Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 01:32 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times

Advertisements

someone already got a 24 hour head start on this topic.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ut-iphone.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 02:55 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,138,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
what are the odds that you would still have both your hands if those regulations all went away?

EDIT: btw if businesses were going away that would be a good thing, their manufacturing is going away, that's a very different thing
Same odds as today . Btw how are we to compete with others that dont have to follow the same restrictions and hurdles? and what you mean business going away a good thing?

Old 01-23-2012, 03:01 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I'll read it in a little while when I have more time and comment, but I want to go ahead and mention that I think it's ironic that liberals b*tch and moan about Walmart for having manufacturing done in China, but not about Apple (a "liberal" company). It's so funny. Any libs care to explain the difference?
Absolutely no different to me. And, no, I own no apple products, though I do buy groceries at WalMart.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:05 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
If it means living in a company dorm and being subjected to bullying where suicide starts looking like a better alternative, they can keep the jobs there, we don't need that kind of job or conditions here.

Foxconn Suicides Rise at Shenzhen iPhone, iPad Factory - TIME

work to live, don't live to work.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:16 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
someone already got a 24 hour head start on this topic.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ut-iphone.html

Oops.

While I guess this thread is a bit more general, I agree it should be merged.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:26 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
And you're so smart... ... ok, Einstein... how much more do you think an I-Phone would cost if it were made in the U.S.? Double? Triple? How much more if the Apple Executive Branch took a 50% pay cut overall? Know what? You're right! We are stupid.

H
Actually going by the numbers, if the iPhone was made in the USA too, it would have cost about $65 more per unit.

Anyway, the point of the article is that the US cannot hope to compete with China for low-skilled manufacturing jobs, so the unions who hold onto the last of them right now should kiss them goodbye and work constructively with corporations to get higher skilled jobs.

Boeing is a great example. WA state recently announced a $20 million joint venture with Boeing to train and hire more machinists and assembly personnel where they will, for the most part, work for Boeing in WA. There's similar education going on in other parts of the country too, especially where Spirit Aerosystems is.

Boeing is constrained in how much they can export and where because of tight Intellectual Property and technology export rules. And the current Pres. and not even the dumbest more parroted puppet of either party (*cough* George W Bush ... *hack* Obama) won't acquiesce to industry's demands to loosen them since technology is all we have left over them.

SO, in the presence of rules to prevent highly technical work being exported, they spend pennies to train highly qualified people. And if they ever decide to leave Boeing, they take that experience with them, say to work a roboticized plant for BMW, or Ford. Speaking of BMW, they just opened a CNC machine shop for carbon composite parts east of the cascades, in Moses Lake (cute little town btw). They've hired about a thousand last I checked, due to the highly skilled labor there.

Training, education, and hard work are the only ways to compete with China, and we will win that fight so long as their culture is more "knock down the highest pin" or "cut the tallest blade of grass" mentality, just like Japan.

And who knows, maybe luck will be on our side. China's real estate market was the only place to dump money because of strict rules on investing and domestic returns. Now people getting a 30% haircut in their home valuation is not unheard of now. Some say that the figure will likely climb to 60% in some areas. China, for all its manufacturing might, can't outgrow a staggering collapse like that, not in a global economy like this.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:49 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,193,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I'll read it in a little while when I have more time and comment, but I want to go ahead and mention that I think it's ironic that liberals b*tch and moan about Walmart for having manufacturing done in China, but not about Apple (a "liberal" company). It's so funny. Any libs care to explain the difference?
The only thing 'ironic' in your comment is that you're just one biased, uninformed partisan whining about your fellow biased, uninformed partisans.

Incidentally, other than in your emotions, how is the publicly traded Apple a liberal company. Do you have to have that political leaning to buy the stock?

Old 01-23-2012, 05:57 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,961,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
You know, that's the same old beaten argument that has never made any economical sense. You legislate a 400% tariff on this product and the Chinese will retaliate by posting tariffs on US exports. Thus, it becomes increasingly expensive to purchase US products, demand declines while a competitor not subject to those tariffs (i.e., a non-US company) gets a leg up. Voila, all you have accomplished is an increase in US unemployment. In addition, Apple will simply shift it's manufacturing to the next inexpensive option that is not subject to such tariffs. You still don't get those jobs to come back to the US unless you manage to reduce costs to a level that is competitive with those foreign nations. It's called capitalism and most people seem to like it just fine - as long as they are on the benefitting end. In terms of direct product costs, they are.
Your saying that it is fine when everyone but the elite in the world have to compete for jobs, correct?

Then why does the US have such a lopsided pay scale for CEO's and Bankster's here in the states vs the rest of the world?

Could it be that the elite in our government and the big heads of banks and corporations all vote on each others boards to keep their game going while screwing over everyone else?

Old 01-23-2012, 06:01 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,961,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Americans also have a pesky habit of not realizing that if an illiterate 10 year old Chinese boy can do the same thing you do, equally as well, that perhaps what you can do isn't worth 30 bucks an hour and a pension plan, because there's not much skill involved...

And there are thousands of CEO's and Banksters throughout the world, that get paid a fraction of what the ones in the US get paid. They have no problem finding CEO's in other countries to lead large corporations.

Sounds like their paid too much and not worth what they make.

We need to open up the borders and let these aspiring CEO's come in. It will save the company a lot of money and be more efficient not having to shell out 200 million dollars versus 200,000 dollars.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:23 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
If it means living in a company dorm and being subjected to bullying where suicide starts looking like a better alternative, they can keep the jobs there, we don't need that kind of job or conditions here.

Foxconn Suicides Rise at Shenzhen iPhone, iPad Factory - TIME

work to live, don't live to work.
Yeah, but the hipsters complaining about oil company profits won't complain or boycott apple because they were shallow little turds that were really just complaining because it was politically expedient.

I guess the peace movement etc. of the 70's had a pile of fakes too just hanging out for the weed and the sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies