Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2012, 12:29 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
That's the opposite of logic. How long do you want to shiled someone when you expect them to be a fully fuctioning adult at 18?
I know, right? Guess they propose giving them an "official handbook" on their 18th birthdays?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 12:35 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,211,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
So in your opinion, is it better to just "not talk about it" - and then turn a blind eye as they experiment with sex, while learning the facts on their own? Doesn't sound like a great plan to me, if that's what you are suggesting.
Perhaps you should read the entire thread before making ridiculous assumptions.

Not even close.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
Perhaps you should read the entire thread before making ridiculous assumptions.

Not even close.
Hence the reason I posed it as a QUESTION, rather than an assumption... sorry, but I haven't gotten around to reading all 9 pages of responses quite yet.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
All this sex education at earlier ages is good ? Physically they know all the details but are they mentally mature enough to understand the long term ramifications ?

Getting into the "pregnant page" of your high school yearbook should not be a goal for teenage girls.

41% of births in 2008 were to unmarried women compared to 28% in 1990.
The New Demography of American Motherhood - Pew Research Center

Old 01-29-2012, 01:14 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Speaking of 'graphic content', I bet those parents wouldn't have a problem with a 14 year old reading the whole Bible.
Case in point:

Quote:
Genesis 19:6-9

Lot went outside to meet them and shut the door behind him and said, “No, my friends. Don’t do this wicked thing. Look, I have two daughters who have never slept with a man. Let me bring them out to you, and you can do what you like with them. But don’t do anything to these men, for they have come under the protection of my roof.â€

Old 01-29-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
All this sex education at earlier ages is good ? Physically they know all the details but are they mentally mature enough to understand the long term ramifications ?
Yes to the first question, and usually yes to the second - assuming the information is provided in an age-appropriate manner, which is clearly a subjective opinion.

Quote:
Getting into the "pregnant page" of your high school yearbook should not be a goal for teenage girls.

We're discussing teen pregnancy, not single motherhood... and polls have shown the rates of teen pregnancies dropping in recent years. In fact, the very link you posted says just that: "Mothers of newborns are older now than their counterparts were two decades ago. In 1990, teens had a higher share of all births (13%) than did women ages 35 and older (9%). In 2008, the reverse was true -- 10% of births were to teens, compared with 14% to women ages 35 and older." Thanks for proving our point, LOL.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:18 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,231,338 times
Quote:

[/url]
Are you saying that sex ed in schools is meant as training for getting pregnant?

And that teens won't know how to get pregnant if they don't get sex ed?

Old 01-29-2012, 01:24 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,211,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Hence the reason I posed it as a QUESTION, rather than an assumption... sorry, but I haven't gotten around to reading all 9 pages of responses quite yet.
HA!

You've been around here long enough to know better than to jump into a CD thread in the middle (yes I am just kidding you).

Mine was in response to someone's response to an earlier post so the context was pretty well lost by then.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
HA!

You've been around here long enough to know better than to jump into a CD thread in the middle (yes I am just kidding you).

Mine was in response to someone's response to an earlier post so the context was pretty well lost by then.
Yeah, it can get a bit confusing at times! Apologies for misunderstanding your comment, which makes more sense now that I have read back a little farther.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:33 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,812,053 times
Quote:

Let's pull this back to the specifics here. This girl is 14. Not 11. FOURTEEN. That is past the early stages of puberty. She has grown up parts and raging hormones. And so do her peers.

At this point, she needs to understand what sex is, how it works, and be able to put things in context. She spends all day around a bunch of her peers with the ability to get pregnant or to impregnate.

I can understand parents wanting to control the context. I'm a parent myself, I get that. But in a school situation, how long are they supposed to wait? At what age is to "too early"? They have adult bodies and if you say nothing, the hormones will lead the situation. That's better? At what age are you to assume that parents have informed their children of where they stand on the issue and what they expect from them?

In this book, the sex is part of a context that is not glamorous. It is centered around a specific group of people struggling to come of age under difficult circumstances. 14 is really too young to grasp these concepts while simultaneously understanding how this may be different from what they want to do in their real lives? I'd rather they get a sense of what sex means in this context than the glamorized version of female sexuality that happens in pop music frankly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies