Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 02:07 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Again, if an uneducated CHILD can perform your job with equal skill, then the free market is not what the workers are competing with, it's their marginal-at-best skillset.
Yea, but everyone in America can't be rocket scientists. We need well paid manufacturing work....even if it can be done cheaper elsewhere.

I don't see how this country can be viable if the only two skill sets that exist are nuclear physicist on one end and burger flipper on the other. There has to be something in between that pays well enough to sustain a middle class.

That said, we made this bed, now we have to lay in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 02:25 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yea, but everyone in America can't be rocket scientists. We need well paid manufacturing work....even if it can be done cheaper elsewhere.

I don't see how this country can be viable if the only two skill sets that exist are nuclear physicist on one end and burger flipper on the other. There has to be something in between that pays well enough to sustain a middle class.

Well, we shouldn't have two extremes...even though the two extremes up there are so far apart they are pretty ridiculous.

However, the manufacturing base we saw in the 1950-1960's isn't going to come back. We had a world devastated by war, both from a manufacturing base and a population base, and we had very strong unions that existed because we needed so many people to rebuild everything. Starting the 1970's onwards other countries got in the fray and lowered costs with cheap energy that can ship industrial products anywhere in the word. These products are getting smaller and more powerful as well, leading to easier times shipping them anywhere and keeping them in stock for extended periods of time.

Pining for the old times with high paid manufacturing industry jobs isn't helping anyone. Those jobs paid for a good middle class lifestyle at the time, but the world moved on. Many kids of that time moved to skilled labor, either trades or college. People should have started to learn 40 years ago when the jobs started declining in pay and moving offshore to go other places for work. Stubbornly plodding along in the same direction and paying no attention to the world will get you the shaft, as it has many people.

There are a number of more middle paying jobs, many in high demand that require some training even though they are more service oriented. Guess what though, you are going to have to deal with people and education instead of metal and muscle...it's a fact of life now a days. Pining for "the old days" isn't going to help anyone, least of all the person doing the dreaming. If people don't want to work or learn past the necessary minimums for high school equivalency, they will be surpassed by people who do. Those people will take the jobs as they can do them with more competency, not based on where the people live or their family history.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:30 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,461,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Thanks for posting. I had read the article earlier this morning. I was pleased to see that each worker was given a whole biscuit as well as a cup of tea before beginning their 12-hour shift.
You forgot to mention that the 4000 workers (that were sleeping in the company dormitories) were waken up at night, once the new displays arrived...

Bottom line: what Steve Jobs and his good friends demand is - modern slavery. Human robots controlled by corporations. In America these and other similarly shameful practices were banned almost 100 years ago.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:39 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
This is a lengthy, yet excellent article about China that points out how it's not just cost they're beating us on in manufacturing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/bu...lass.html?_r=1
So, basically the US does not have enough people who are as skilled and hard working as the Asians. Or rather who would agree to be treated like robots/slaves. I believe it.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:41 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
For those who didn't click the link:

Quote:
New screens began arriving at the plant near midnight. A foreman immediately roused 8,000 workers inside the company’s dormitories, according to the executive. Each employee was given a biscuit and a cup of tea, guided to a workstation and within half an hour started a 12-hour shift fitting glass screens into beveled frames. Within 96 hours, the plant was producing over 10,000 iPhones a day.
“The speed and flexibility is breathtaking,” the executive said. “There’s no American plant that can match that.”

This, ladies and gentlemen, is what unions fought tooth and nail to stop, before your corporate overlords convinced you that they were bad, bad things.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Well, we shouldn't have two extremes...even though the two extremes up there are so far apart they are pretty ridiculous.

However, the manufacturing base we saw in the 1950-1960's isn't going to come back. We had a world devastated by war, both from a manufacturing base and a population base, and we had very strong unions that existed because we needed so many people to rebuild everything. Starting the 1970's onwards other countries got in the fray and lowered costs with cheap energy that can ship industrial products anywhere in the word. These products are getting smaller and more powerful as well, leading to easier times shipping them anywhere and keeping them in stock for extended periods of time.

Pining for the old times with high paid manufacturing industry jobs isn't helping anyone. Those jobs paid for a good middle class lifestyle at the time, but the world moved on. Many kids of that time moved to skilled labor, either trades or college. People should have started to learn 40 years ago when the jobs started declining in pay and moving offshore to go other places for work. Stubbornly plodding along in the same direction and paying no attention to the world will get you the shaft, as it has many people.

There are a number of more middle paying jobs, many in high demand that require some training even though they are more service oriented. Guess what though, you are going to have to deal with people and education instead of metal and muscle...it's a fact of life now a days. Pining for "the old days" isn't going to help anyone, least of all the person doing the dreaming. If people don't want to work or learn past the necessary minimums for high school equivalency, they will be surpassed by people who do. Those people will take the jobs as they can do them with more competency, not based on where the people live or their family history.
Those extremes are ridiculous that i outlined, but obviously i put that there for exaggerated effect. But the truth is, there is fear that the nation is becoming just that stratifed....extreme haves and extreme have not's.

I don't buy for a minute that American nostalgia for what was is silly. No other nation on Earth has done as much to decimate their own manufacturing base as this one (i'm talking about first world nations), and to boot, many people seem to be proud of it.

I realize that things can never be the way they once were, but i'm not interested in living in a service industry nation.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:55 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,138,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There was a false premise that third world countries would rise to be equal to that of the US.

It was April Fools on us as we see our standard being lowered.
The recent spate of jobs coming back are coming back at lower salaries and less benefits.

The joke of globalization is on us.
I remember well hearing " we're going to level the playing field" and thinking translation lower the USA standard of living

Old 01-22-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
I remember well hearing " we're going to level the playing field" and thinking translation lower the USA standard of living
That was how i translated it at the time too.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:12 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

So don't be a rocket scientist. Be a manager or an electrician or a bookkeeper. The argument "All I know how to do is push a button, therefore I deserve a middle class lifestyle pushing a button" doesn't work.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
So don't be a rocket scientist. Be a manager or an electrician or a bookkeeper. The argument "All I know how to do is push a button, therefore I deserve a middle class lifestyle pushing a button" doesn't work.
We aren't going to sustain a large middle class with bookkeepers and middle managers.

Yea, we need mechanics and electricians, but there still needs to be good wage manufacturing work.

Look, we disagree. That's all there is to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies