwood when both came out with war films dealing with WW2. I saw neither in the theater but Spike Lee's specifically due to his comments. I did view it later on cable and it was a disaster. (Strangely enough it was almost Klan like in affirming black stereotypes)
A Miracle at St Anna?

Were we watching the same film? Geez.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:05 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Blacks fight among each other behind enemy lines.
Blacks interested only in sex.
Blacks indecisive about what to do without instruction from seniors.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:13 AM

409 posts, read 318,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why do people find loudmouth's to be so admirable? As if Nugent is the only guy on Earth that is proud of being an American.

Lots of people aren't afraid to speak their mind. Why is that such a big ass deal?
Because he isn't a "loudmouth". He backs up every single thing he says. Have you ever seen him shoot before? Have you ever seen him play before? He invented speedpicking for the most part. He's still highly regarded as one of the best guitarists in the world. One that isn't a druggie and stands up for the Constitution, as well as the common man. That's more than an artist. That's a hero!

Old 01-19-2012, 11:18 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,600,003 times
Default I voted no

If you really enjoy this person's art, then their political views shouldn't affect it. You just have to disagree with their stance and ignore their politics. I think it's silly to admire an artist for years and then find out they're opposite of your political spectrum and then not admire them anymore.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:19 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
WTF?
Please, come join the rest of us in the 21st century.
Its not nearly as scary as you think it is.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:21 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxQ View Post
Because he isn't a "loudmouth". He backs up every single thing he says. Have you ever seen him shoot before? Have you ever seen him play before? He invented speedpicking for the most part. He's still highly regarded as one of the best guitarists in the world. One that isn't a druggie and stands up for the Constitution, as well as the common man. That's more than an artist. That's a hero!
Yeah.....he was also into underage girls.
A LOT of underage girls.
BTW, Pat Metheny can play rings around Uncle Ted.
And yes, I've seen him.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:22 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
It was in the film. I saw it and did not expect it.

WTF? and little emoticons adds nothing to an argument. If you saw it and differ so state. Some smarmy one liner is hardly topping.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Well, from my time in the Army, i know 3 things for sure:

ALL soldiers bicker with each other during war. That's kinda goes hand in hand with trying not to get your ass shot off. That's why following orders is so important....a hell of a lot of folks won't agree with them.

ALL soldiers are strongly interested in sex. And yea...even during wars.

MOST soldiers don't have a clue about what should be done without instruction from strong leadership. As much as we as a society love to lionize soldiers, most are wet behind the ear kids that can barely wipe their behinds good. Average age of soldiers in war is usually somewhere around 19. I wouldn't trust most 19 year olds to do a good job washing my car.

So again, i disagree with your view of the movie, but oh well.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:25 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,600,003 times
Sorry to go a little off topic but since there are Ted Nugent fans here, is it true that he covered himself in crap to get out of going to Viet Nam?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies