Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 10:32 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,685,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Do Mormons get favorable treatment in federal contracts?

Do schools (BYU excepted) recruit less qualified Morman students to meet an afirmative action target?

Do Mormons get special treatment (reduced qualifications demanded) to be municipal employees?

Does the federal government have special programs and grants for Mormons?
EXACTLY! Great post.

Time to move forward and stop whining.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:36 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,950,010 times
Mormon is a belief system, African American is an ethnicity. Is this what they call an "apples v. oranges" argument? Anyway...does it really need to be spelled out? I imagiine a Jew might say that there is a lot of anti-semitism in some states but... in the main, Jews are white and that in and of itself confers some pretty undeniable advantages. Mormons I've noticed, in the main... are white. Do we need to take this particular sub-topic any further?

H (wondering if blacks are so highly favored by the Federal Govt. still have some impresseive unemployment figures. poverty figures, poor health outcome figures... just how much favoritism is being handed out these days?)

Old 01-18-2012, 10:46 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,265,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Okay, so I suggest you take your own advice. Why don't you go to the Utah Forum right now and start a new thread, asking for non-Mormon participation only, and maybe even include a poll. I bet you would be surprised at the results. (By the way, at least half of the people who regularly post there are not Mormons.) You can post your link on this thread when you're through.
What advice?

A question was asked about whether or not Mormon claims of being discriminated against more than blacks were valid. I said that i don't know, and that it doesn't matter anyway because playing the whole "who faces more discrimination" game is stupid on it's face. It doesn't matter.

Then the question was brought up as to whether or not Mormons get special treatment at the hands of our government or do they get any preferential treatment, period. My answer was that i doubted it, but i really didn't know....but that i DO KNOW that they get special treatment in Utah.

Outside of that, i don't give a damn about Mormons, the Mormon faith, or how much discrimination they do or don't face. I have no interest in posting in the Utah thread, making a poll, or eliciting participation in a conversation about Mormons vs non-Mormons in Utah.

So you know....whatever.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:54 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,144,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
Based off what? Poor white males are the group most discriminated against in this country.
So you’re making this claim with what facts to back it up?

Old 01-19-2012, 12:04 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,708,766 times
i feel bad for the black mormons

Old 01-19-2012, 12:08 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,207,950 times
And people were weirded out by JFK and having a Catholic President.
Katzpur already made some very good posts, so I have nothing to contribute- but I do believe that Mormons are indeed one of the most discriminated-against religious groups in America. Their lot has unfortunately been further defamed by Warren Jeffs and his bunch off loonies.

One of my best friends is Mormon (they're...fairly lax in their family, though) and to be honest, it's never made a difference- she's my friend all the same.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:10 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,207,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I probably shouldn't have laughed at this, but I did.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:17 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,407,796 times
Quote:
no more curse of cain though.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:29 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,385,883 times
80% of prison population is blacks. How much is it for Mormons?

Old 01-19-2012, 05:13 AM

674 posts, read 699,464 times
Quote:
Absolutely. The two are not mutually exclusive in spite of the fact that, given the mormon history of racism, they logically should be. It's sad that some black people can be found who will join religions that come right out and say blacks are inferior.

The insane thing here is that mormons have engaged in anti-black racism as part of their own religion. And yet they suffer from more discrimination? Right....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies