Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 09:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What..the kids are going to lick off the paste and throw the rest away ?
No, they are going to get the entire pizza and eat it.

The tomato paste on pizza allows the pizza to be counted as a vegetable on that kids tray.

One slice of pizza and cup of broccoli..kid has 2 vegetables.
Yes, and a serving of protein (cheese on the pizza) and a serving of bread (crust). What is it about combination foods that you don't understand? A bowl of chili would count as a vegetable serving as well (tomatoes), plus proteing (ground beef) and a carb (kidney beans).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 09:11 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,838 times
... and my apologies for the entire pizza discussion which has nothing to do with the Milk discussion.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes, and a serving of protein (cheese on the pizza) and a serving of bread (crust). What is it about combination foods that you don't understand? A bowl of chili would count as a vegetable serving as well (tomatoes), plus proteing (ground beef) and a carb (kidney beans).
I see.

So you don't have a problem with the tablespoon of tomato paste on the slice of pizza counting as "1 vegetable." That's fine, that is your opinion and you are certainly allowed it.

Personally I think that's ridiculous. I think pizza is junk food (particularly the cheap frozen stuff they serve in schools).

I think if the Gov't is footing the bill for school lunches then they should minimize junk food. And playing cute with the tomato paste so the cheap and easy frozen pizza satisfies the "1 vegetable" requirement isn't in the best interest of the kids.

Just like I think it's ridiculous that a plate of greasy fries count as "1 vegetable" but thanks to the Idaho lobby, they do. More cheap junk food.

We can agree to disagree, I just wasn't clear on what you were getting at with the micro-semantic argument.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
I see.

So you don't have a problem with the tablespoon of tomato paste on the slice of pizza counting as "1 vegetable." That's fine, that is your opinion and you are certainly allowed it.

Personally I think that's ridiculous. I think pizza is junk food (particularly the cheap frozen stuff they serve in schools).

I think if the Gov't is footing the bill for school lunches then they should minimize junk food. And playing cute with the tomato paste so the cheap and easy frozen pizza satisfies the "1 vegetable" requirement isn't in the best interest of the kids.

Just like I think it's ridiculous that a plate of greasy fries count as "1 vegetable" but thanks to the Idaho lobby, they do. More cheap junk food.

We can agree to disagree, I just wasn't clear on what you were getting at with the micro-semantic argument.
Apparently you haven't read any of my previous posts. I said I didn't agree with the decision to call that little dab of tomato sauce a vegetable serving. In fact, I said that at least twice. That still doesn't mean that the feds were calling pizza a vegetable.

Pizza can actually be a fairly healthy food if prepared properly, e.g. not a lot of greasy meats for toppings.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:31 PM

Thats why i said i was confused by your posts!

If you don't agree then why do you go on to defend the semantics?

We all know they didn't say verbatim "pizza is a vegetable." But by allowing that tomato paste to count as a serving of vegetables they make it legal for pizza to count as a vegetable.

Have you seen the pizza they serve in school lunch programs? Believe me, it's not the healthier kind you can make from scratch at home.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:35 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,971,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
USDA Bans Whole Milk in Schools. Rolls Out Major School Lunch Reforms. | Healthy Living - Yahoo! Shine

Yep. Government will tell your kids what they should eat and drink because obviously parents don't know anything. I heard that soon they will be asking you to turn over your kids to the government as soon as they are born, so that the government can raise them in the best way possible. Parents suck. Government knows best!
If you're a parent, well maybe YOU don't suck, but there are a ton that do and don't teach their kids how to make good choices with the food that they eat. The result: kids who go to get the pizza, the fries, the chocolate or whole milk, every day, and then the parents wonder why they gain weight.

Sometimes, government has to step in because these parents aren't doing it themselves.

Edit: I noticed back here is the "pizza is a vegetable" ruling discussion... I'm pretty sure that they ruled that the TOMATO SAUCE IN THE PIZZA is a vegetable. Which is true, so I don't see what the problem is. Make it with a whole wheat crust and it's actually not that bad for you.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
Thats why i said i was confused by your posts!

If you don't agree then why do you go on to defend the semantics?

We all know they didn't say verbatim "pizza is a vegetable." But by allowing that tomato paste to count as a serving of vegetables they make it legal for pizza to count as a vegetable.

Have you seen the pizza they serve in school lunch programs? Believe me, it's not the healthier kind you can make from scratch at home.
I continue to defend the "semantics" as you call them b/c words have meaning! No one in congress classified pizza as a vegetable. That is RW hyperbole, even if it's not true that a serving of pizza with no added vegetables (which would be rare) does not contain a full serving of vegetables. I hate hyperbole! Is that reason enough for you?

BTW: I believe in my district, the pizza is made from scratch.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:46 PM

Alrighty then.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:23 PM

57 posts, read 63,869 times
I graduated from HS recently. I always drank whole milk because I was underweight and needed extra calories. The the school kept replacing normal food with low-calorie food so my options were more limited. It's annoying how the government starts controlling things like this just because some people can't control how much they eat.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:24 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic3t View Post
I graduated from HS recently. I always drank whole milk because I was underweight and needed extra calories. The the school kept replacing normal food with low-calorie food so my options were more limited. It's annoying how the government starts controlling things like this just because some people can't control how much they eat.
Couldn't you drink/eat whatever you wanted at home? Or was "the govenrment" controlling that too?

You may have withered and died without "the government" giving food to you at school ehh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies