Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2012, 02:55 AM

446 posts, read 649,515 times

Advertisements

It's been a good while since I've been active on this site, and anyone who remembers me or does a search will know I have tended to be very liberal on LGBT issues, which was fueled in large part by my being gay.

There is one in particular, however, that I used to be big on: the issue of homophobic bullying. I used to be all over that issue like the white on rice, being an outspoken critic of the rabidly homophobic among us.

I have also often used the term "hypocrite" to describe conservatives.

Between then and now, however, I've realized something: the biggest hypocrites in America today are not conservatives... they are LGBT people.

As is pretty obvious by looking at the photograph and info on my profile, I am a young gay black guy. This has put me in a prime position to see the hypocrisy of the LGBT crowd first-hand.

That hypocrisy comes in the form of LGBT people and their allies railing against homophobic/transphobic bullying... yet a large number of them are bullies themselves--just with different targets.

Let me start off with racism. Sure, I've been the target of racism at the hands of straight people, but the VAST majority of the racism I have gotten has come from non-black gay people, of all demographics.

It's not all of them, but it's definitely a solid majority, that they refuse to let black people into their social circles, refuse to date black people, and just outright show disdain for blacks in their daily lives. Hell, a lot of them won't even SPEAK to blacks unless a black person stands in between them and a cheeseburger at McDonalds or something.

If I had a dollar for every time I have been called the 'N' word and other miscellaneous racial slurs by non-black gays, I'd be able to go out and buy me a brand new Cannondale... after I have already purchased an annual Regional Pass for my local transit system, AND purchased a brand new iPad on top of it.

On the other hand, if I instead got that dollar for every time I've been called the 'N' word by straight people, I'd not even be able to afford a Huffy, and forget about that transit pass and the iPad!

I find it quite ironic and hypocritical how so many gay people get up on the TV, radio, and on the Internet to rail against bullying targeted at gay people, then get off of such media, go into the outside world, and show such nasty racist attitudes. Racism is, quite obviously, a form of bullying.

Don't think I am leaving my own race out of the woodshed though. When it comes to my fellow black gays, it seems like a lot of them have turned into really repugnant rabid reverse racists (heh, try saying THAT five times fast). They are guilty of bullying, also--not just against whites, but against the black gays that don't act like thugs (in the case of the masculine ones) or like divas (in the case of the feminine ones).

Aside from racism specifically, many are guilty of other forms of bullying too. Thing about me is, I am a guy that gets bullied non-stop, in all kinds of environments... and most of that bullying--the beatings, the harrassment, the defamation of my character--comes from other gay people, a good number of whom are vocal critics of homophobia. Most of said bullying is based on my small stature, my morals, and my looks in general--in other words, shallow stuff. Since they don't find me "attractive" (read: not a 'white knight' with a six-pack), they target me for bullying, rather than respecting me as a fellow human being. They are repulsive, abhorrent bullies themselves, and have no standing to speak out against any bullying they or their comrades receive, until they clean up their own act.

To put it simply, while so many gay people are complaining about bullying, they often act like bullies themselves. Now, keep in mind, I am NOT saying ALL gay people are like this, but a good number are, and it's perhaps the biggest example of hypocrisy out there today...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 03:15 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
LGBT May be totally obvious to you but i have no clue what those letters mean..

Old 01-21-2012, 03:16 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,306,249 times
Interesting post.

Highly unfortunate, to say the least.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:17 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,306,249 times
LesbianGayBisexualTransgendered.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:04 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,512,585 times
Interesting topic but I Have to say the irony is kind of thick but not in the way you intended or thought of given one of your status updates was: Alan Keyes = Uncle Tom

So it would appear that you yourself are guilty of some of the bigotry you say you're against.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies