Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2012, 11:24 AM

62 posts, read 70,797 times

Advertisements

Being the Op with this post I love all the great discussions and replies and the other not so interesting responses.. However I think it is really great that a majority of us can discuss it like adults and just share our stories. So here goes mine!

Over this past weekend I found myself in a court room I was there supporting someone dear to me as well as scratching my head as to why that person was even there. I anxiously waited for the judge to walk into the courtroom and began to look around the room at my surroundings I was quick to wonder what each and every person was there for that day. Some where there for harmless things.. Unpaid tickets, speeding 5mph over the limit and some for domestic issues and then their were the more serious ones along the lines of DUI's, Murders, assaults and possession things like that. I was quickly drawn to the two front rows of the court room seating. Approximately 20 - 30 little children between the ages of 9-13 filled the seats carefully watching the judge and the prisoners. The defender stood up while the Judge was away and told the children, if at any time you have questions please raise your hand.. I read the back of their shirts they all read.. My personal choice is to fight all the odds and be Drug Free, I have more to live for! as the day went on and they shared their stories and asked their questions we all watched ruling after ruling and sentence after sentence I was going to be their a while because my family members name was last on the Alphabetical list!!! A young man and woman whom were serving time in the local jail stood up and shared their story to the children about why they were their, and how their life had been effected by drugs. They also said that their first addiction of choice was Marijuana.. A little girl raised her hand and said, My mother and father do drugs do they love me? tears filled my eyes.. a little boy said my dad shoots up IV needles and never wanted to play with me I am not with my Grandparents will he ever change? and a little girl stood up and said.. my Biological mother smoked Pot with me and did some other things it effected me but did it effect her to? All these questions all of these stories broke my heart I to as an adult have my own stories of how Pot has effected me.. My brother started out smoking Marijuana, he said after a while it just did not do the trick for him anymore so he started using other drugs.. He is now 29 years old and will never walk again because of that addiction he is confined to a wheel chair. I don't judge anyone who chooses to make drugs like this a part of their life or their choice.. But i am happy to be drug free and to not have to turn to these things for relaxation or an escape route because no matter how bad life knocks me down I will choose other ways to cope and to me that just shows me how strong I really am and can be!!! I wish everyone the best of luck in life whatever they choose but don't influence others to try these things.. not everyone can smoke one joint, and walk away the rest of their lives!
Thanks
Worrywart23
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 12:08 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
Too awnser the OP: I say No it is not a gateway drug anymore then Beer, Vodka or Rum would be and it should be legal and sold and Regulated/taxed like Booze and Tobbaco products currently are...

Old 02-02-2012, 12:17 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worrywart23 View Post
Being the Op with this post I love all the great discussions and replies and the other not so interesting responses.. However I think it is really great that a majority of us can discuss it like adults and just share our stories. So here goes mine!

Over this past weekend I found myself in a court room I was there supporting someone dear to me as well as scratching my head as to why that person was even there. I anxiously waited for the judge to walk into the courtroom and began to look around the room at my surroundings I was quick to wonder what each and every person was there for that day. Some where there for harmless things.. Unpaid tickets, speeding 5mph over the limit and some for domestic issues and then their were the more serious ones along the lines of DUI's, Murders, assaults and possession things like that. I was quickly drawn to the two front rows of the court room seating. Approximately 20 - 30 little children between the ages of 9-13 filled the seats carefully watching the judge and the prisoners. The defender stood up while the Judge was away and told the children, if at any time you have questions please raise your hand.. I read the back of their shirts they all read.. My personal choice is to fight all the odds and be Drug Free, I have more to live for! as the day went on and they shared their stories and asked their questions we all watched ruling after ruling and sentence after sentence I was going to be their a while because my family members name was last on the Alphabetical list!!! A young man and woman whom were serving time in the local jail stood up and shared their story to the children about why they were their, and how their life had been effected by drugs. They also said that their first addiction of choice was Marijuana.. A little girl raised her hand and said, My mother and father do drugs do they love me? tears filled my eyes.. a little boy said my dad shoots up IV needles and never wanted to play with me I am not with my Grandparents will he ever change? and a little girl stood up and said.. my Biological mother smoked Pot with me and did some other things it effected me but did it effect her to? All these questions all of these stories broke my heart I to as an adult have my own stories of how Pot has effected me.. My brother started out smoking Marijuana, he said after a while it just did not do the trick for him anymore so he started using other drugs.. He is now 29 years old and will never walk again because of that addiction he is confined to a wheel chair. I don't judge anyone who chooses to make drugs like this a part of their life or their choice.. But i am happy to be drug free and to not have to turn to these things for relaxation or an escape route because no matter how bad life knocks me down I will choose other ways to cope and to me that just shows me how strong I really am and can be!!! I wish everyone the best of luck in life whatever they choose but don't influence others to try these things.. not everyone can smoke one joint, and walk away the rest of their lives!
Thanks
Worrywart23
Your post shows how poorly the war on drugs has gone. It's reflected by the fact that narcs think they only seize 10% of the underground drug market. I shudder to think what children might conclude should they hear of that. They are liable to think they've been lied to all along about how harmful drugs are or else the government would be doing a better job of protecting them from drugs.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:05 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worrywart23 View Post

Thanks
Worrywart23
Worrywart23, I thank you for your story. I've to wonder why these kids were there, wearing shirts against drugs and not alcohol.

I'll give you a story, my sister in law was addicted to meth, she used a needle in the privacy of her bathroom, her kids never saw that, she was alert and wired for 3 days. When she came down marijuana was her choice to claim her and let her get through the come down. Her kid's seen and smelled the pot, so those, kids would've thought it was the marijuana that made her act the way she did, (they were ages 1-13). When in truth, she didn't smoke, until she was ready to relax from the meth, that she had been putting in her veins. She died at the age of 37, we then had to explain to her children what killed her.

Another story, had a neighbor who carried a coffee mug around all the time, the kind with a lid, he told me it was his drug of choice, I never wondered, thought it was coffee. I was talking to a friend of his, (this was 5 years later) and come to find out it was bourbon and water. He had this mug in his possession most of the time, disguised as coffee.

I still feel it's the governments way to control us, scaring children into false pretense, the same way they did in the 70's. I'm glad for all people like you, who can chosen to not have things, that they can become addicted to in life. The problem is our government hasn't tried to stop any of these things from coming into our country and they continue down the road of blaming the people and lying to our children. I also, find it hard to believe, people buy marijuana from Mexico.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:54 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,121,674 times
To the OP. Kids have easier acces to all drugs because they are not controlled. If u want to believe the gateway theory, prescription drugs, ciggies, and beer are gateway drugs. The gateway theory is bunk.

100,000,000 people tried pot

3,500,000 people tried heroin

Gateway theory debunked....

Old 02-04-2012, 06:48 AM

62 posts, read 70,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
To the OP. Kids have easier acces to all drugs because they are not controlled. If u want to believe the gateway theory, prescription drugs, ciggies, and beer are gateway drugs. The gateway theory is bunk.

100,000,000 people tried pot

3,500,000 people tried heroin

Gateway theory debunked....

No no i don't want to believe it is a gateway drug it is just what I have been explained throughout all of my research on it in life! Yes I agree not only are the kids not controlled but they are not disciplined and some have parents who stay strung out they just bring them into this world and think that it's enough!

I still have a lot of life left to live I hope so we will see if my theory ever gets (debunked)!!!

Last edited by lady_independent; 02-04-2012 at 06:49 AM.. Reason: Misspelled a word and I hate when I do that!

Old 02-04-2012, 09:54 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Another story, had a neighbor who carried a coffee mug around all the time, the kind with a lid, he told me it was his drug of choice, I never wondered, thought it was coffee. I was talking to a friend of his, (this was 5 years later) and come to find out it was bourbon and water. He had this mug in his possession most of the time, disguised as coffee.
Wow! You couldn't smell the bourbon?

I had a teacher that used to drink like 17 cans of coke a day. He disguised it in a coffee mug too. It's kind of funny that people accept coffee addiction but not other types of addiction--even caffeine in other forms. I love coffee and am probably in the "addicted" range (though I switch to decaf after two cups) but I also don't judge people for their other addictions. Addictions are usually a sign of an underlying issue. People become addicted to something cause they're trying to cope with some kind of emotion or situation. I think almost everyone is addicted to something--even if it's not a substance. Some people are addicted to sex, or the feeling of being powerful (by bullying people in real life or playing Internet Tough Guy on CD, etc).

Old 11-06-2013, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 299 times
yes, it is. i started smoking weed when i was 12 and now im a herione addict trust me it it. i got board

Old 11-06-2013, 10:29 AM

8,065 posts, read 12,779,194 times
If Marijuana is a "gateway drug" it is only because our laws have forced users to go to illicit drug dealers for purchase. The drug dealer may offer buyers other drugs in addition to the marijuana. If people were allowed to grow marijuana at home they would have no contact with illicit drug dealers.

In my opinion marijuana is no more a gateway drug than is alcohol.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:30 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,952 times
Alcohol is, was, and always will be the greatest gateway drug,
of all time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies