Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 07:26 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
It appears the purge of the lefty loons is taking root in the upper northwest as they all leave California a mess and move on to new cities to push their insanity on all. I honestly thought this was a story from The Onion when I saw the headline.

DRAPER, Utah (CBS Las Vegas) – One Utah school district believes a cougar mascot would be insensitive to women.
The Canyons School District overrode the students top choice of a cougar mascot for their high school that is to be completed in 2013.
Would-be Corner Canyon High School students chose the Cougars as their mascot — a name principal Mary Bailey said carries an ugly connotation that is disrespectful to women.

In popular culture, the cougar is a sexually aggressive middle-aged woman who attracts younger men.
The school board, which consists of six men and one woman, thought the Charger would be more appropriate, which was on the ballot but failed to appeal to students as the cougar had.

Utah School Board Says Cougar Mascot Too Offensive To Women « CBS Las Vegas

This is so f'n stupid.

My daughter will enter HS next year and move from a MS Colt to a HS Cougar. That is their mascot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 07:36 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times
Quote:
Your just not paying attention. The lefty kooks have been migrating north after their destruction of California the last five year. It starts with things like this then onto bigger and better like raiding the state treasury to pay for their nonsense. I'm sure the illegals will follow too soon. Seattle for one has welcomed them with open arms.
I've gotta get myself a new 2012 map of the U.S.A. My old one doesn't have Utah north of California.

If all those lefty kooks and illegals keep leaving California for Draper, Utah, it won't be long before Draper's not 85% Mormon.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:40 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,231,338 times
Quote:
Then your more confused than most thought you were.
Not confused about who would find the stereotype of woman "cougar" more offensive, a feminist liberal or a rigid "proper role of women" conservative. That's your confusion.

Maybe some Utahans can add here, but it's my understanding that Utah still has a very conservative culture, and liberal transplants are the exceptions, not the ones making school policy.

Would you say that BYU's policy of forbidding Sunday play on its sports fields (if that rule still holds) is an example of liberal PC run amok?

Old 01-22-2012, 07:54 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,224,716 times
Default Hot Cougars.

Since I am very non PC am going to post pics of a few really hot Cougars and see how many are offended.
www.angelfire.com/ct3/bigcats/cougar-pictures.html

Old 01-22-2012, 07:57 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Lefties Utah???
My thoughts exactly. Sounds more like doings of the religious right.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:25 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Sounds like someone just got wind of a trend word...haha. Knee jerks can be funny to watch. Hopefully they will be inundated with letters, emails and texts cluing them in on the underground meaning of "Charger", even if people have to make something up

Old 01-22-2012, 11:36 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,793,105 times
Its all nonsense, in high school we were the "Blue Demons" and the churchs' every few years would try to get the public high school to change it. Cougars/Demons whatever its just a name. I'd like to see a day when a team could be called the jit bags and no one would get offended.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:43 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Its all nonsense, in high school we were the "Blue Demons" and the churchs' every few years would try to get the public high school to change it. Cougars/Demons whatever its just a name. I'd like to see a day when a team could be called the jit bags and no one would get offended.
Devil's Lake ND used to call their high school sports teams the Satans. Now, that was a name that deserved some controversy. But "cougars?" sheesh. I pity the poor old cougar on the school board that got upset about the name.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:46 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
It appears the purge of the lefty loons is taking root in the upper northwest as they all leave California a mess and move on to new cities to push their insanity on all. I honestly thought this was a story from The Onion when I saw the headline.

DRAPER, Utah (CBS Las Vegas) – One Utah school district believes a cougar mascot would be insensitive to women.
The Canyons School District overrode the students top choice of a cougar mascot for their high school that is to be completed in 2013.
Would-be Corner Canyon High School students chose the Cougars as their mascot — a name principal Mary Bailey said carries an ugly connotation that is disrespectful to women.

In popular culture, the cougar is a sexually aggressive middle-aged woman who attracts younger men.
The school board, which consists of six men and one woman, thought the Charger would be more appropriate, which was on the ballot but failed to appeal to students as the cougar had.

Utah School Board Says Cougar Mascot Too Offensive To Women « CBS Las Vegas

really? would they be satisfied if people start referring to the moms that are complaining "whores" instead?

Old 01-22-2012, 05:53 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I wonder how many of the students knew how this term was used?

I'll bet few of them or none, they do now though.
\

That principal should be forced to drink hemlock for corrupting those innocent youths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies