Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 09:44 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,358,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Yes, and we should do away with prosecuting muggers and rapists and murderers in the tough inner city areas ... after all, if the victims are too stupid to stay out of those areas, they deserve what they get, right?
No, but we should get all the facts which the article starting this thread is woefully lacking. For instance, you can make any vehicle get far less MPG than its EPA estimate depending on load and the manner/conditions it's driven in.

G i.e.: There are people who put 'petal to the metal' at every green light. Guess what? That's not part of the EPA driving cycle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 09:45 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,809,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
What I see are two sides of the same coin. We all agree the "estimates" are off. You seem to blame Honda and absolve the woman. I blame the woman for trusting the USG.

Why do you hate corporations? Why do you not find fault in the USG (and the woman for that matter)?
There is no need to hate anything or anybody here, but condoning stupidity. Facts:

1- EPA ratings are "estimates" as they are conducted in controlled, standardized settings.
2- EPA rating sticker makes it clear that driving conditions/style will ultimately decide the mileage. And NO vehicle is immune from that fact.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:49 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,116,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
BS. How exactly is this everybody else's but her fault? As I said in my response to you in the previous page, she may be dumb but the justice system is clearly dumber.

Except that, as I said in the earlier page, EPA estimates are NEVER presented as a guarantee. She was a fool for taking it as it, or a lot smarter than people she has used to buy into her ideas and succeeded.

Have you EVER seen what the EPA sticker says?

EPA estimate has a lot more information on it, for people who choose to be educated about it (and it doesn't take much, just a quick reading provides you with an information).

BTW, it is an estimate for ALL vehicles, hybrid or otherwise, but I guess anti-environmentalists have to fume somehow, use anything for an excuse as long as they can push their propaganda.
We are not in disagreement. This woman is foul for trusting the USG "estimate" and letting a slimy salesperson hoodwink her into believing those numbers were absolutes, and maybe even understated. Afterall, she brought 50mpg into the discussion. Since it's not known where the "50mpg" proclomation came from, we (I) can only assume that she's just another ignorant consumer who sees the USG as infalliable and big corporations (Honda) the devil reincarnated.

I despise people like her. I really do.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
We are not in disagreement. This woman is foul for trusting the USG "estimate" and letting a slimy salesperson hoodwink her. Since it's not known where the "50mpg" proclomation came from, we (I) can only assume that she's just another ignorant consumer who sees the USG as infalliable and big corporations (Honda) the devil reincarnated.

I despise people like her. I really do.
She is an idiot. And so are people who think EPA estimates are "guarantees". Or, at least ignorant of facts.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:54 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Quote:
I once rented an apartment from a 30-something female and over time became friends with her and her friends. A running joke within their circle was to "avoid men in Corvette's at all costs." Apparently, there's a certain type of man who buys a Corvette, and at least according to these women, they're all the same: undesirable.
I avoid men who don't know how to use apostrophes.

At all costs.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:55 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,116,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I avoid men who don't know how to use apostrophes.

At all costs.
Struck a nerve, eh? You must be a Corvette owner.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:59 AM

15,061 posts, read 8,624,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
You're apparently the one who enjoys being lied to or at best nebulous claims. It's yet to be mentioned in this thread just WHERE that 50MPG number comes from or just HOW this woman calculated her mileage. That HONDA plans an appeal on this judgement speaks volumes.
And you don't read well ... I don't give a %^^& about the 50 mpg claim ... the difference between 44 mpg and the actual 30 mpg is significant enough to be considered extremely misleading ... particularly when the mechanism (battery) for that enhanced mileage benefit is prematurely failing AND not providing the benefit.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
And you don't read well ... I don't give a %^^& about the 50 mpg claim ... the difference between 44 mpg and the actual 30 mpg is significant enough to be considered extremely misleading ... particularly when the mechanism (battery) for that enhanced mileage benefit is prematurely failing AND not providing the benefit.
You don't get it.
1- EPA estimates are... estimates (computed under standardized settings).
2- EPA estimates are not... guarantees.
3- EPA estimates have a key point made on the sticker... driving conditions/style will affect actual mileage.
4- EPA estimates are also coupled with best and worst range.
5- I can guarantee better than 30 mpg on that woman's car.
6- She is an idiot. But smarter than those who made her a winner (for now). I have no doubt that Honda will be able to overturn the stupidity.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:15 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Quote:
Struck a nerve, eh? You must be a Corvette owner.
I'm actually not a big Corvette fan myself (though I have one right now - I got it because everything else out there kind of sucks and they are working on various new models of other cars that I think will be hot in a couple of years...but I gotta drive something fast now). You didn't strike any nerve except the one I have that throbs for illiterates and people who disseminate cliched misinformation.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:16 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
You apparently don't read well. She claimed the battery was detiorating, why are you so willing to accept this woman's claims as fact? And HOW was her claimed mileage determined? Under what load/conditions? IF you ever read anything about EPA estimates you might understand those estimates can be grossly affected by load/conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies