Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 06:29 AM

45,231 posts, read 26,450,499 times

Advertisements

Woman wins small-claims suit over Honda Civic Hybrid - Yahoo! Autos

Quote:
A Los Angeles Superior Court commissioner has awarded Heather Peters $9,867.

Peters opted out of a class-action lawsuit so she could try to claim a higher payment for the failure of her Civic to deliver the 50 miles per gallon (21.26 kilometers per liter) that was promised when she bought it.
Informed of the decision by The Associated Press, Peters exulted, "Wow! Fantastic."
Since none of the hybrids live up to their government mandated and ginned up claims,will owners of GM Volts follow suit? (as a taxpayer they'd be suing themselves)

Last edited by Frank DeForrest; 02-02-2012 at 06:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 07:07 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,854 times
I think it's great that a person can sue a large corporation in small claims court, and win. Perhaps we'll see more of this in the future?

Re: this specific case ... the EPA estimate (http://www.fueleconomy.gov/***/noframes/22643.shtml - broken link) for a 2006 Honda Civic hybrid is 40 mpg city, 45 mpg highway, and 42 mpg combined. This person sued Honda because she was told the car would get 50 mpg. Was it the dealer that told her that? If so, shouldn't the dealer have been sued, and not Honda?

Of course, the EPA estimate is just that - an estimate. As explained in the EPA FAQ on the estimate vs. the actual mileage (http://www.fueleconomy.gov/***/why_differ.shtml - broken link) you may get:

Quote:
... the EPA ratings are a useful tool for comparing the fuel economies of different vehicles but may not accurately predict the average MPG you will get.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:13 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,732,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
I think it's great that a person can sue a large corporation in small claims court, and win. Perhaps we'll see more of this in the future?

Re: this specific case ... the EPA estimate (http://www.fueleconomy.gov/***/noframes/22643.shtml - broken link) for a 2006 Honda Civic hybrid is 40 mpg city, 45 mpg highway, and 42 mpg combined. This person sued Honda because she was told the car would get 50 mpg. Was it the dealer that told her that? If so, shouldn't the dealer have been sued, and not Honda?

Of course, the EPA estimate is just that - an estimate. As explained in the EPA FAQ on the estimate vs. the actual mileage (http://www.fueleconomy.gov/***/why_differ.shtml - broken link) you may get:

I agree. How many fat old bald guys buy Corvettes because the salesman says it will help them score with loose women?

Old 02-02-2012, 07:15 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
I agree. How many fat old bald guys buy Corvettes because the salesman says it will help them score with loose women?
That is so true. I told my son that years ago and he's come back to tell me that it's true.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
A Honda technical expert who testified at an earlier hearing said the company was required by federal law to post the sticker estimating the highest mileage the car could get. But he said the mileage varied on how the car was driven. The company said Peters was not deceived
Truth in advertising doesn't apply to government mandates?

Old 02-02-2012, 07:23 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Woman wins small-claims suit over Honda Civic Hybrid - Yahoo! Autos

Since none of the hybrids live up to their government mandated and ginned up claims,will owners of GM Volts follow suit? (as a taxpayer they'd be suing themselves)
This disgusts me, to be honest. She doesn't deserve a payout. She was not misled. She was misguided by her own ignorance. More importantly, all this does is portray women as being stupid and easily duped. How many women are duped by auto dealers and auto mechanics every single day? There's nothing that can be done about it because it's not quantifiable. But it happens, and it's no secret. So the responsible thing to do is take a competent person with her to help her sort things out. Someone who knows cars and can explain in a non-biased way instead of relying on a SALES person. That's just being a good consumer and applying due diligence.

This woman makes me sick.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:24 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
Once upon a time, there was a brand of sneakers called P.F. Flyers. Their commercials claimed that they'd let you "run faster and jump higher." A woman in the Philadelphia area bought a pair for her son (who happened to be athletically challenged) and guess what? The sneakers didn't help him at all. So she sued the company, insisting that they stop making false claims. She won her case, and P.F. Flyers soon disappeared from shelves all across the country.

Honda is no different. Everyone should initiate lawsuits against false claims. Eventually, the manufacturers would discover a heretofore unknown concept called "truth."

Old 02-02-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
This disgusts me, to be honest. She doesn't deserve a payout. She was not misled. She was was misguided by her on devices. All this does is portray women as being stupid and easily duped. How many women are duped by auto dealers and auto mechanics every single day? There's nothing that can be done about it because it's not quantifiable. So the responsible thing to do is take a competent person with her to help her sort things out. That's just being a good consumer and applying due diligence.

So you are good with false claims because the government ok's/mandates them?

Old 02-02-2012, 07:27 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
I once rented an apartment from a 30-something female and over time became friends with her and her friends. A running joke within their circle was to "avoid men in Corvette's at all costs." Apparently, there's a certain type of man who buys a Corvette, and at least according to these women, they're all the same: undesirable.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:27 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,815,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
This disgusts me, to be honest. She doesn't deserve a payout. She was not misled. She was misguided by her own ignorance. More importantly, all this does is portray women as being stupid and easily duped. How many women are duped by auto dealers and auto mechanics every single day? There's nothing that can be done about it because it's not quantifiable. But it happens, and it's no secret. So the responsible thing to do is take a competent person with her to help her sort things out. Someone who knows cars and can explain in a non-biased way instead of relying on a SALES person. That's just being a good consumer and applying due diligence.

"Honda's proposed class-action settlement would give aggrieved owners $100 to $200 each and a $1,000 credit toward the purchase of a new car. Legal fees in the class action case would give trial lawyers $8.5 million, Peters said"

It's pretty obvious Honda was falsifying information to gain sales, and they have every right to be sued.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies