Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 09:07 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,485,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
WASHINGTON – President Obama signed the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) into law today. The statute contains a sweeping worldwide indefinite detention provision. While President Obama issued a signing statement saying he had “serious reservations” about the provisions, the statement only applies to how his administration would use the authorities granted by the NDAA, and would not affect how the law is interpreted by subsequent administrations. The White House had threatened to veto an earlier version of the NDAA, but reversed course shortly before Congress voted on the final bill.

“President Obama's action today is a blight on his legacy because he will forever be known as the president who signed indefinite detention without charge or trial into law,” said Anthony D. Romero, ACLU executive director. “The statute is particularly dangerous because it has no temporal or geographic limitations, and can be used by this and future presidents to militarily detain people captured far from any battlefield. The ACLU will fight worldwide detention authority wherever we can, be it in court, in Congress, or internationally.”
So where's the outrage over this? It flared up for about a day then it was gone. People marched in the street raising hell about the Patriot Act, but this bill seems to be okay with that crowd. What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 09:17 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
But he promises not to use it.

Now the next guy......

Stupid law. Actually Republicans forced it into the bill, and the President is signing it just to get the defense authorization passed. Both sides are at fault for this one.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:22 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,939,754 times
Just another example of the errosion of our rights. We are giving up our rights in the name of security.. It doesn't stop here.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:26 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
So where's the outrage over this? It flared up for about a day then it was gone. People marched in the street raising hell about the Patriot Act, but this bill seems to be okay with that crowd. What gives?
The OP must not be paying attention. There is plenty of outrage. Ron Paul and Rand Paul have introduced amendments to remove the unlimited detention clause and several states are considering state level nullification legislation to the NDAA on the grounds it violates the US Constitution.

I suggest the OP go to this website to read more: Tenth Amendment Center

Old 02-04-2012, 09:27 AM

In the words of Joe Biden, "this is f*ck!n serious!" Its like the outrage died the day after the report came out. Are we that deep into sheeple'dom?

Old 02-04-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The OP must not be paying attention. There is plenty of outrage. Ron Paul and Rand Paul have introduced amendments to remove the unlimited detention clause and several states are considering state level nullification legislation to the NDAA on the grounds it violates the US Constitution.

I suggest the OP go to this website to read more: Tenth Amendment Center
Thanks for the link. I guess I'm chaffed by the lack of MSM reporting on this, but knowing their track record I shouldn't be surprised.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:31 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Thanks for the link. I guess I'm chaffed by the lack of MSM reporting on this, but knowing their track record I shouldn't be surprised.
I'd suggest attending town hall meetings and placing representatives on the hot seat to defend their vote for NDAA in violation of their oath of office.

Every elected representative should be receiving a copy of this documentary:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kdiW...ature=youtu.be

Old 02-04-2012, 09:35 AM

4,991 posts, read 4,507,231 times
Where's the outrage for all of the congressman and senators who voted for it? Are they all going to be voted out for it? Frankly, most voters are not one issue voters. It's one issue that many don't agree with but it's not a deal breakers for most. I've never met a politician I agree with 100% of the time.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:37 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Quote:
Frankly, I think it is a good idea to sign the Defense Authorization Bill.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:38 AM

51 posts, read 81,499 times
Americans are sheep.

The end.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies