Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should food stamp recipients be restricted from buying food that the government considers 'junk'?
Yes, there should be restrictions 98 77.78%
No, there should not 24 19.05%
Not sure 4 3.17%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 02:23 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,480,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Would you rather see legislation to eliminate food stamps altogether?
yes./.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 02:25 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
More big government and anti-freedom legislation from the GOP, how unsurprising
Beggars can't be choosers.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The problem with too many restrictions, like we see with WIC, is that it's a PITA to administer. I've been behind WIC ppl too and the cashier is constantly having to look things up and take items out for non compliance. It's not junk food, just maybe the wrong size or flavor or brand or something that is on the list. I can't imagine doing that on a larger scale and obviously either can the government.

Scale back the program, give to those who actually need it, monitor the situation but don't micromanage it.
I agree, more restrictions would make the administration harder. Another issue is just what IS junk food? While some people think that's easy to answer, it's not. I'd probably favor some restrictions if it weren't so hard to figure out. I'd also allow toilet paper and some cleaning supplies.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:24 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
I think food stamps should be in the form of voucher, not in the form of a card in which you can buy almost anything inside a grocery store.

WIC is a good example of a program that works well, and is cost effective.

Americans won't allow people that work to go hungry, its just against our moral fiber as a nation. But that doesn't mean you should be buying candy bars and potato chips.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:08 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Actually, it's fairly easy to sell and barter ebt monies. A roommate I had many years ago used to buy food for people who would then give him cash (usually at about half of what he bought the food for, do he could buy cigarettes and booze. He worked under the table at a restaurant so he got fed for free and claimed near zero income.
That's easy? There's always a way I guess...it just depends on how people are willing to go to abuse it. Having to go buy food for other people so you can sell it to them at a discount is a lot more trouble than food stamps used to be. Food stamps were like cash...all people had to do was sell at a discount to others and then they did what ever they wanted to with them.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:23 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Florida food stamp bill is latest attempt to restrict junk food - latimes.com

Is this a good thing, or is it a violation of freedom and choice? Keep in mind: It's the government that will decide what is 'junk' and what is not.
Tax-payers are footing the cable bill, oops, I mean the food bill, so tax-payers should have a say in what may or may not be purchased.

The gimme-gimme crowd has yet to figure that it's a give and take world. What they want is you give them money with no strings attached. Sorry, it doesn't work that way.

Restricting...

Mircea

Old 02-01-2012, 12:19 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I agree, more restrictions would make the administration harder. Another issue is just what IS junk food? While some people think that's easy to answer, it's not. I'd probably favor some restrictions if it weren't so hard to figure out. I'd also allow toilet paper and some cleaning supplies.
Absolutely - along with a few hygiene products, particularly those of the feminine variety. I think about that sometimes when I buy my own feminine products... as a woman yourself (I assume), can you imagine not being able to afford those? What do they do?!

Old 02-01-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I think food stamps should be in the form of voucher, not in the form of a card in which you can buy almost anything inside a grocery store.

WIC is a good example of a program that works well, and is cost effective.

Americans won't allow people that work to go hungry, its just against our moral fiber as a nation. But that doesn't mean you should be buying candy bars and potato chips.
No matter what the form, some people would find a way to cheat the system. Food Stamps used to be issued in the form of "monopoly money"; that had its problems, too. I don't like fraud, but I can tolerate a little bit b/c I know there's no way to eliminate it altogether.

@gizmo980, yes, I'm a woman. Yes, that would be an issue.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:34 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Default Some states want to restrict food stamp recipients from purchasing 'junk' food

I would like to see food stamps only used in government bulk food stores, basic good food you need to cook and no question what you can and cannot purchase.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I would like to see food stamps only used in government bulk food stores, basic good food you need to cook and no question what you can and cannot purchase.
Do you realize how much more expensive it would be for the govt. to maintain such stores, especially in rural areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies