Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 02:45 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
If they are drawing income from a monopoly. Kind falls under the obvious category.

You think these guys earned it burning oil at midnight? I mean are you dumb or something?

How many companies has Oracle and Microsoft bought out? Buying up the competition has two components. One of them is a gain in efficiency, which can be legit but is frankly a good cover for something more sinister. The income that is derived from pricing power gained through the death of a competitor takes money from everyone else including the poor.
I suppose I should have stated that I was talking about America.

I couldn't care less about peoples in other nations.

They do not have our freedoms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Take on this one.

List of mergers and acquisitions by Microsoft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Buying the competition is everywhere in the real world. I remember the groans when IBM bought out Informix because everyone knew IBM was boxing them in again.
It's good business to expand your company by buying up the competition.

Let's say I own a company with 100 employees....a larger company makes me an offer that I can't refuse.

Am I obligated to turn down the offer?

Old 02-01-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
The thread was how does it make people poor. That make people poor because of Microsoft's market dominance where I saw them stifle competition right in front of my face. Was I hallucinating when they polluted the APIs on the Java IDE?

You obviously don't know much about the join us or die negotiating techniques as was discovered by Blue Mountain Arts or others that chose to resist. They were made as rich as was allowed under the threat of facing off against a monopoly.
You should improve your business model if you want to say in business.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:50 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I suppose I should have stated that I was talking about America.

I couldn't care less about peoples in other nations.

They do not have our freedoms.
None of them? Really? Oh boy...

Old 02-01-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
You think McDonald's couldn't pay $30/hr and not have to charge $19 for a Big Mac? Oh boy, the "if we pay workers more we have to pass the costs on to the consumer" argument again. Wouldn't it be awesome if corporations held their executives and their shareholders to reasonable levels of compensation and dividends? Maybe it would take them 5x as long to become billionaires but they would, eventually, and in the meantime everyone else could at least live a little better.

Hmmmmm

H
That is not my argument.

Mine is this....why would I pay someone $10. an hour when I have people willing to do the very same thing for $5.00 an hour?

Minimum wage distorts the free market.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
How about if I invented the first electric can opener?

What if I designed it, marketed it, and built the first can opener?

What if so many people wanted one, that I had to hire other people to help me build, advertise and distribute them?

What if my can opener company was so successful that it employed a few hundred people? Did I just create more poor people? Or did my small invention enrich the lives of a few hundred people, and even add income to the producers of the raw materials i purchased to make my can opener, the TV, radio magazines and newspapers i advertised in, and the many store owners and truck drivers who sold or delivered my can opener? Not to mention all the lives I made better with my little invention.
Simplisitic and if that is in fact what was happneing this thread would not exist. What if you hire thugs to kidnap and transport workers to your factory where they are given only food and water but no actual wages. Are you making their lives better?

H

Old 02-01-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
That is not my argument.

Mine is this....why would I pay someone $10. an hour when I have people willing to do the very same thing for $5.00 an hour?

Minimum wage distorts the free market.
define "willing"...

Old 02-01-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Presently it goes into cash holdings offshore

Wrong.. Say you have a town of 100 people, 1 owns a factory, the other 99 work for that factory.

1 rich person, but the other 99 people arent poor.

They could be, it all depends on how ruthless the rich guy wants to be. What if he only employs 45 people in town and sources the rest from a neighboring town with a much, much lower COL? What if he employs none of the people in town and sources all his labor from a poor town nearby? What if he flies in really, really poor people from a poor country far away? Its all up to him.

H
So you're saying that out of 99 people, not ONE of them has the ambition to start their own business?

Thinking like yours is what keeps people poor.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:01 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Simplisitic and if that is in fact what was happneing this thread would not exist. What if you hire thugs to kidnap and transport workers to your factory where they are given only food and water but no actual wages. Are you making their lives better?

H
How pathetc the left has to go in order to make an argumen because thuggary, kidnapping, and transporting unlawful detainees is illegal.

Tell me how you are taking wealth from these individuals?

Old 02-01-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
it's unrelated.

HOWEVER

We share the same country. Thus, when the country is in trouble, EVERYONE must do their fair share.

Your post is a strawman argument.
Okay.

What is the responsibility of the recipient class in this picture?

We top 10% pay 70% of the federal taxes.

The bottom 47% pay zero.

Perhaps the recipient class should take a cut (not a freeze, an actual cut).

Perhaps the 47% should start sending in checks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies