Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the U.S. mandate paid vacation / days off for all employees?
Yes 58 37.18%
No, keep it the way it is 94 60.26%
No opinion 4 2.56%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 04:46 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
And if you would pay attention to the rest of the post instead of only focusing on one thing, you would have noticed I also said that if the company didnt offer what they want, then they should look for somewhere that will.
That's unrealistic even in the best of times, let alone a recession. Americans by and large can't afford to turn down jobs over the issue of vacation....which is why it rarely ever happens.

Again, what world do you live in? This stuff is coming off as fantasyland stuff where the working world is perfect and employees are treated as some wonderful asset that can go into the bosses office and ask for what they want and get it! Aint happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 04:48 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
There isn't a single poster that said anything about vacation time not being given at all by ALL businesses in any given state.

I'm talking about the "negotiating" nonsense. There is no negotiating, and i don't believe 99% of the people (100% of people on C-D) that claim that they can negotiate for more vacation at their jobs. There is little to no truth to that.

Only very high upper management in corporate America can negotiate vacation. Everyone under that takes what's offered and no more.
the poster you replied to about vermont was saying no business there gives vacation time and gave the reasoning, you replied back and said it wasnt just vermont that was that way and not anywhere close.

you are so stuck on the one thing about negotiating that you are unable to see anything that is being said or to even respond to anything else a posts.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:52 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,465 times
Quote:
That's unrealistic even in the best of times, let alone a recession. Americans by and large can't afford to turn down jobs over the issue of vacation....which is why it rarely ever happens.

Again, what world do you live in? This stuff is coming off as fantasyland stuff where the working world is perfect and employees are treated as some wonderful asset that can go into the bosses office and ask for what they want and get it! Aint happening.
Maybe it just isnt happening to YOU.. which would probably mean it isnt the fault of the big bad corporations, it would possibly be something from yourself.

I mean seriously, when an employee comes to me, I try to help them in any way I can, but if they had the attitude like you seem to that businesses are evil entities, I probably would not be so willing to help them out.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:02 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
If you don't like your job, or want more vacation, find another job. If you can't find another job, start your own business or continue your education. If you can't do those, well, you aren't trying hard enough.

Anyone can take online classes at accredited schools. Almost everyone has access to free internet, or already has it in their home.

No one is holding anyone back.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
If you don't like your job, or want more vacation, find another job. If you can't find another job, start your own business or continue your education. If you can't do those, well, you aren't trying hard enough.

Anyone can take online classes at accredited schools. Almost everyone has access to free internet, or already has it in their home.

No one is holding anyone back.
Come on Memphis...that's simplistic, and you know that. And starting your own business is quite often NOT the way to get more time off. Most self employed people that i know find out very quickly that it's the opposite.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:18 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Maybe it should be, "If it works for Google, it could work for every business".
And again maybe it should not be. Do you seriously think that all businesses in the country should be run like Google?

Old 01-31-2012, 05:24 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,813 times
Quote:
We need minimum vacation laws.
No, according to this poll we don't.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:27 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Come on Memphis...that's simplistic, and you know that. And starting your own business is quite often NOT the way to get more time off. Most self employed people that i know find out very quickly that it's the opposite.
Well I can agree with the self employee'd working a lot.

But its not overly simplistic, I believe.

The company I work for offers me about 8 weeks a year paid vacation. But I went to school, got a degree, and earned that. Before, I was working in factories with two weeks off a year, non paid for.

I did something about it, I went to school, I learned something. Others can do the same.

I am not for the federal government tinkering with businesses like that. My dad, for instance, a small business owner, would have to shut down if he offered his employees more then two weeks off a year. But hey, if an emergency comes up, or something special, you can talk to him and its very likely he'll give you the extra time anyway.

Of course its unpaid for, but hell they can barely pay the bills as it is.

The government shouldn't be regulating time off, no.

Hell my dad only gets about a weeks vacation a year, and his is unpaid for, and he's the owner.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Well I can agree with the self employee'd working a lot.

But its not overly simplistic, I believe.

The company I work for offers me about 8 weeks a year paid vacation. But I went to school, got a degree, and earned that. Before, I was working in factories with two weeks off a year, non paid for.

I did something about it, I went to school, I learned something. Others can do the same.

I am not for the federal government tinkering with businesses like that. My dad, for instance, a small business owner, would have to shut down if he offered his employees more then two weeks off a year. But hey, if an emergency comes up, or something special, you can talk to him and its very likely he'll give you the extra time anyway.

Of course its unpaid for, but hell they can barely pay the bills as it is.

The government shouldn't be regulating time off, no.

Hell my dad only gets about a weeks vacation a year, and his is unpaid for, and he's the owner.
Yea, but in my experience, anything more than 4 weeks is EXTREMELY rare with the exception of senior executives. My own wife is pretty damn high up in the civil service and gets 8 hours per pay period. That works out to about 4 weeks a year.

In my own gig, only the PM gets to negotiate, and he gets no more than 4 weeks himself. I did just like you...i have my degree (had it since forever) and i've never been able to finagle anymore than 4 weeks. I'm 46, and i've had only 1 job that negotiated vacation time....paid or not. I can't complain about my pay, but the bennies suck ass, and as much as i've looked, it's very difficult to find anything that's doing much better in that arena.

In fact, i'm about to change jobs sometime this year, and even though the new gig will pay decently, nearly everyone starts out with 2 weeks and that's after a year on the job. Only the tip top managers (a tiny circle) earns more vacation.

Look...i don't want the federal government to drop the hammer in a fashion that would hurt businesses, but requiring 2 weeks a year isn't unreasonable. And since all of your competitors will have to do the same by law, it doesn't give one business a cost advantage over another.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:09 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Believe me, it aint just Vermont...not even close. Again, unless you're in the very high levels of management, you're not gonna be negotiating anything. You take what they offer...period, point blank. I don't know what world these other guys are living in.
Oh I know, but I was using a location I'm most familiar with as an example...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies