Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 10:14 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So the surge in retail jobs is all due to Clinton signing NAFTA ?
Nope..NAFTA didn't make those white collar jobs go to India/China/Brazil and other emerging nations.
It's kind of like the "Buy American" bumper sticker on the back of a Toyota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 02:41 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Fail, NAFTA was a republican bill, and has nothing to do with the sending jobs to China.
No, he didn't fail. It was a republican idea and republican bill, but clinton did endorse it before he was ever elected right along with his opponent. When the 2 party system offered me a choice between nafta or nafta, there's something seriously wrong. I campaigned for and voted for Perot on principles that had nothing to do with putting hate on clinton.

When the 2 party system offers a choice of globalization all hail transnational corps or globalization all hail transnational corps, that's ANOTHER non choice. And when too many non choices/ lesser of evils accumulate... here we are. It's practically against the law to change foreign policy to something that protects our fiscal interests for a refreshing change of sanity rather than import illegal immigrant poverty and export wealth with dramatic and pernicious trade deficits to China over decades.

Seems to me we've got an awful lot of lobbyists doing nearly all the thinking for politicians these days. Don't you think?

http://protectourelections.org/index.php?q=node/518

Then there's the superpacs that could very well be sponsored by Muslim Extremists, for all we know. Followed by the zombie pacs (leftover cash) covering the note on someones yacht or being donated to a pac of it's exact opposite-- say RTL leftover cash donated to planned parenthood, or vice versa.

There's a million reasons why I'm right. Doesn't matter who is more to blame than the other. It does matter this gets put in it's place once and for all.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:13 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
It's kind of like the "Buy American" bumper sticker on the back of a Toyota.
There's a toyota factory right here in WV, so believe it or not, it's not untruthful. Does it beat a ford made in mexico? Oh what a tangled web it is when parts came from china and raw materials timbuktu.

You know, I'd really really appreciate a can opener that *%$^&$& works. Not electric. Manual. I've gone through 6 of them in 2 yrs. Can't find a single one made in america built to last. American quality and pride is against the law too. Not 'cost effective'. This is the kind I'm looking for...
Quote:
The modern can opener, with a cutting wheel that rolls around the rim, was invented by William Lyman of the United States in 1870.
The kind WE invented, and WE perfected, and WE now pay chinese to make but they can't make one that doesn't fall apart in my hands or even comes remotely close to the can opener I owned for 25yrs without regret.

These lame can openers are going for $2-$8 in stores and it's the only crap on the shelf. I hate them. HATE. The choice of communist china or communist china. I'll pay $20 for a single ergonomic, American made manual can opener with a lifetime warranty that will likely outlive me. It's not rocket science. Build it like you mean it. You don't love me anymore.

Yes, I know I sound like a cranky wife with an inattentive husband. I truly do feel like one.

AND I'm not alone...
Where can I buy a made-in-America hand can opener?
Suppose we could stroll down memory lane...
Vintage Swing-A-Way Red Hand Held Can Opener on eBay!
But I'd rather you get back to work minding our own fields where you belong.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:19 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I looked at this list and sighed...no engineer or doctor or lawyer on this list.
The only one needing college is a registered nurse.

The five fastest-growing jobs in the U.S. - Austin Business Journal

Those looking to make a career change may want to consider the following five industries, which are slated to be the fastest growing in America from 2010 to 2020, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics Latest from The Business Journals Austin No. 3 for most jobs gained since recessionUH study: Consumers not affected by a recession still spend lessNashville job numbers 2.7% below pre-recession levels Follow this company :
  1. Registered nurses
  2. Retail sales people
  3. Home health aides
  4. Personal care aides
  5. Office clerks
And here's the link to the WSJ article they reference:
Bureau of Labor Statistics Forecasts Fastest-Growing Jobs - WSJ.com
Frankly, I prefer nurses to lawyers anytime

Old 02-09-2012, 04:37 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Most retail salespeople I know are making somewhere between $7.25 and $8.75 an hour. Please tell me where they are making $10 an hour?

Out of this thread this is what seems to be making you upset? Home depot-head cashiers make $10.00 an hour-

Old 02-09-2012, 05:14 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I predict there will be a major growth in the funeral industry with increasing demand for undertakers, crematorium operators and grave diggers.

No matter how good the health care everyone dies. There is going to be a lot of that going around in the next 50 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies